Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > ScapeCon
ScapeCon Forum for events related to Scapecon

Old July 3rd, 2022, 12:38 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: ScapeCon II Events

Question for General Wars - can both the 350 and 140 portions be from the same general? If so I'm assuming no overlap, so for instance Mimring would have to be in the 350 portion fully, not just the remaining 10 from using 140.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 01:15 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Question for General Wars - can both the 350 and 140 portions be from the same general? If so I'm assuming no overlap, so for instance Mimring would have to be in the 350 portion fully, not just the remaining 10 from using 140.
It has to be “140 points of any one other general,” so you can’t have both the 350 and 140 from the same general.
Old November 5th, 2022, 11:22 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Be the first player to reach 6 Victory Points. If both players end a round tied, then play another round (and continue until the tie is broken). Each map will have two control points (towards the center of the map). At the end of the round, if you have more army cards within two spaces of a control point than your opponent, then you score Victory Points equal to the round number. Repeat this process for the other control point.
I assume a lot of thought was put into this format. I'm looking at doing something similar so I have questions. I have guesses at the answers but would like to hear from the event organizers:
- why based on army cards near the control point instead of number of figures?
- why not only count unengaged figures?
- why within 2 spaces instead of only adjacent?
- why the increasing point value each round instead of a static point cost?

I was thinking of something simpler:
- you score one point at the end of the round if you have a figure on the control point unless that figure is engaged

But I am guessing there are good reasons for the extra complexity in a competitive version of the event?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 6th, 2022, 12:09 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Quote:
Be the first player to reach 6 Victory Points. If both players end a round tied, then play another round (and continue until the tie is broken). Each map will have two control points (towards the center of the map). At the end of the round, if you have more army cards within two spaces of a control point than your opponent, then you score Victory Points equal to the round number. Repeat this process for the other control point.
I assume a lot of thought was put into this format. I'm looking at doing something similar so I have questions. I have guesses at the answers but would like to hear from the event organizers:
- why based on army cards near the control point instead of number of figures?
- why not only count unengaged figures?
- why within 2 spaces instead of only adjacent?
- why the increasing point value each round instead of a static point cost?

I was thinking of something simpler:
- you score one point at the end of the round if you have a figure on the control point unless that figure is engaged

But I am guessing there are good reasons for the extra complexity in a competitive version of the event?
I think your version is basically the online Control Zones, right? I think they’re very different formats.

Control Points is meant to mimic how objectives usually work in other games (like Legion for example). A radius (as opposed to a single point) allows for much more interesting counterplay and positioning (and that would be the same answer for a 1 vs 2 space radius). However, you wouldn’t want someone to be able to jam 8 knights within that radius to count for it, hence the number of different army cards. And you definitely wouldn’t want unengaged only at that point.

Increasing point values both gives certain armies a little more time to setup, and diminishes the effectiveness of a pure rush strategy. We might explore increasing the total points needed to win in the future (maybe 7 instead of 6, for example), but scaling points are really good for this format.

Essentially, as soon as you decide it should be based on a radius, just about everything else naturally follows. I’m not saying that the online format is bad- it’s just quite a bit different.
Old November 6th, 2022, 04:16 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
I think your version is basically the online Control Zones, right? I think they’re very different formats.

Control Points is meant to mimic how objectives usually work in other games (like Legion for example). A radius (as opposed to a single point) allows for much more interesting counterplay and positioning (and that would be the same answer for a 1 vs 2 space radius). However, you wouldn’t want someone to be able to jam 8 knights within that radius to count for it, hence the number of different army cards. And you definitely wouldn’t want unengaged only at that point.

Increasing point values both gives certain armies a little more time to setup, and diminishes the effectiveness of a pure rush strategy. We might explore increasing the total points needed to win in the future (maybe 7 instead of 6, for example), but scaling points are really good for this format.

Essentially, as soon as you decide it should be based on a radius, just about everything else naturally follows. I’m not saying that the online format is bad- it’s just quite a bit different.
Thanks for the answer.

I'm trying out a format that has multiple scoring dimensions and I'm not sure which control zone is the best baseline for it. I see the OHS format is very similar to what I described.

I'll try this format with some friends on Thursday night.

--
--
--

--
Old November 6th, 2022, 08:19 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post

Thanks for the answer.

I'm trying out a format that has multiple scoring dimensions and I'm not sure which control zone is the best baseline for it. I see the OHS format is very similar to what I described.

Without knowing the specifics of your format, I’d say try both and see which fits better!
Old February 13th, 2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answer.

Any tips on how to pick control point locations @OEAO ? I see that you didn't just go with "wherever the glyphs are."

--
--
--

--
Old February 14th, 2023, 12:00 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the answer.

Any tips on how to pick control point locations @OEAO ? I see that you didn't just go with "wherever the glyphs are."
Shot you a message. The gist is “generally center without having the two control points’ radius’ overlapping each other or the power glyphs.”
Old February 18th, 2023, 03:39 PM

Another question about this format: I'm curious if you saw multi-common hero armies like wyrmlings or Kurrock and elementals really dominate with how they're able to swarm army cards into the control point areas.

--
--
--

--
Old February 18th, 2023, 11:06 PM

GucciiBoost Woo who?

Quote:
Another question about this format: I'm curious if you saw multi-common hero armies like wyrmlings or Kurrock and elementals really dominate with how they're able to swarm army cards into the control point areas.
So I won control points with Kurrok, FE x8, Marcu… but my games against S1R_ART0R1US with Major X17, Theracus, Blasts x2, Glads x2 and Earl of Sandwich with Brunak, Nerak, Marcu, Ornak, Heavies x2 were both very close and could have gone either way.

Against S1R_ART0R1US I was down 1-5 and won both control points in round 3 for a 7-5 win

I think Kurrok and the FE are definitely very good but there are other viable armies

Last edited by GucciiBoost; February 22nd, 2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old February 19th, 2023, 12:02 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Here's what I posted in the ScapeCon feedback. Largely I don't see the concern for multi-common hero armies, but like normal, things that bond are strong.

Quote:
I don't think that competitively Firestorm is an issue. And while 4 of the 13 armies had FEs in them (with no other squad showing up in more than 2), the top 4 armies were all different (Firestorm, Gruts, GSW+Nilf, and Glad/Blast). I think that's a decent variety, and I don't think a rules change is needed. The mixed elemental armies went 2-2, 2-2, and 1-3 which is definitely not overpowering.
Old February 19th, 2023, 10:06 AM

Thanks folks!

--
--
--

--

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > ScapeCon