Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old May 5th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I can't make it, but if I could (Main Event 2019 ideas)

Main Event

Open to all players. 52 positions, 6-round Swiss style tournament with rounds 2, 4, & 6 played Reverse the Whip (using your opponent's army). Players bring a 410 point army, 16 figure limit, no Marvel. Top 16 players advance to finals.

Main Event - Finals
The top 16 from day 1 of the Main Event bring the same 410 point army. 4-round single elimination tournament, with rounds 1 & 3 played Reverse the Whip (using your opponent's army). Prizes awarded.

What are your thoughts on the competitiveness of armies with this format? I'm thinking that since you can get in at 4-2, that could mean going 3-0 with your army and then beating it just once.

Regardless, I'd probably err on the side of having an army I like to play, such as:

3x Arrow Gruts 120
Krug 240
Raelin 320
3x Swog Rider 395 (14)
Isamu optional. I probably wouldn't play him because he is more likely to make you lose than he is to let you win a game, if that makes any sense.

A less powerful but maybe more fun arrow grut build:

2x Arrow Gruts 80
Krug 200
2x Swog Rider 250
Mimring 400 (10)

3x Blade Gruts 120
Grimnak 240
Tornak 340
Nerak 390
Marcu 410 (16)

Raelin 80
2x Gladiatrons 240
2x Blastatrons 360 (16, sitting one blast)

Too strong, even with the 50 point deficit?

3x Redcoats 225
Nilfheim 410 (13)

3x Aubrien Archers 210
Cyprien 360
Sonya 405 (11)

5x Venoc Vipers 200
Braxas 410 (16)
and very snakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 5th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Re: I can't make it, but if I could (Main Event 2019 ideas)

I’m bringing, wait a minute....good try.

I expect to see Hatamoto show up quite a bit this year given his performance last year.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; May 5th, 2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Acolarh and Aubriens for the win.
Old May 5th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Just do 3x Axegrinders, Morgrimm and a funny filler, like Deadeye Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; May 5th, 2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: I'd laugh if you played that army
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:14 PM

zeekthefreak knows what's in an order marker zeekthefreak knows what's in an order marker

Why did we up the game count to 6? Last year it was 5 which seemed reasonable. As well as a point count decrease by I believe 80. It seems better to play less games with longers matches, rather than more games with less army.
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekthefreak View Post
Why did we up the game count to 6? Last year it was 5 which seemed reasonable. As well as a point count decrease by I believe 80. It seems better to play less games with longers matches, rather than more games with less army.
Because I wanted to and since I’m in charge...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 5th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Having more games lessens the impact of individual bad match-ups and makes it to where less people will end up with a record of 3-2 and be randomly selected for Day 2. It also means that everyone gets to play more HeroScape games (even with less points, the first day should run longer), which I'm a big fan of.
Old May 5th, 2019, 02:35 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Id just take it as a challenge and dive in. Different unit counts, point limits, and formats change up the game to let some units shine more than others and messes with the Meta game a little bit. Its also fun to flex your skills this way.

and because Matthias said so.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I love brainstorming army ideas! Especially at lower point totals, since it tightens up the wiggle room on making sure your army is effective.

I really like the Grut armies posted. I'm no expert on Arrow Grut armies, but I think I would probably take the Raelin variant over the Mimring one, personally. Mostly I just like the security of the extra Arrow Gruts, which probably stems from me not being super comfortable with Arrow Gruts in a high-level setting. I'd be all for that Blade Grut build, though. A Heavy build would be interesting too, maybe something like:

Heavy Gruts x2
Nerak
Grimnak
Syvarris

Or maybe switch out Grimnak and Syvarris for Tornak and Kaemon Awa, or maybe even Ornak and a Fen Hydra. Notice, though, that I'm more likely to play low numbers of Heavy Gruts in an army because I'm more comfortable with them.

I do think that Nilf/10th is too strong for RtW, and would never want to give that army to my opponent. Cool that it comes out straight to 410, though.

Probably worth tossing out an army that came to me. I call it "GenCon's Favorite Things" because I see these guys praised all the time in a lot of GenCon relevant threads (and I find it interesting that a lot of good RtW units came from the DnD waves):

Eltahale
Phantom Knights x2
Mezzodemon Warmongers x2

I'll be brainstorming more ideas too, I'm sure. I really like coming up with RtW armies.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 7th, 2019, 08:43 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

A lot of the D&D units are among the best designed and balanced units in the game, and they tend to promote really interesting choices. That’s why we like units such as Eltahale, Mezzos, PKs, Greenscales, Goblin Cutters, Heirloom, Frost Giant, Death Chasers, Red and Black Wyrmlings, etc. All these are in the B+ to A- range and are super interesting; they make some of the best RtW units around (although I do think the Eltahale, 2x Mezzos, 2x PKs build is awesome, but a bit too strong).
Old May 9th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Grok Riders x2 260
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Krav 100

Marro Drudge x3 150
Taelord 180
Marro Warriors 50
Guilty 30

^might be stretching it...we'll see how many SotM maps there'll be

Jotun 225
Rats x3 120
Zetacron 60 (or Deadeye if you're feeling edgy)

Sujoah 185
Spiders x1 40
Q9 180

Deathwalker 7000 100
4th Mass x2 140
Sentinels x1 110
Sam Brown 60

Shades of Bleakewoode x1 100
Elite Onyx Vipers 100
Dwarves x2 140
Darrak 60
Isamu 10

^I don't know why but I like this one haha, it's so weird

Sir Dupuis 150
PK's x2 140
Hydra 120

(Hydra+PKs might be too strong)

Runa 120
Minions x2 220
Tarn 50 (MW too strong with 2 sets of Minions?)

This is fun. With RtW being half the rounds the ideal teetering between "too good" and "too bad" seems to have less pressure. I think I'd lean towards the weaker side and try to focus on what's kinda bad but what I can get a win or two with. I think that's why units like Shades and Runa are looking likeable to me....if you can sneak out a win with a lucky D20. Although that Q9 one basically already deems it on the too good side being that it simply includes Q9 (then the mindset is, 'ok, I have three rounds to beat Q9.').

Day 2 makes the pressure more real though...you don't want something that really struggles to win against a good player.

Last edited by Cleon; May 9th, 2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old May 9th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Also I'm always inclined that weaker players will bring something too good, and good players will bring something on the weak side or medium side, so for this year I think weaker is more appealing. You really don't want to go up against a good player with something strong in the reverse rounds...And nowadays most players are in pretty good.

Could be wrong though but that's how it looks to me.
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:11 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I love the army advice: "Play what you Know and Know what you play" and in RTW its even more true as you are playing against what you bring. However my armies tend towards "Fast and Fragile" or "Bread and Butter" AKA "Swarming armies" as I love (i.e. have fun) playing with and against them and know them better than most, but I think are too easy in the hands of experienced players, and they are not that Order marker intensive. Are these armies too strong for Gencon (410, 16 fig max)?

VIPERS - 17 figures (sit 1)
Armoc Vipers/Aubrien Archers x 1
Venoc Vipers x 4
Venoc Warlord x 1
Zetacron (Can bring Deadeye if Zetacron with +2 move is too strong)

MARRO PLAQUE
Su-Bak-Na
Marrden Nagrubs x 1
Marro Drones x 3
4th squad of drones + Marcu / Me-Burk-Sa + Marcu / Stingers x 1

UNDEAD + RANGE
Zombies x 4
Johnny “Shotgun” Sullivan
Syvarris/Agent Carr/Gurei-Oni/Atlaga/Heirloom/KMA (adjust strength to suit meta)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion