Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 15th, 2017, 01:29 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Age that your kids began building battlefields?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBeast View Post
Anyone have any playing tips for young children? I just started letting my 4 year old play but he has no patience. lol. He loves just setting up all the figures onto the map and pretend fighting. Or is that all I can expect for now?
I did one figure vs one figure battles for extremely quick games...just to get him into it. My son actually learned math and reading from Heroscape. You can't expect a ton at that age but they grow and learn really fast. When you start playing full army games (start small) handicap yourself with a less point army. It keeps it fun for all. My hardest thing with playing games is knowing how to take it easy without it becoming not fun for me but with Heroscape I never had that issue. I would have a 500 point army to his 1000 point army and I could play as aggressive as I wanted but he could still win or come close...eventually he started learning more and our point difference started narrowing until now we are even. You have to teach without it looking like you are teaching...for instance if you child moves to a very bad space you can say..."ah, I got you know..because you moved your guy there I can move to here and now I have height advantage on you. Next time you want to avoid doing that". I also always took the "bad guys" so he could be the heroes that saved the day. (Superheroes more than classic but same strategy) The key is to make it as fun and engaging as possible. My 10 year old still sets up scenes on our maps between games. He's now graduated to Scenario planning.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion