Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old November 14th, 2017, 10:37 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
bmon's Epic Battlefields - Spitfire Mountain - 11/15/2017

Hello Heroscapers!

When I was first introduced to this game, one of the many things that drew me into it was the awe inspiring battlefields shared through photos online. I remember many of these vividly as they were an inspiration to building my collection to one day be able to build battlefields like them.

I would like to now share my own creations in the hopes to inspire or simply entertain my fellow Heroscapers - current and future.

I play many games on smaller maps, but the intention of this thread is to share my BIG ones - the ones that I leave up for months at a time - the ones that take many hours to design and then many hours to build - the ones that leave a lasting impression on those to witness them.

These battlefields start out as a concept, either a concept in structure or a concept in theme, and then grow into the massive build, complete with a story and varying objectives. My stories may or may not jive with Heroscape lore. I'm trying to learn more about the proper Heroscape background stories, but for the maps I have built, this was not a constraint. So, if that's important to you, please ignore that aspect. In terms of structure, I try to keep things symmetrical.

Also, worth noting is that these battlefields are certainly massive in spectacle, but I've tried to keep them condensed enough to be able to support a proper game on them. Rarely will blood be spilled in round 1 on these, but it shouldn't take more than round 2 or 3 for things to start getting dicey (pun intended).

So, check these out. If you like them, please comment. If you have a ton of terrain yourself and are interested in building one of these beauties, let me know and I can send you the build instructions.

As I got into Heroscape after it was canceled, my collection is entirely second hand. As such, I don't have terrain count in terms of complete box sets, but just in miscellaneous pieces. To get an idea of what terrain pieces are used in these battlefields, or what my maximums are, here is my terrain count:

Quote:
Coming soon
bmon's Epic Battlefield Index:

1) Troll Cage
[March 2015]
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...49&postcount=2

2) Ancient Pit
[May 2015]
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...60&postcount=3

3) Spitfire Mountain
[April 2016]
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...75&postcount=4

----------------

One more to come as I have time to post... my 2017 creation... I tend to do about one of these per year.

Last edited by bmon; November 15th, 2017 at 01:31 AM. Reason: added Spitfire Mountain
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:37 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: bmon's Epic Battlefields - Troll Cage - 11/14/2017

Map Title:
Troll Cage

Build Date:
March 2015

Pictures:

Designer Comments:
Spoiler Alert!

Scenario Background:
Spoiler Alert!

Scenario Rules:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by bmon; November 14th, 2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: formatting
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:36 PM

Re: bmon's Epic Battlefields - Ancient Pit - 11/14/2017

Map Title:
Ancient Pit

Build Date:
May 2015

Pictures:

Designer Comments:
Spoiler Alert!

Scenario Background:
Spoiler Alert!

Scenario Rules:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by bmon; November 14th, 2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: fix
Old November 15th, 2017, 01:25 AM

Re: bmon's Epic Battlefields - Spitfire Mountain - 11/14/17

Map Title:
Spitfire Mountain

Build Date:
April 2016

Pictures:

(Note: Sorry for the hazy action picture -- though it does resemble the haze of the gin and tonics that night! The third picture shows what the lava would tend to look like by game end.)

Designer Comments:
Spoiler Alert!

Scenario Background:
Spoiler Alert!

Scenario Rules:
Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
"For a hill men would kill, why? They do not know. Stiffened wounds test their pride."
-- Metallica
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:26 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: bmon's Epic Battlefields - Spitfire Mountain - 11/15/201

Your rules for the lava on Spitfire Mountain look like it would be fun to play. I always appreciate game-changing randomness in games, and this mechanic looks like it has that potential. Have you ever tried those rules on a smaller map? The lava flow would be more impactful, since players would be forced to play closer to any lava tiles.

On the same map, in the picture showing the bridge tile: it appears that one side is a tile or two higher than the other. Is this correct? And if so, how did you determine height in regards to the slant?

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Your rules for the lava on Spitfire Mountain look like it would be fun to play. I always appreciate game-changing randomness in games, and this mechanic looks like it has that potential. Have you ever tried those rules on a smaller map? The lava flow would be more impactful, since players would be forced to play closer to any lava tiles.
I've not played my lava rules on a smaller map. They should apply well to a smaller scale though. The glyph scoring rules did really work out well to keep action near the lava. It's hard to tell from the picture and the rules kind of gloss over it, but the scenario starts out with two yellow glyphs at the top, 4 gold glyphs around the crest, and 6 maroon glyphs around the mid section. Only yellow are active first and worth 3 points at round end. Once those have been destroyed by lava, then only gold (2 points) are active, then maroon (1 point). The glyph scoring may not be necessary on a small map, but definitely are on something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
On the same map, in the picture showing the bridge tile: it appears that one side is a tile or two higher than the other. Is this correct? And if so, how did you determine height in regards to the slant?
It's actually just an optical illusion. The bridges sat flat and even.

Thanks for the comments!

Edit: On a smaller map, I think I'd pull out the 3x lava tiles as they might be too much. You still would want to have the 2x tiles to keep the lava less predictable.

Last edited by bmon; November 16th, 2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:53 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Wow! Love Troll Cage - that map is a thing of beauty!!!!

If only I had a table that large : P

Great designs and builds, thanks for sharing.
Old November 16th, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
Wow! Love Troll Cage - that map is a thing of beauty!!!!

If only I had a table that large : P

Great designs and builds, thanks for sharing.
Thanks hippo! I am fortunate to have the space and have such a large table. The funny thing is that it isn't anything fancy. Before I got into board games I used to play a totally different game on the table -- pool! That's right, it's really just a pool table with a board over it and a red bed sheet to look like a table cloth. Nothing fancy, but works great for these monster maps. Heroscape does tend to monopolize this converted gaming table for months at a time. I love playing my other games, but Heroscape is like the favored child that's allowed to run free and take over the house.

Thanks for commenting!
Old November 17th, 2017, 10:27 AM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

That vilcano looks amazingly chaotic, and pretty great for all types of armies. Plenty of high spots for ranged but plenty of nooks and crannies to sneak melee units up to them.
Old November 17th, 2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCarrot View Post
That vilcano looks amazingly chaotic, and pretty great for all types of armies. Plenty of high spots for ranged but plenty of nooks and crannies to sneak melee units up to them.
You're exactly right. Melee still were competitive on it as they could hide around corners or even below ledges. The Protectors of Ullar were very strong though as flying ranged units since they could easily position themselves to get shots at anybody they wanted. Moltenclaw was king of the mountain as the only lava resistant flying unit.

I did find that slow moving units should be strongly avoided though. They had too hard of a time with the elevations. I'm thinking specifically of the game I tried the Obsidian Guards on it. It was ugly -- as I should have expected.
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:03 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Very impressive maps! Have you ever thought about using Virtualscape to make build directions for your stuff?
Old November 20th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Very impressive maps! Have you ever thought about using Virtualscape to make build directions for your stuff?
Thanks! I do use Virtualscape, such an amazing tool! It makes building these monstrosities all the easier. (And captures them for repeat builds.) Although the last one I need to post (my 2017 map) is the first one I built by freehand. It was a lot of extra work as I had to build by trial and error, but I think aesthetically it turned out even better. I'm excited to share that one here as well. Hopefully I'll have some time to put that post together this week.

Thanks for commenting!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios