Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Heroes of 'Scape (RPG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyu View Post
The other radical idea I've been playing with is also the most interesting. If anyone has played the Fire Emblem games, then they remember their iconic "rock, paper, scissors" format for weapons. Spears beat swords, swords beat axes, and axes beat spears. In Heroscape terms: spears would roll one more attack die and defense die against swords, swords would roll one more attack die and defense die against axes, and axes would roll one more attack die and defense die against spears. This could easily be an optional rule or made into Special Powers.

I like it, because it will make you more mindful of who you attack. And for those who are capable of wielding more than one kind of weapon, it will give an edge in combat for those who choose to purchase more than one kind of weapon.

Thoughts? And if you didn't get the chance to give your input about an enhanced magic system, I'm still looking forward to hearing from you.
Hmm... I'm on the fence about this mechanic. I like how it adds more strategy to the game, but I feel like it... just doesn't "fit" with the rest of the game. Maybe add it as an optional rule. I would probably play without it, but that's just me.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:45 PM

DrummerScaper97 knows what's in an order marker DrummerScaper97 knows what's in an order marker DrummerScaper97 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerScaper97 View Post
Quote:
I want depth; I'm avoiding complexity. It's just a matter of deciding if the amount of depth a change offers will be worth the increase in complexity that comes with it.
The first option might put more complexity than you want in for the depth you get out.

IF that makes sense.
At its surface, I agree. But with the use of a mana system also gives me a means of mana based Special Powers. Anti-mage warriors will have abilities to remove mana; support based Heroes could have auras that increase mana regen. More importantly, I can give Wizards really powerful spells that will cost more mana to use, rather than making the spell cost more to purchase. Wizards can have a wide variety of spells at their disposal, and their mana costs will be the method of balancing.
Ah! I see! That is really cool! It isn't too complex at all, but the interesting-ness and depth is spot-on!

Quote:
The other radical idea I've been playing with is also the most interesting. If anyone has played the Fire Emblem games, then they remember their iconic "rock, paper, scissors" format for weapons. Spears beat swords, swords beat axes, and axes beat spears. In Heroscape terms: spears would roll one more attack die and defense die against swords, swords would roll one more attack die and defense die against axes, and axes would roll one more attack die and defense die against spears. This could easily be an optional rule or made into Special Powers.

I like it, because it will make you more mindful of who you attack. And for those who are capable of wielding more than one kind of weapon, it will give an edge in combat for those who choose to purchase more than one kind of weapon.

Thoughts? And if you didn't get the chance to give your input about an enhanced magic system, I'm still looking forward to hearing from you.

Out of curiosity, how would this "rock-paper-scissors" concept work against wizards, or other warriors that do not use swords, spears, or axes?

I mostly lurk around here for nostalgia
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Let me help you play with yourself!

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerScaper97 View Post
Out of curiosity, how would this "rock-paper-scissors" concept work against wizards, or other warriors that do not use swords, spears, or axes?
Heroes that use weapons like swords, spears, or axes already have the edge over those who don't because they receive a bonus to attack from having those weapons in the first place. Rather than increasing attack, ranged classes will have weapons that will increase their range. Wizarding classes will have weapons like magical artifacts and staves, that will increase their magic damage and/or increase 20-sided die rolls.
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM

Utger man is surprisingly tart

How would the rock-paper-scissors work with ranged weapons?
Bow beats crossbow, crossbow beats dart shooter? it'd be hard to find a ranged weapon that could do justice to the bow or crossbow.

Other than that THIS IS AWESOME!!! I always want to play a non-video game RPG. And since my mom bans D&D this is perfect!

I did NOT spell "Utgar" incorrectly. Check the link below.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...4&postcount=85
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utger man View Post
How would the rock-paper-scissors work with ranged weapons?
Bow beats crossbow, crossbow beats dart shooter? it'd be hard to find a ranged weapon that could do justice to the bow or crossbow.
There won't be a rock-paper-scissors equivalent for bows and crossbows. The difference between them will be in the special abilities that they will allow. Bows will have Special Powers leaning towards swift multi-attacks and crossbows will have Special Powers leaning towards heavy hitting single attacks; you will notice the similar trends between one-handed and two-handed melee weapons.

However, there will be the same rock-paper-scissors concept with throwing knives (swords,) throwing axes (axes,) and javelins (spears,) which will all be short range weapons.
Old November 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Porkachu is surprisingly tart

This may have been answered before, but let's say I start out as a level 1 Vampire Lord. Do I have to spend points on Flying/Lord of The Night, or are these powers that I acquire automatically? Same goes for Samurai Counter Strike, etc.
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkachu View Post
This may have been answered before, but let's say I start out as a level 1 Vampire Lord. Do I have to spend points on Flying/Lord of The Night, or are these powers that I acquire automatically? Same goes for Samurai Counter Strike, etc.
There are notes on these pages saying that these special powers are required. If they have a cost, then yes, they require you to spend your points on them, but sometimes they don't require points.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Killz is surprisingly tart

Wow, with each tease, I get more and more psyched!

About the Magic mechanics, at first glance I did not like it too much, but it has grown on me. I just did not know how much it would change from Heroscape, what with two defense stats and all. I think it could work though.

As for the rock, paper, scissors, I don't know. I would probably use them as optional.

Killz is kicking it as...

Ne-Gok-Sa, the original OG and stuff

in the
Perth Keep...
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killz View Post
About the Magic mechanics, at first glance I did not like it too much, but it has grown on me. I just did not know how much it would change from Heroscape, what with two defense stats and all. I think it could work though.

As for the rock, paper, scissors, I don't know. I would probably use them as optional.
Good! Since I'm really still using the same mechanics, or at least slight modifications of them, it should still feel similar to Heroscape at its core. What drew me into Heroscape to begin with was the straight forward and stylish mechanics that came from the hex grid system and the attack/defense die attacking. Without those, Heroscape just wouldn't be the same. I'm not attempting to make this feel the same as Heroscape, I'll admit that, but it should hopefully retain all the excitement and appeal that playing Heroscape did bring. So hopefully the changes I make, like with the magic system, won't change that. Rather, they will add a layer of depth and strategy to the game as a whole. If all goes to plan, I-- and people with similar tastes to me-- will enjoy this game more than classic Heroscape.

I'm almost positive I'm going to make the rock-paper-scissors concept into multiple Special Powers. They will be relatively cheap and will allow you to (optionally) gain benefits by tactically choosing your targets. And at least in my games, I'll probably always give NPCs these abilities where they apply.

On the topic of magic and rock-paper-scissors... Something else I've brainstormed about is doing something similar to weapons spells. I would like to create more depth to the different elemental types of spells and how they could interact. I currently have nothing in mind for how to do it, but it would be interesting, if I could find an easy way.
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM

I'm not sure if anyone caught it, but when I posted the latest Class trees, the Dwarf race had some new Classes like Tinkerer, Alchemist, and Engineer. The Dwarf Race will for the most part be burly, physically powerful warriors, but these Classes will favor the use of technology and science. Guns, gadgets, explosive concoctions, automated sentry guns, and even mechanized suits...
I typically don't like Dwarves, thematically, but even I'm excited to give these guys a try now, lol.
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I probably just killed the joke - in comic sans

marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Cool!

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Old November 10th, 2012, 03:00 PM

machinekng knows what's in an order marker machinekng knows what's in an order marker machinekng knows what's in an order marker

I've looked at this before, but never really gave it much tought.

After looking over it again, I've realized how fun this could be.

Do you plan to make classes for C3V or SoV figures? I think a Marro Cyborg class for the Havech Eradicators would be cool.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions