Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 1st, 2008, 12:52 AM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart
Re: Which units have the most to gain from the Jungle?

Honestly, in the end, an extra defense is an extra defense and nobody is going to complain about that. Each extra dice you get is a chance for another shield. It's a bit sad that the huge units are being left out, but not the large units... poor huge figures!

I do think, however, generally, the lower your defense (and range), the more to your advantage the jungle is (so figures like the EI, for instance, as stated in the list fit the mold most well).

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:28 AM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I haven't seen mention of Raelin as a fig that gets a big jungle boost. Parking her next to some jungle will help her survive longer, which helps ALL your figures survive longer, regardless of whether or not they are adjacent to some jungle.
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:53 AM

MechaBeast is surprisingly tart

Its a shame that jungle won't be on every map. Range cover is something that should have been instilled in this game long ago

...and then he used his fight money to buy two of every animal, and then he herded them all onto a boat and then he beat the crap out every single one.

Old June 1st, 2008, 09:14 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I actually with the bonus was just limited to small and medium. I don't like that Q9 can stand next to a jungle tree and get an extra die, and Raelin can stand next to the same tree and get an extra die, giving Q9 two more dice.

I hope that more melee units will be played in the jungle, but remember - there are already 13 BoV maps without jungle in them. Even if we add 2 or 3 jungle maps, ranged units will still be played more often (in tournaments).

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker

Even though Q9 is able to benefit from the extra defense of the trees, I think overall they hurt him more then help, as the bonus isn't limited to normal attacks...
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

rym, thanks, and how could I forget DW9k?!

MI_Tiger, that's a great point - the slow-moving melee squads are gonna have an easier time reaching the opposition if the trees are along their path.

Taeblewalker, squads like the AA and Arrow Gruts will benefit from the jungle defensively, but they'll have an even tougher time putting damage on the opponent with their low attacks. Keep some Swogs handy.

Hex_Endunction_Hour, I think you're joking, as I see no reason the Armoc Vipers will particularly benefit more than any other melee squad. Funny, though.

Bloody the Marro Stinger, we may see some frustrated ranged attackers, and yes, 11 dice is extreme.

King's Knight, Isamu would benefit, but not much more than other melee figures, especially since he's normally reliant upon Vanish instead of defending. You're right about Q9, though he will get the jungle bonus, at least he lost some firepower, even if it is a small amount.

ZBeeblebrox, thanks!

Sisyphus, I see your point, but don't forget to remove almost all the Huge figures from that list.

ParaGoomba Slayer, the Microcorp are likely to get a good bonus since many times water will be near the trees, but there's no guarantees there. Plus, they're ranged attackers themselves.

Einar's puppy, yeah Quiggly down - ain't it great? The jungle affects all non-adjacent attacks.

rdhight, you bring up an excellent point - it almost caused me to put Braxas on the list. However, she won't technically benefit from the jungle, it's just that her strength got stronger. Thanks for bringing that up, though.

SpartanNinja, good point, but Kato doesn't have a range restriction on his aura, so I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Matthias Maccabeus, I couldn't agree more.

DarkBladeCB, the game tends to favor ranged units - I've heard people say huge units have too much of an advantage. I buy the former, but not the latter. Huge units could have used that extra defense die, but it makes a bit of real world sense, so I'm okay with it.

Bengi, great point - added. Rep up.

MechaBeast, you won't hear me argue with that.

killercactus, I don't like classifying all large figures in one way just because of Q9, but people base armies around being able to take down the Major, so I can sympathize. As far as the BoV maps, I've had the same thoughts and am interested to see how the judges handle the situation.

Last edited by Soul Shackle; June 1st, 2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I actually with the bonus was just limited to small and medium. I don't like that Q9 can stand next to a jungle tree and get an extra die, and Raelin can stand next to the same tree and get an extra die, giving Q9 two more dice.
I dunno... limiting the bonus to small and medium would be another slap to the face of two-hex squads. They're all melee and all expensive; they need help. I think shoring up the playability of Templars, Grok Riders, etc. should be a higher priority than hurting Q9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengi View Post
I haven't seen mention of Raelin as a fig that gets a big jungle boost. Parking her next to some jungle will help her survive longer, which helps ALL your figures survive longer, regardless of whether or not they are adjacent to some jungle.
Anything that allows Raelin to roll 4 defense dice is indeed frightening. +Rep for you.
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

You missed the Gladiatrons!

It allows for a unit that you don't want to be adjacent to to be a little more enduring against range.
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here's what I think with benefit the most from it.

Spiders 2 Defense is weak, but with their small stature, and quick movement, they could become very affective.

Gurie-Oni-
I don't think anyone would doubt him getting better with range counter strike already that +1 defense will really help.

Samurai in general- They can all use those extra defense against range, because that is really their only weakness. Range!

Ashigaru- Both will be helped greatly, with that extra die, they may stand a chance. Kata not being able to see them may hinder them, but I would think it would help more.

Stinger- Short range with high attack, and possibly 4 defense next to the jungle terrain, they are going to become one of the best squads out their. And they were pretty good to start with!

Gorillanators- Automatic defense already+ and extra from the tree's with short range.

DeathReavers- Obvious reasons.

All Wolves- Already nice defense, coupled with powerful attacks, both the Anubians and the Badru versions will benefit greatly.
Plus can you imagine wolves pouncing over the top of trees to get their pray. All your trees belong to our wolves!

Any Ninja- Face it, they are all going to rock after this set comes out.

Kyrie- They will be rocking after that, being that they can fly, and most have nice defense already.

All Vipers- The Armoc's are going to be the most improved over the vipers, and will get a lot better in my mind.

Zombies/Drones/Shades- Divide and conquer! The zombies are already the toughest thing to kill in my mind, and giving them a place to roam is great. Will the occasionally have trouble surrounding.YES, but they should still be able to destroy thing!
-The Drones are going to be great in the jungle being able to dismantle different things in the actual jungle by searching.
-The Shades will be able to spook out different heroes in the forest, and be able to devour them.

These are my opinions, I think overall the jungle will really help the under played units, and help everyone all around. I would say the units that have most to gain are powerful short ranged attackers with 6 or less range.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.

Last edited by Shades fan; June 1st, 2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane View Post
You missed the Gladiatrons!

It allows for a unit that you don't want to be adjacent to to be a little more enduring against range.
After further thinking, I agree, the Glads belong on the list. Thanks, Wind.
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I dunno... limiting the bonus to small and medium would be another slap to the face of two-hex squads. They're all melee and all expensive; they need help. I think shoring up the playability of Templars, Grok Riders, etc. should be a higher priority than hurting Q9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengi View Post
Anything that allows Raelin to roll 4 defense dice is indeed frightening. +Rep for you.
It's funny, how well I read the rules
It was limited to Small/ Medium or Large figure, Huge figures don't get the bonus. So units like Braxas don't get it.
It makes sense, being that a palm tree or bush couldn't hide a giant!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM

ADDED:

10th Regiment of Foot

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units