Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old February 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Glacier and Ice repaint

The WotC "sand expansion" pictures finally got me motivated to repaint the extra Tundra set I bought last summer (using the 25% off free shipping code).

I used acrylic paints (tubes you can buy at Wal-Mart, etc.) and just mixed colors to get what I wanted.

1) The "rock" glaciers started by getting a base coat of black, then a dark blue wash, and then a light blue wash (try to match the blue of the rock tiles) and then finally a light dry brush with a tan to add a little highlights.

2) The "sand" glaciers started by getting a base coat of dark brown, then a slightly lighter brown wash, and finally a tan/yellow wash. Then a very light "dry brush" with some of the original dark brown base (for a few highlights). And lastly a very very light black wash to tie it all together.

3) The "tar pit" (ice tiles) were done basically the same as the rock "glaciers", except they had an extra black wash/dry brush applied to at the end since the light blue wash made them a little too "blue"

4) The "quick sand" (ice tiles) also were done similar to the "sand" glacier, but also had the extra black wash at the end.

For the tar pits and quicksand, we use the following rules:
When entering a tar pit or quicksand tile, role the 20d, if you role 11-20, continue movement, role a 2-10, end movement, role a 1, end movement and add one wound.

BTW, the figures in the pictures are some of my RotV figure repaints -- see the link in my signature for more on them.
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
In a word, they are ballin.
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
Those look really nice! In some ways, the repainted ice almost looks too good to go with the rest of the terrain! The tar pit/quicksand rule is interesting, too. Not quite as deadly as lava, not quite as slowing as water. That might be a new niche for special terrain rules.

Good job, and keep 'em coming, Ret!
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Good stuff, Retlaw!
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Very nice. I would like to see some of the rock terain hexes painted like this and then put with the mountains.

I see the terms "wash" and "dry brush" used in many of the re-paint threads. Would anyone care to elaborate on these techniques please. I want to do some painting of my own, but I am an armature and could use some pointers. I'm not sure how to "apply a wash" or what it means to "dry brush". Anyone?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo
Very nice. I see the terms "wash" and "dry brush" used in many of the re-paint threads. Would anyone care to elaborate on these techniques please. I want to do some painting of my own, but I am an armature and could use some pointers. I'm not sure how to "apply a wash" or what it means to "dry brush". Anyone?
First, thanks to all for the compliments.

I use artist acrylic paints (comes in tubes) and I do the wash and dry brush as follows:

Wash = a very diluted paint (more water than paint) then apply the mixture over the whole item. If it goes on too heavy, use paper towels to soak up the extra. The color will remain in the low areas and give a light cover to the rest.

Dry Brush = use the paint straight from the tube, get paint on the brush and then on a paper towel take several brush strokes to get most of the paint off, so what is left is just a small amount of paint. Then lightly go over the item with the brush. This will leave just small amounts of paint on the item. I use this to highlight areas.
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM

moorific is surprisingly tart
Wow, those are amazing! Especially the quicksand tiles, I really gottta try that out myself.
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Those are really cool I like em alot. Good job.
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo
Very nice. I see the terms "wash" and "dry brush" used in many of the re-paint threads. Would anyone care to elaborate on these techniques please. I want to do some painting of my own, but I am an armature and could use some pointers. I'm not sure how to "apply a wash" or what it means to "dry brush". Anyone?
First, thanks to all for the compliments.

I use artist acrylic paints (comes in tubes) and I do the wash and dry brush as follows:

Wash = a very diluted paint (more water than paint) then apply the mixture over the whole item. If it goes on too heavy, use paper towels to soak up the extra. The color will remain in the low areas and give a light cover to the rest.

Dry Brush = use the paint straight from the tube, get paint on the brush and then on a paper towel take several brush strokes to get most of the paint off, so what is left is just a small amount of paint. Then lightly go over the item with the brush. This will leave just small amounts of paint on the item. I use this to highlight areas.
Thank you for the tips. I'm going to have to try some of this.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Those are amazing customs. They look fantastic.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation
that's just awesome man...if only we could ever hope for sets to look like that..

cheers
Rod

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM

Hatchetbill has disabled reputation
They both look great. I especially like the rock one. I never could figure out why WoC proposed to release a sand mountain repaint when most scapers have a lot more rock tiles than sand. Id like to see a rock set released that looks as great as the one you've done.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles