Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape > Battlefields of Star Wars Scape
Battlefields of Star Wars Scape HoSS Maps and Scenarios

Notices

Old November 24th, 2015, 05:37 PM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Design Holocron of Bespin Landing Platforms

I had the chance to play on this map recently. It was fun, with all of the fighting taking place in a very small area. And it pretty much drips with Star Wars theme. Fighting in the hallways felt "right". Most of what you wrote previously was the case in our battles also. We played the first game that the special attack could only target the top level of the platform. The second game a figure on any part of the platform could be targeted, but not the road tiles just outside the hallway. I think the raised area was not so good. I was able to hide a few characters out there. I would keep it all of the outside or just the platform, but wouldn't go with just the raised area. I agree that this map needs the battlefront makeover at some point to get the platforms involved though.
We did have two questions. On our map, there is a gap between the outside wall and the middle wall running perpendicular. One of the characters on the high space could see and shoot one of the characters on the opposing space. We played though as if they couldn't see through the wall. (Theme) I want to make sure that is your intent, or even if you ran into that on your map. It could be just the way ours went together. The other question was for the "at the end of the round" with the special attack. I had R2-D2 in my army. We did a D20 roll off to determine which went off first. Is it your intent that the attack go absolutely last, or are you ok with the simultaneous thing?
My army was Vader, Kenobi, Stormtroopersx1, C3-PO, R2, and Isamu. Hosey had Venocx3, Venoc Warlord, Charos, and Arkmer. So he was able to control the glyph almost the whole time, but I had fun throwing the obstacles around. That was the first time we used the obstacles. They were pretty fun too.
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:09 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it. I'd love it if you filled out a map PT report so I could link it and count it toward getting released. It is easy to do and it pretty informal compared to the figure play test reports we like to see. You pretty much filled out most of it already with the post above. I'm not sure where an easy link is off hand so I included the format we use in the spoiler below.

On your two questions. If you do have a gap you think someone could shoot through, the intent is that you do not. I double check my build to see if it shows up there but I'm assuming it does if you followed the directions posted as I used the same directions. I believe I also could move some of the wall sections around to make the gap go away, perhaps that is the better option. Then on the end of round d20 roll when two powers both happen at the end of the round, you did it correctly. Whenever there are two powers that 'trigger' at the same time, the d20 determine the order. Maybe R2 moves before the gun fires, maybe he does not.

Spoiler Alert!
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:22 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Thanks for using a Hoss map @hose , and giving feedback, very cool. I also liked being able to shoot at anyone outside the doorway, instead of a constricted parameter such as the raised section. This map really utilizes the DO's that hoss came out with a while back.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:52 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Thanks for using a Hoss map @hose , and giving feedback, very cool. I also liked being able to shoot at anyone outside the doorway, instead of a constricted parameter such as the raised section. This map really utilizes the DO's that hoss came out with a while back.
That was part of the plan when I started working on it. Glad to see it worked out as intended.
Old November 25th, 2015, 07:23 PM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it. I'd love it if you filled out a map PT report so I could link it and count it toward getting released. It is easy to do and it pretty informal compared to the figure play test reports we like to see. You pretty much filled out most of it already with the post above. I'm not sure where an easy link is off hand so I included the format we use in the spoiler below.
I should be able to get to it this weekend. Our first game was kind of a scenario, I hope that doesn't detract from what you are looking for. I will write it up and tweak as needed. Glad I can help.
Old November 26th, 2015, 12:13 AM
C3G Landlord

Sounds good. Thanks!
Old November 28th, 2015, 05:21 PM

Name of Map (Bespin Landing Platforms)

Overall Look: Looks good, good representation of what I would expect from landing platforms. Color choices help a lot with that. Definitely has that Star Wars vibe. And I can easily see where another Bespin map could connect to it.

Stability: Pretty stable. We did not knock the map apart at any point while playing. Not a map that is easy to move once in place. Hosey started building this with snow pieces where there were empty spaces on the first layer, so ours may have been a little more stable.

Build difficulty: Hosey had difficulty with it. But he is 12 and sometimes gets distracted, but he usually does ok. I think it is because of the angle of the map on the build instructions. I was able to fix the map pretty quickly and didn’t think it was difficult.

Size: This map is a little longer than I thought it would be, but that is because of the large landing pads. It doesn’t have a negative effect on how long it takes for units to engage each other.

Unit types positively affected: Ranged units can use the DO’s to hide behind while they shoot. But LOS issues help melee figures close the distance, so I don’t feel that is unbalanced. Fast units can get to the glyph quickly and jam up the opposite team’s entrance to the halls. Venoc Vipers made it difficult for me to get my troops into the hallway.

Unit types negatively affected: Tall units that can’t fit through the arches won’t be good on this map.

Key areas on the Map: The steps allow height and LOS to both sides of the hallway for units with range. The glyph, of course, is a key spot. It was important to either control the glyph, or at least deny it to your opponent, in both of our games.

Areas not used much or at all: The landing platforms were not used often. Neither Hosey nor I use the land platforms because Hosey had the glyph most of the time. Our first game we only had the glyph attack target the raised area. So I hid R2 and C3-PO out there for a while. The second game we played that all of the platform could be targeted, and that was better.

Game 1:
Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2:
Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

Final Thoughts: Hosey: I thought that this was a great map and I would like to see another side to this map. Two hundred thumbs up from me.
Me: Nice map. Definitely felt like Star Wars. Action was quick and there was very good use of the DO’s. It was our first time using them, and we both really enjoyed the added tactical decisions that come with them. I would have the Bespin Defense glyph attack all the platform, not just the raised area. I would not recommend it for a tourney bc some huge figures can’t enter the arches but mostly bc not all of the map was used. Fighting takes place pretty much in one small area. But that fits with the Star Wars theme and I like it. It is balanced and very fun, with a lot to think about and decide each turn. I could also easily see an “additional” part of the map added to where the steps are, and the whole thing would probably work pretty well as a “battlefront type” map.
Old November 28th, 2015, 05:33 PM
C3G Landlord

Two hundered thumbs up, that is some high praise! Thanks for the great play test report. I've now linked it to the FP. I agree that it would lead well into a second 'inside' cloud city map. I tried giving that a shot and made a 'freezing chamber' themed map that connected and used some of the left over wall sections but ended up not really liking how it played once I tried it out. Perhaps I'll revisit it at some point in the future or someone else might give it a go. Maybe they don't actually need to connect but rather just have it a scenario type situation where you first battle over control of the landing platforms and then the fight heads inside for round 2.

I'm thinking once Thanksgiving weekend is over, I'll call for a Final Editing vote and we can finalize the wording details on the glyph/special rules. I'll also update the VS file to get rid of that gap in the center wall.
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:17 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

"200 thumbs up", Is that enough to pass it to another phase of testing.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:11 PM
C3G Landlord

I updated the VS file to get rid of the gap in the wall, then replaced the old file with the new one so the current link in the SP should take you to the new file. I left the sand tiles in place of the two warehouse ruin bases, Daniel will just need to switch them out when he makes the PDF. With that, lets move to Final Editing and iron out the special rules wording before giving Daniel a shout out.

Yodaking -
Ninja Status -
DanieLoche -
TREX -
@Koolster25 -

Last edited by Yodaking; December 9th, 2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:49 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Sorry, I never received an email notification, or else I'd probably ninja over here a lot quicker.

Anyway, I think this is definitely ready for final editing. Good work as always, gents.
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

No notification for me neither... :s

Looks fine for me.

Just... looking at the Virtualscape file, I noticed the sand tiles you mentionned YK, but I can't see how to swith them. I missed something ? We only have 3 road tiles available for that.

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape > Battlefields of Star Wars Scape