Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: How many commons
I have one of most sets 67 29.26%
I have 2 of my favorite common sets 38 16.59%
I have 2 of all of my common sets 13 5.68%
I have 2+ of many/all of my common sets 111 48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM

omnicronsniper is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
1x commons

I know there are a lot of casual players who just have 1x common sets. Does anyone here have any good armies that have no doubles of units? I know these armies will never be that good, or tournament ready, but I would still like some new options

Always go to other people's funerals, or they won't go to yours.
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:57 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: 1x commons

Rats and Sentinels are both common squads that can work with only one available. I'm sure there are a couple more as well, but the majority really need at least two (and more likely three) to be affective.

-insert signature here-
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:06 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

I would add Warriors of Ashra and Marrden Hounds to the list of commons that can work as singles.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Drizzt Do'Urden is surprisingly tart

Some commons that I have found good are the Sentinals of Jandar. You could do something like:
Sentinals 110
Raelin 190
Krav Mega Agents 290
Tarn Vikings 340
Marro Warriors 390
Airborne Elites 500
That army is pretty good. You actually don't even really, truly NEED commons. The uniques in the RotV are very fun, strong, and competetive.

Another good squad is the zombies. You get two of them in a pack. You could try this build:
Zombies x2 120
Cyprien 270
Sonya 315
Shades of Bleakewoode 425
Marro Warriors 475
Marcu Essenwein 495

Another good squad is the Shades, because the have such a great intimidation factor.

Another that I've heard word of being good is the Minions of Utgar, but I haven't tried them (or the shades, actually!).
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've heard the protectors can work with only 1 squad, but are better off in multiples. They'd be sort of like a squad that hits hard, then dies hard.

I was also pretty mad when I realized that I should have bought multiple commons.

~Rednax, who has only 1 of every common from waves 6-8 (except Zomibes, in which case I have 4 squads)
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Microcorp agents are decent at 1. Deathreavers can be handy glyph grabbers at only 1 squad.

Some bonding squads: Romans with MBS/NGS, maybe even MDG if you have a squad of 10th, too. A squad of Armocs with VW, Theracus, and a squad of Mohicans.

One squad of gorillinators make an okay screen for the Nakitas.

A squad of Snipers with Taelord can do some serious damage. Maybe with a squad of gladiatrons, blastatrons, and deathreavers.

(I wonder how a tourney treating commons as unique would play out?)
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:18 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Good question...unnecessary poll.

Microcorp make it into alot of builds with just 1 squad due mainly to the price of the other Vydar Units and it makes more sense to take the Krav and 1 squad of MCA then 2 MCA
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

Low cost bonders that bond with multiple heros you plan on using can add flexibility and reduce order marker lossage even with only one squad. Also as said earlier rats are decent blockers at one squad. Shock troops like venocs or hounds can also have okay usage at only one squad.

I love it when a plan comes together!
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

I think the WoB can work decent alone, just don't use their bonding. They could be useful for charging in and taking out a high price squad, such as the Protectors or EI.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Drizzt Do'Urden is surprisingly tart

Yeah, those wolves can pounce through tons of common squads. Trust me, I've had it happen firsthand.
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM

Troubleman23 has disabled reputation

I remember when I first started playing HS and didn't know about this site. I never realized that you can use more of 1 squad if they were common. Man looking back my armies were terrible. Once I started using this site I quickly realized my ways of army building needed to change.

So what did I do? Went and dropped $100 on commons

But what I found effective was the Einar Imperium. They each had double attack. So 6 attacks if engaged correctly, a possible 6 enemies down in a turn. They are a bit pricey and they have a medium defense. But going to what rednax said. This could fall under the "hits hard, dies hard" collum.

If you are interested in winning free stuff, please PM me, no joke, you know you want to!
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Rats are by far and away the best solitaire common squad. In my opinion, for a common squad to be useful at 1x it needs to have something other than a single attack from each member as it's primary purpose. This means that some bonding units (e.g. Nagrubs), some special ability units (e.g. Repulsors) and some meat shields (e.g. Rats) can be successful @1x, while numbers-driven attackers (e.g. 4th Mass) tend not to be.

~Aldin, who notes that in most competitive armies 1x-ers will probably tend to be filler

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles