Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

Old May 5th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Workshop Thread

Welcome to the
ARV WORKSHOP THREAD

Here it is our purpose to work with map makers to improve issues we found in their maps. We often find that some of the great maps submitted to our contests don't quite make the cut for tournament worthiness for one reason or another, and here we give map makers a chance to work directly with us to resolve those issues, improve their maps, and create something ready to be used for competitive play.

If you have made a map for one of our contests that either did not make it into the Top 10 or was not found Tournament-Worthy, you may submit it here for workshopping. We, the judges, will provide specific and direct feedback on why the map did not make the cut, and help to provide direction for what you can do to take your map from good to great. If we feel enough improvement has been made for the map, we will accept it for review and playtesting to see if it is ready for competitive play and worthy of the ARV stamp of approval.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to use this thread and workshop a map, you must have submitted that map to one of our contests. It doesn't matter if it made the Top 10, or if it was judged tournament-worthy, as long as it was submitted in the first place. WE WILL NOT be workshopping any other maps - this simply isn't the thread for that.

The workshopping process will go as follows:
  1. Resubmit your map for consideration. (Your post must have an image and download file for easy access, preferably both a .pdf and .hsc.)
    Post title must read "Request for Workshopping."
  2. Resubmission should indicate the submitter's end goal, such as simply improving the map by fixing small issues, or reworking the map to make it tournament worthy. Be sure the judges are aware of your intent.
  3. If requested, judges will impart to the builder the issues that were found with the map and suggest specific alterations or adjustments
  4. At least 2 Judges will be required to workshop a map.

If you desire to resubmit your map for consideration of tournament worthiness, the resubmission process will go as follows:
  1. Resubmit your map in a post with a map image and download (both a .pdf and .hsc).
    Post title must read "Request for Review"
  2. The judges will vote on whether or not to accept the map for review and playtesting.
  3. If the map receives a majority vote from the judges, it will undergo the review and playtesting process. A majority vote from the judges after review and playtesting will determine whether it receives the ARV stamp of approval or not.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Not all maps are competitive. This thread is a tool for both the fun and competitive maps. Feel free to workshop a map to work out kinks, but don't feel it has to be submitted for a competitive review, because even with tweaking, some maps are just not going to have a place in tournament play. Don't feel discouraged if after workshopping the map we still don't feel it is a competitive map; Heroscape is primarily a game of fun, and plenty of maps that don't make it to the competitive scene still see a lot of casual play.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 6th, 2017, 02:15 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Workshop Thread

Processing

This will be a running list of those maps being workshopped and which judges will be assigned to assist, as well voting on maps for review, and which maps are under review.

Maps Being Workshopped

Bloodbath BLVD

hsc. File

Maps Requested to Review

Maps Under Review/Playtesting

ARV Approved
Battlefield 23 by Flash_19
Sir H Nomad Bigga
Pure Gold by Superfrog
Sir H Nomad Flash
Valledon Fortress by antmarchingroves
Sir H Bigga Nomad
Ruined City by Leaf_It
Bigga Nomad TREX

Didn't Make the Cut
Durgeth Swamps - .hsc

Sir H Flash Nomad

UPDATED DRIDER

Sir H Nomad Flash

Sir Heroscape's Content

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; July 21st, 2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:27 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I'll start this off:

Chaos build instructions. It uses 1 SotM, 1 BftU, and 1 VW with 2 random glyphs.

I'm just curious what your concerns with this map were, as it didn't make the top 10. I think it has some definite potential for a tournament map.
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I'm just curious what your concerns with this map were, as it didn't make the top 10. I think it has some definite potential for a tournament map.
I was responding to this last night but then I fell asleep on the couch and my wife accidentally deleted my unfinished post. I'll respond to this a little later today and assign myself to this map for help/changed etc.

Per our OP guidelines we need at least one more judge to step in on this one... @Tiranx @TREX @BiggaBullfrog

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:27 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I was responding to this last night but then I fell asleep on the couch and my wife accidentally deleted my unfinished post. I'll respond to this a little later today and assign myself to this map for help/changed etc.

Per our OP guidelines we need at least one more judge to step in on this one... @Tiranx @TREX @BiggaBullfrog
I always struggle to figure the map out just by the online image, but is this one of the maps that has lava and swamp not bordered in?
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
I always struggle to figure the map out just by the online image, but is this one of the maps that has lava and swamp not bordered in?
Yes.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

I am currently asking a question on the Question Dump thread about this. Let me get some answers there and then I can join in on this response. It is an aesthetic fail for me, but I also want to check it from a rules perspective.

Have we accepted any maps so far with this flaw? I really want to make sure we are staying consistent if our answer to this one is that water, lava, swamp, etc. are not bordered in or at level zero it results in a fail.

Currently, the only type of terrain in this style that I would accept not bordered in would be shadow tiles. How does the rest of the group feel about this?
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:09 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

I am currently asking a question on the Question Dump thread about this. Let me get some answers there and then I can join in on this response. It is an aesthetic fail for me, but I also want to check it from a rules perspective.

Have we accepted any maps so far with this flaw? I really want to make sure we are staying consistent if our answer to this one is that water, lava, swamp, etc. are not bordered in or at level zero it results in a fail.

Currently, the only type of terrain in this style that I would accept not bordered in would be shadow tiles. How does the rest of the group feel about this?
What do you mean by bordered in? There is an instance of a map that is approved where there are water tiles on the edge of the map: Ruined Pier. Is that what you mean by not bordered in?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you are talking about with the lava and swamp. I don't think that is a deal breaker. In some instances it makes a map more unstable. If the map keeps falling over then that is a detriment to the build.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:15 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Its quite possible that this one did not score as well in some areas because of the lack of visual appeal. What gets maps into the top ten are the combined score of all of the aspects of the map as noted in our judging guidelines. Its quite possible that this map may be tournament worthy. It just did not score as high as some of the others at the time. On this last contest we have adjusted our point guideline to be more based on balance than any other category.

EDIT: @superfrog , I just noticed why it was a deal breaker for me after looking at it again. Its quite simple really. On turn one, one player can move a figure and grenade splash the enemies start zone without being hindered by LOS Blockers.

Old May 18th, 2017, 01:24 PM

Okay. In regard to @superfrog 's request...

Originally, I scored this map as fairly balanced, but for me it lacked aesthetics and creativity for the "Wild" theme, BUT it is IMPORTANT to note that that was based on our old rubric and as you'll notice Balance is a substantially larger chunk now when we score the maps. That said, I think there could be some improvements made. I feel strongly that lava should not be the only height. I know multiple BoV maps don't follow my thinking, but I think lava is much more exciting and intriguing to play on when you mix it with other terrain and force the player to make decisions on positioning. I'd rather have options to try and hop between lava rather than be forced to get on it because it's the only height option. The other thing that bugs me is the power Glyphs being so far out on the "wings" of the map. They feel out of place in my opinion and could use better positioning. Also, I believe Glyphs should allow melee figures to attack down on them from height (depending on the map build). Though, I should note that you have given glyph attacking figures the shadow (+1 defense) to help them out.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; May 18th, 2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Recinded the "always"
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Its quite possible that this one did not score as well in some areas because of the lack of visual appeal. What gets maps into the top ten are the combined score of all of the aspects of the map as noted in our judging guidelines. Its quite possible that this map may be tournament worthy. It just did not score as high as some of the others at the time. On this last contest we have adjusted our point guideline to be more based on balance than any other category.
I agree with this.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:33 PM
"like" happy

Though I don't think that melee figures should "always" be able to attack down from height, it does in some cases balance out a map. It definitely is not a cool option to have to attack a figure on a glyph from lower ground.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla