Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old March 18th, 2024, 11:16 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
You'll probably want more than 1 Life per Shi-Tarkas if the design is an Uncommon Hero now.

The Species you're using is starting to raise questions for me. Vespoid implies a wasp-like creature, but the sculpt chosen better resembles to a mantis. Also, is this a D&D thri-kreen, or is it an original creation from a Heroscape world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
So many edits, internally and externally. It's a good thing nobody reads these . . .
Oh, am I not supposed to be commenting here?
My bad! I forgot to return it to 5 Life. Mantidae would be OK, but Vespoid is close enough. Taking the sculpt out of the D&D context. We'll have to work out those details - if the design proves worthy.

I was teasing. I welcome your comments.

P.S.: I forgot so much during revisions. I've asked @mac122 to make a new card, and I sent him the wrong info multiple times. This is where we're at:

SHI-TARKAS
General: Aquilla
Race: Mantidae
Uniqueness: Uncommon Hero
Class: Scout
Personality: Fearless
Size: Medium 5
Life: 5
Move: 6
Range: 1
Attack: 3
Defense: 3

SHI-TARKAS ATTACK BONDING
If this Sh-Tarkas inflicts a wound on an opponent's figure, you may take a turn with one other Shi-Tarkas you control.

THRI-KREEN ASSAULT
If an opponent's figure is within 2 spaces of this Shi-Tarkas, and its base is no more than 1 level above or 1 level below this Shi-Tarkas' base, this Shi-Tarkas may add 1 to her Range when attacking that opponent's figure. You may add 1 to this Shi-Tarkas' Attack if there is another Shi-Tarkas within 2 spaces of both the targeted figure and this Shi-Tarkas.

EVASIVE 1
When this Shi-Tarkas rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, add 1 defense die to her roll.

P.S.: Edited card. See above.

P.P.S.: Yes, Shi-Tarkas' Attack Bonding could theoretically go on forever, like DW8000's Rapid Fire Special Attack.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 20th, 2024 at 06:34 PM.
Old March 20th, 2024, 06:33 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Made significant changes, again, to the above.
Old March 20th, 2024, 09:37 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Ah, cool. I actually figured as much, and I was trying to play along with it.
-------------------------------

VC generally limits the number of turns a player can take per Order Marker to prevent Azazel from resurrecting himself too easily. Shi-Tarkas Attack Bonding might be able to skirt this unspoken rule because it's an inherently probabilistic power rather than a guaranteed sequence of 4+ turns, but you should be prepared for the possibility of opposition on such grounds.

I would recommend renaming Thri-Kreen Assault if the Shi-Tarkas isn't a thri-kreen.

Why must a Shi-Tarkas be within 2 spaces of another to gain full benefit from Thri-Kreen Assault? I assume that a Shi-Tarkas is supposed to be deadlier when fighting enemies within reach of its fellows, but this caveat precludes historically proven methods of tandem attacks such as the pincer formation.
Old March 20th, 2024, 11:22 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, cool. I actually figured as much, and I was trying to play along with it.
-------------------------------

VC generally limits the number of turns a player can take per Order Marker to prevent Azazel from resurrecting himself too easily. Shi-Tarkas Attack Bonding might be able to skirt this unspoken rule because it's an inherently probabilistic power rather than a guaranteed sequence of 4+ turns, but you should be prepared for the possibility of opposition on such grounds.

I would recommend renaming Thri-Kreen Assault if the Shi-Tarkas isn't a thri-kreen.

Why must a Shi-Tarkas be within 2 spaces of another to gain full benefit from Thri-Kreen Assault? I assume that a Shi-Tarkas is supposed to be deadlier when fighting enemies within reach of its fellows, but this caveat precludes historically proven methods of tandem attacks such as the pincer formation.
Firstly, the DW8000 comparison doesn't hold? Secondly, yes, I'll rename it. Thirdly, taking out the extra attack die to nerf Attack Bonding. Brave Arrow will be bad enough. Thus, we have:

SHI-TARKAS
Race: Mantidae
Uniqueness: Uncommon Hero
Class: Scout
Personality: Fearless
Move: 6

SHI-TARKAS ATTACK BONDING
If this Sh-Tarkas inflicts a wound on an opponent's figure, you may take a turn with one other Shi-Tarkas you control.

SHI-TARKAS ASSAULT
If an opponent's figure is within 2 spaces of this Shi-Tarkas, and its base is no more than 1 level above or 1 level below this Shi-Tarkas' base, this Shi-Tarkas may add 1 to her Range when attacking that opponent's figure.

EVASIVE 1
When this Shi-Tarkas rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, add 1 defense die to her roll.

@mac122, like I said . . .

Last edited by kolakoski; March 21st, 2024 at 10:00 AM.
Old March 21st, 2024, 12:14 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The difference with DW8000 is that it starts its turn, uses Rapid Fire SA, and then keeps making new attacks without ever actually ending its turn until it fails to wound something. Meanwhile, a Shi-Tarkas starts its turn, attacks, ends its turn, and then activates Shi-Tarkas Attack Bonding, causing a different Shi-Tarkas to start its own turn, attack, end that turn, and activate Shi-Tarkas bonding, causing a different Shi-Tarkas to start its own turn...

Basically, the Shi-Tarkas isn't simply picking new targets for a special attack; it's bonding with another figure in its player's army whenever it ends a turn that involved a successful attack.

I don't know if you actually need to nerf Shi-Tarkas Assault; I thought the additional attack die was perfectly fine.

I'm afraid I don't understand the Brave Arrow comment.
Old March 21st, 2024, 09:56 AM

Well met!

Quote:
The difference with DW8000 is that it starts its turn, uses Rapid Fire SA, and then keeps making new attacks without ever actually ending its turn until it fails to wound something. Meanwhile, a Shi-Tarkas starts its turn, attacks, ends its turn, and then activates Shi-Tarkas Attack Bonding, causing a different Shi-Tarkas to start its own turn, attack, end that turn, and activate Shi-Tarkas bonding, causing a different Shi-Tarkas to start its own turn...

Basically, the Shi-Tarkas isn't simply picking new targets for a special attack; it's bonding with another figure in its player's army whenever it ends a turn that involved a successful attack.

I don't know if you actually need to nerf Shi-Tarkas Assault; I thought the additional attack die was perfectly fine.

I'm afraid I don't understand the Brave Arrow comment.
Thanks for commenting!

Brave Arrow adds an attack die to Shi-Tarkas' adjacent attacks. Plus 1 at height plus 1 for Brave Arrow makes a potential 6 attack driving Attack Bonding. Probably too much for SoV.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 21st, 2024 at 11:53 AM.
Old March 21st, 2024, 03:04 PM

Well met!

Quote:

Since you insist:

SHI-TARKAS ASSAULT
If an opponent's figure is within 2 spaces of this Shi-Tarkas, and its base is no more than 1 level above or 1 level below this Shi-Tarkas' base, this Shi-Tarkas may add 1 to her Range when attacking that opponent's figure. If there is another Shi-Tarkas within 2 spaces of that opponent's figure, you may add 1 to this Shi-Tarkas' attack against that opponent's figure.
Old March 21st, 2024, 10:38 PM

First, please ignore my objection to Shi-Tarkas Attack Bonding's potential number of turns per Order Marker; I overlooked the logistical difficulty of actually maneuvering multiple Uncommon Heroes into position to use the power. Also, I referred to AliasQTip's probability table to double-check the probability of earning 3+ bonding turns against the average (3-4 Defense) figure, and it's not actually as likely as I thought. My bad!

Second, for similar reasons I'm not too concerned about Brave Arrow's aura. The Shi-Tarkas and Brave Arrow are both melee units, so repositioning them all (individually) after a few successful attacks could be inconvenient enough to keep the payoff of multiple attacks of 5+ dice in check.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 09:39 AM

Well met!

@Blue Trails, thanks for that! I feel so much better. What do you think of renaming Shi-Tarkas Attack Bonding: Shi-Tarkas Blood Bonding. Reiterating:

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by kolakoski; March 22nd, 2024 at 05:02 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 11:13 PM

Shi-Tarkas Blood Bonding sounds like a fine name. Now that I think of it, VC uses "X Attack Bonding" for powers that allow another figure to take a turn during which can't move (e.g. Zaeus's Gorillinator-activating power), so Blood Bonding would also be more VC compliant.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 09:58 AM

Well met!

Quote:
Shi-Tarkas Blood Bonding sounds like a fine name. Now that I think of it, VC uses "X Attack Bonding" for powers that allow another figure to take a turn during which can't move (e.g. Zaeus's Gorillinator-activating power), so Blood Bonding would also be more VC compliant.
Too late (for now):

Thanks to @mac122!
Old March 23rd, 2024, 07:30 PM

Well met!

Most of the designs for customs I've been working on eschew Special Attacks. Some of my favorite Classic units have been nerfed brutally by their proliferation, such that they are not nearly as fun to play. I want to do something about it, but, for once, I am uncertain as to how to proceed.

The idea is simple enough. When a figure is attacked with a Special Attack, it may defend as though it were a normal attack. The question is: What kind of figure would be best (wizard, ninja, agent, etc.) and how is the power presented (within (x) spaces of the figure, with a 20-sider roll, triggered by what). Suggestions?

P.S.: For instance:

Seoni, Human Sorcerer
Pathfinder Battles Set:
Iconic Heroes Evolved

PHOEBE RUNECASTER
Race: Human
Uniqueness: Unique Hero
Class: Monk
Personality: Disciplined
Move: 5

AURA OF PROTECTION
When any figure you control within 6 spaces of Phoebe Runecaster is attacked with a Special Attack, that figure may defend as though it were a normal attack.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 24th, 2024 at 11:59 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards