Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 13th, 2017, 04:07 AM

ZeusEQ is surprisingly tart
RotV Unique Squads

Hi,

Like probably most here, I acquired multiples of the RotV master set for the terrain, and ended up with several sets of RotV figures gathering dust on some shelf. Now I agree it would feel weird to have multiples of a named unique hero on the battlefield; but would it be really overpowered or unbalanced to treat the unique squads as common squads instead?

I can see one potential problem regarding powers that specifically target/benefit unique units (like the Viking Champions' Spirit powers)... but beside that, do you see any gameplay/balance problems in fielding, for example, 2 squads of Tarn Vikings or Zettian Guards in one army?

Thanks, Zeus
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:52 AM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: RotV Unique Squads

I generally dislike house rules, but have came up with several house rules for Heroscape that are quite agreeable. And one of those is exactly as you are suggesting.

We have house ruled the Zettian Guards to be a common squad. They were already a weak, but expensive, two-unit squad whose only ability relies on other Zettian Guards.

I've not felt comfortable turning any other unique squad into common, but if I did, it would probably be the Tarn Vikings. But they are a fairly solid 4 figure squad at just 50 points. I feel being unique is what justifies their low cost. If they were common, I think they'd be better fit at 60 points.

The other unique squads are just too good to make common without also increasing their cost values.

But the nice thing about house rules is that they help facilitate the way the game is played at your house. With Heroscape being such a customizable game, it lends itself well to house rules.
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:05 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@ZeusEQ See my Customs using Master Set Figures (RotV, SotM, BftU) compilation of cards with a lot of them made into commons with slight revisions. However, it is too bad @justjohn Master Set Unique Squads to Common Squads (also copied to my thread compilation) seems to have broken links to pictures - his were the best.
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:33 PM

ZeusEQ is surprisingly tart

Thanks guys for your insights and links!
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:40 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEQ View Post
Hi,

Like probably most here, I acquired multiples of the RotV master set for the terrain, and ended up with several sets of RotV figures gathering dust on some shelf. Now I agree it would feel weird to have multiples of a named unique hero on the battlefield; but would it be really overpowered or unbalanced to treat the unique squads as common squads instead?

I can see one potential problem regarding powers that specifically target/benefit unique units (like the Viking Champions' Spirit powers)... but beside that, do you see any gameplay/balance problems in fielding, for example, 2 squads of Tarn Vikings or Zettian Guards in one army?

Thanks, Zeus
I think the two most 'broken' Unique Squads would be the Krav Maga and the Marro Warriors. I'd keep them as unique. Stealth Dodge is just too good and Water Clone will be never-ending with multiple squads.

The Izumi, Zettians and Tarns could be switched to commons pretty easily - I personally don't think they are too over-powered as commons.

Try a game and see how it goes with 2-3 squads of each.
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:01 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd be curious to see how the Izumi play as commons. They have such a weakness to range and special attacks that their performance would probably vary greatly due to opponent matchups. But I would think in a battle against an army devoid of range or special attacks that multiple Izumi squads would dominate it.
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:10 PM

I'm probably overstating their weakness to range and special attacks. They have staying power with their 5 defense, but utilizing counterstrike is pretty essential to their success.

Bottom line is I think they are pretty dang good for a 60 point squad. If I faced an army with 4-5 squads of them, if my army was short on range or special attacks, I'd not like my chances.

Last edited by bmon; March 13th, 2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: continued thoughts
Old March 13th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

If you're worried about balance, you could always play them as uncommons (although my preference is usually to get more different units on the field rather than multiple uncommons).
Old March 18th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

We've played the Zettians as a common squad and had no issues. I don't think the other RotV squads would work as commons (at least not without a point increase).

We also have played DW9000 as a common hero (already had 1 life) and it worked as well. If you remember the HS cartoons and comics that came out when the game was released, they had multiple DW9000s on the battlefield, so it even fit the "unofficial" official canon.
Old March 19th, 2017, 09:00 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
We've played the Zettians as a common squad and had no issues. I don't think the other RotV squads would work as commons (at least not without a point increase).

We also have played DW9000 as a common hero (already had 1 life) and it worked as well. If you remember the HS cartoons and comics that came out when the game was released, they had multiple DW9000s on the battlefield, so it even fit the "unofficial" official canon.
Thats a cool idea for the dw9000. They just couldnt pick up treasure glyphs. You wouldnt want to anyway for fear they got booby trapped.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:31 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I agree with Retlaw here. If the Tarn Vikings were common, they'd be a cheaper, faster version of the Knights of Weston, who are already a great squad. A common Izumi Samurai squad would also be problematic; we've discovered in C3V that common Counter Strike is a lot more dangerous than it seems on the surface.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion