Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old February 26th, 2009, 11:39 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
The foam cutter buyers/builders guide

Ok so I have caught the bug to start creating terrain using the readily available and inexpensive insulation foam that so many awesome craftsmen/artists use here.

Now the question has come up with which foam cutter to get. There are alot of them out there of varying price and capability.

I am hoping we can use this thread as a place to review and educate folks on what to get or not get.

I would like folks to contribute their own personal wire cutter reviews, stories, building plans etc. (If you have not actually used a particular wire cutter or at least seen it in action then please do not add it to the list)

Gidian uses the Proxxon 37080 Hot Wire Cutter THERMOCUT

It's pretty awesome..and will cost you about $100...but with it's table saw like guide, straight cuts will be super easy.
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:58 AM

pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The foam cutter buyers/builders guide

One of the most important things to remember is to stay clear of anything working on batteries. There's a lot of battery operated foam cutters out there in hobby stores and they may appear to be a good bargain, but these things eat batteries like nothing else does.
Better spend some more money on the purchase, you'll be saving money in the end.

But if money really is tight AND you know what you're doing (or have somebody around who does) it is possible to hook up a battery operated foam cutter through an old transformer (as from an electric hobby train)
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:04 AM

pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby!

(-)

Last edited by pegasus; February 27th, 2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: oops, double post
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

Had my eye on this one myself... for the figure storage foam... and radio control airplanes but that is unlrelated
http://www.foamlinx.com/fc2913.html

A lot more than $100 though...

If your on a budget though, you can make one out of scrap wood, a old power supply, and some wire, etc...
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:40 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post
Had my eye on this one myself... for the figure storage foam... and radio control airplanes but that is unlrelated
http://www.foamlinx.com/fc2913.html

A lot more than $100 though...

If your on a budget though, you can make one out of scrap wood, a old power supply, and some wire, etc...
It is awesome but not sure folks want to shell out $3k to get it.
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:28 AM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260356828526

Buy it now, half as much, and ive seen them go for less with "best offer"
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hot-wire-foam-cutter/

OK following this tutorial I modified my foam cutter.

I placed the transformer, a dimmer switch and a wall terminal in a old CD holder I've been hanging on to. The tools are all made with old extension cords to I can plug them into the power source. I have two tools currently, by I plan on making a scroll saw style cutter as well. This works really well! I plan on making lots of custom terrain!

Old February 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Ok so I have caught the bug to start creating terrain using the readily available and inexpensive insulation foam that so many awesome craftsmen/artists use here.
To be honest with you, I'd recommend buying a few different types of razor and hobby knives for as cheaply as possible. I don't know your skill level, I'd consider mine to be on the high side of totally amatuerish but you may find that using a heated wire vs gently sawing with an extremely sharp blade won't produce much of a difference for you. They are completley different tools to be sure but the end product if you are good with the knife will be just as good and $100 cheaper.

At the very least, I reccomend to make at least 10 items the old fashioned way before shelling out.

Heck, I don't even like to use the expensive foam. I use stereo packaging grade foam. I saw gently with very sharp knives and I make sure to stay away from acetone based paints. It works pretty well for me.

Last edited by DrRansom; February 28th, 2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: sp.
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like blades as well. But there is a downside. They dull fast. Which means you will be buying lots of blades over time.

My solution? Use both!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions