Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old September 25th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkRider1 View Post
Hello,

New forum member, but I've been following this thread for a while and I wanted to say how impressive this work is. Having access to these models is amazing and really makes me wish I had a 3D printer so I could finally have duplicates of some of my common squads.

I also wanted to ask if there was any way to easily help fill in missing sculpts for you, as I have a number of the figures in my collection that are missing sculpts in the list, and I would love to be able to help the community out if I can.

Cheers!
Welcome SharkRider!

These are the steps to create models from figures. If you can get the pictures for me that would be great help.

Steps
1) Spray the figures with Krylon K01310 11-Ounce Dulling Spray and let them dry. (It is temporary and eventually evaporates off the figures--or you can clean them with a cloth afterwards.)

2) Set up your photography area.
- put newspaper print or magazine picture or some other non-repeating dull (not shiny) picture paper onto a table surface
- add good lighting all around the table, pointing at the center of the paper
- add 1 to 4 figures to the center of the paper (if they are all very similar, you might want to mix and match squads or turn them all the same direction so the software doesn't get confused)
- if you have a nice camera, you'll want to use a small tripod. Set the aperature to around 25, set the ISO to 200, and set the shutter speed to something that makes the figures nice and bright (but not washed out). I usually use 1/8.
- if you have a cell phone, ignore the settings but make sure you hold it steady and keep all the figures in focus

- take 40 to 50 pictures of the figures all 360 degrees around (front, back, and sides). I keep the same distance and angle from the ground, but that is not necessary.

3) Save the pictures to computer

(at this point you could upload to google drive or other shared folder and I can do the rest)

4) Install 3DF Zephyr Free version
- open 3DF Zephyr
- First thing you want to do in 3DF Zephyr is go to the Tools tab, Options, and about half-way down check "Enable Ultra Preset"
- Go to the Workflow tab and select New Project
- Check both Generation options (Compute 3D model and compute texture). You might not need computer texture, so feel free to leave that off and try it. Textures are for displaying colors for online games.

- Add your pictures.
- Camera orientation:
Category: Close Range
Presets: Exhaustive
- Dense point cloud:
Presets: Ultra
- Surface Reconstruction:
Presets: Ultra
- Texturing presets (don't change)

- RUN
- it will take up to 12 hours to create a model

- After the analysis finishes, use the edit tools to delete the background around the figures to make the file smaller.- Save the model (File->Save)

- Export the .obj (Export->Export Textured Mesh). Change "upload to Sketchfab" to "export .obj".

The .obj files are what I clean up to make the .stl files.

Feel free to help with all this process or just part (taking pictures, or running 3DF Zephyr).
Old September 25th, 2019, 06:46 PM

SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker

Thank you!

For the picture taking, is it necessary to rotate the background newsprint as well as the figure, or can I just rotate the figure on the background to get all the photos? I have some good photography equipment so the camera setup should be fairly easy - just have to find the Krylon spray when I have some time to go hunting for it. I don't know if my computer has space for more software at present but I'm happy to help with the 3DF Zephyr work once I am able to!

Are there certain figures you want done at higher priority so that I can try to start with those once I have everything set up to go? I have pretty much everything except Aquilla's Alliance, Wave 4, and the Wave 9 squads, as well as a handful of C3V/SoV figures.

Cheers!
Old September 25th, 2019, 08:23 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Thank you!

For the picture taking, is it necessary to rotate the background newsprint as well as the figure, or can I just rotate the figure on the background to get all the photos? I have some good photography equipment so the camera setup should be fairly easy - just have to find the Krylon spray when I have some time to go hunting for it. I don't know if my computer has space for more software at present but I'm happy to help with the 3DF Zephyr work once I am able to!

Are there certain figures you want done at higher priority so that I can try to start with those once I have everything set up to go? I have pretty much everything except Aquilla's Alliance, Wave 4, and the Wave 9 squads, as well as a handful of C3V/SoV figures.

Cheers!
Waves 2, 3, and 7 are highest priority that I don't have.

Yes, you must rotate the background as well--or more precisely, the figure and the background must be stationary with respect to one another. This is my setup:

Old September 26th, 2019, 12:24 AM

SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker SharkRider1 knows what's in an order marker

Thanks for all the help! I am hoping I will be able to set something up to help contributing to this project soon - finding out that there was still a community producing work like this has helped rekindle my excitement for my favorite board game ever, so I want to thank you for contributing so much to that!
Old September 26th, 2019, 10:39 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

This reminds me...I’ve now dig out my minis and I’m deciding which are too priorities for sending you to scan. Should be ready soon.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old September 26th, 2019, 01:21 PM

Dissonance is surprisingly tart

Hello White Knight, long time no see. Looks like my recommendation to try 3DF Zephyr worked out.

I can assist in cleaning raw scans if you need help. I'm familiar with your HexScape workflow which is the same as required for Tabletop Simulator, is your process to get an .stl sufficiently similar that this can be an intermediate step prior to decimating down for the TTS mesh?

Regarding missing models I can provide the TTS meshes for all the classic models I have, which may include content you don't have.

The only classic models I don't have meshes for already are:

Battle for the Underdark master set
Deepwyrm Drow (2)

Wave 3
Gorillinators (2)
Microcorp Agents (2)

Wave 4
Aubrien Archers (2)
Gladianatrons (2)
Sacred Band (3)
Tagawa Samurai (2)

Wave 6
Einar Imperium (2)
Heavy Gruts (3)
Zombies of Morridan (2)
Shades of Bleakewoode (2)
Tagawa Samurai Archers (2)

Do you want any particular meshes from TTS to avoid rescanning? Or are they not high enough quality for 3D printing purposes?
Old September 26th, 2019, 03:09 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@White Knight , after thinking about it for a bit now I think Ill try to set up a booth to do this as well. I have so many minis, and I think it would be super cool to make duplicates of some of them. Ill have to brush up on editing in blender a bit more to be able to help more efficiently. The matte scans you have been putting together are really nice. Ill probably use my wifes canon photography camera. I also have a turn table but it isnt motorized. How much would you need to turn it by hand if you did it manually? Actually just had a thought. What if the camera was stationary and there was 40 little marks on the edge of the turntable that you could line up to another mark at the bottom of the turntable for each picture? I think Ill try this out this weekend if I have time. I believe I have everything to do it already at my house.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 26th, 2019, 03:20 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@White Knight , after thinking about it for a bit now I think Ill try to set up a booth to do this as well. I have so many minis, and I think it would be super cool to make duplicates of some of them. Ill have to brush up on editing in blender a bit more to be able to help more efficiently. The matte scans you have been putting together are really nice. Ill probably use my wifes canon photography camera. I also have a turn table but it isnt motorized. How much would you need to turn it by hand if you did it manually? Actually just had a thought. What if the camera was stationary and there was 40 little marks on the edge of the turntable that you could line up to another mark at the bottom of the turntable for each picture? I think Ill try this out this weekend if I have time. I believe I have everything to do it already at my house.
The engineer in me was also thinking about the turntable with tick marks.
I calculate one tick mark every 9 degrees for 40 segments.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old September 26th, 2019, 03:27 PM

Something like that is actually what I was looking at putting together to help with this as well. Is it better to aim for 40 images, or 50, because after White Knight's recommendations I was planning on aiming for 50 pictures and setting the turntable up for that. How would you all recommend setting up the lighting for it? I have lighting equipment, and White Knight's setup looks more like a lightbox than using any manner of ambient light.

Cheers!
Old September 26th, 2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Hello White Knight, long time no see. Looks like my recommendation to try 3DF Zephyr worked out.

I can assist in cleaning raw scans if you need help. I'm familiar with your HexScape workflow which is the same as required for Tabletop Simulator, is your process to get an .stl sufficiently similar that this can be an intermediate step prior to decimating down for the TTS mesh?

Regarding missing models I can provide the TTS meshes for all the classic models I have, which may include content you don't have.

Do you want any particular meshes from TTS to avoid rescanning? Or are they not high enough quality for 3D printing purposes?
Hey Dissonance! Good to hear from you again!

You posted scans of some of the missing squad members, and I used some of them to make medium resolution .stl files. I appreciate that! Now I'm pretty much just interested in making high resolution models (which will require new photos/scans).

I have scans of the extra figures of the Shades, Samurai Archers, and Drow. You can find the scans here:

matte scans folder

I'm not sure which figures are missing, so I included all my new scans.

wolves & drow matte - 2x Drow figures
matte combo 3 - 1x Shade
matte combo 6 - 1x Drow
matte combo 9 - 1x Shade
matte combo 10 - 1x Shade
Samurai archers matte - 3x Archers

One thing you'll notice right away is that the models need almost no cleanup. Cleaning up the models in Blender used to take me a good amount of time (hours), but for these models you pretty much just need to scale them and cut off the bases.

The same files can be used for .stl files and for the Hexscape/TS .obj models. The main thing is to export the .stl files BEFORE decimiating them and messing with the textures.
Old September 26th, 2019, 04:41 PM

New Marro Divider models
(high resolution, but not ultra matte resolution).

I ran my old low resolution photos of the Dividers though 3DF Zephyr on ultra mode to get models of all 3 Dividers. They are not as good as my new models, but they include the missing squad figures.

Marro Divider 1 (hi res)
Marro Divider 2 (hi res)
Marro Divider 3 (hi res)
Old September 26th, 2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
How much would you need to turn it by hand if you did it manually? Actually just had a thought. What if the camera was stationary and there was 40 little marks on the edge of the turntable that you could line up to another mark at the bottom of the turntable for each picture? I think Ill try this out this weekend if I have time. I believe I have everything to do it already at my house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
The engineer in me was also thinking about the turntable with tick marks.
I calculate one tick mark every 9 degrees for 40 segments.
Quote:
Something like that is actually what I was looking at putting together to help with this as well. Is it better to aim for 40 images, or 50, because after White Knight's recommendations I was planning on aiming for 50 pictures and setting the turntable up for that. How would you all recommend setting up the lighting for it? I have lighting equipment, and White Knight's setup looks more like a lightbox than using any manner of ambient light.

Cheers!
50 pictures is probably better than 40 (tick marks every 7.2 degrees). Make sure the camera is zoomed so that the figure(s) almost fill up the camera image (but don't get out of the image as they rotate).

Make sure when you turn the turntable that you don't shake the figure and move it. And a remote shutter button on the camera is better to avoid shaking the camera during the shot. I made mine motorized 1) because I could , and 2) so that I could set it up and walk away for a few minutes while it did it's thing.

The main thing with the lighting is that you don't want any shadows or wash out. You want the figures to be bright and all features clear and in focus. You also want to avoid reflections, which is why the matte spray works well (Amazon has it). I made a light box, but those umbrella lighting things would probably be better (diffuse light is better than direct and might make the matte spray unnecessary).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing