Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:04 PM

Bothell_is_Awesome Woo who?
Question New to HeroScape. I got some bones to pick.

Hey everyone. I am new to this whole Heroscape thing. I have the Swarm of the Marro master game set, and the figures from the RotV set (thank god for HSG). Anyway, I was thinking about buying a new (small) expansion. Or fortress of the archkyrie. I saw one at NeutralGroundsOnline for about 30 bucks, if anyone wants to know. They also have it in stock at A snAGGY diME, for 16.50. Which expansion pack is your favorite? Also, i'm kind of peeved at the fact there are like no maps you can make with 1 SotM master set!!! Whats up with that???? The table I use to set up my game is a small pool table, that if turned upside down is a regular table. It barely holds everything. Anyway, that's all for now. I MIGHT make maps, take some pictures. I don't know yet. Ok, i'm done. Just thought i'd introduce myself.
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:08 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: New to HeroScape. I got some bones to pick.

Welcome to the Site!

My favorite expansion pack has got to be Raknar's Vision. It has some of the best figures in the game (IMO) and is really worth it. However it might be hard to find.

Again, welcome to the addiction!

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
Welcome to the Site!

My favorite expansion pack has got to be Raknar's Vision. It has some of the best figures in the game (IMO) and is really worth it. However it might be hard to find.

Again, welcome to the addiction!
I took a look at Raknar's Vision. Pretty cool. I like the dragons
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM

The Mi-Go 13 knows what's in an order marker The Mi-Go 13 knows what's in an order marker The Mi-Go 13 knows what's in an order marker

I really dig Kilts and Commandos. Shouldn't be too hard to find that one right now. Ofcourse, Krug comes in Wave 2 heroes pack. I can't say the pack is awesome but he certainly is fun. Lastly, Wave 7 heroes pack; the Eisenwein vampire family is sooo cool.

Welcome.

M13

Great traders: Hilo-scaper, RDHight, quozl, troubleman23, Syvarris the Ruler, Onacara
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM

smileydude560 Woo who?

Hey! I live in Bothell! Welcome to S'caping!

My favorite small expansion is Drones and Minions, because Minions are really fun to play with. They are really hard to kill.

My favorite terrain expansion is Fortress of the Archkyrie, because Castle siege is epic.

That's my
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:22 AM

2xHero knows what's in an order marker 2xHero knows what's in an order marker
Re: New to HeroScape.

Welcome to the site!

Buying the RotV figures was a good move. It really gives a lot of good options for new scapers. For buying your first expansions, I would recommend buying unique packs. Most common squads require multiple sets to be used to their fullest potential, and it is usually more exciting (and affordable) to get different units.

Also, Vydar made a pretty good guide Optimizing your collection: "What should I buy next. You might want to take a look at that.

Since you ask, my personal favorite (unique) small expansion is the wave 4 Lawmen and Samurai, but it's pretty hard to find now. My favorite common expansion...that is a toss-up between Wave 2 Minions and Drones and Wave 1 Grut Orcs. Wave 2 was recently re-released, and wave 1 will be re-released this summer.

It's true that there are not many maps posted for one SotM set. You should try making your own! When I first starting scaping, I had a great time making all these crazy maps... Getting terrain expansions really expands the possibilities. If possible, get the RotV terrain. It includes a lot more land, and many more maps have already been posted using that set. But even the castle set or the jungle tree set will give you more options. You could even build some BoV maps: Embattled Fen or Ticalla Sunrise. The Battlefields of Valhalla (BoV) are high quality, tournament-approved maps. But I still recommend building your own maps.

If you are interested, there is a group in Seattle that has a monthly game day. Their thread is here.
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Nathify is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Get Heroes of Elswein. NOW!

Things in life dissapoint you. Even heroscape...when you notice how light your wallet is.
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'd get the Original Master set just for the better terrain. I love the Castle set, but isn't easy to get, though you get alot of road pieces for even when you aren't using the castle, and the battlements are cool as well.

Both the Jungle set and Forgotten Forest are highly recommended and are next on my shopping list.
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Both the Jungle set and Forgotten Forest are highly recommended and are next on my shopping list.
I would definitely recommend Ticalla Jungle. There are a bunch of cool maps you can make with them. Forgotten Forest and FotA are really good expansion packs too. I would tie between Ticalla Jungle and Raknar's Vision.

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

jschild got that one. I would have waited to get a little more money and just bought an entire Master Set. That way you could have gotten access to the mass amounts of terrain found within.

(I have no favorite. Anything with figures and/or terrain is my favorite (Contradictory. Oh!))
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:36 PM

chispito is surprisingly tart

Welcome!

Overview
I would plan out your purchases so that you are left with as few loose ends as possible, using the books and the synergy charts in conjunction with the list of small expansion sets on the official site. You can check around here to see which sets are easily available and which ones are dependent on your location or how much you wish to pay online.

Terrain
You'll need to figure out for yourself how much terrain you want to purchase and when. I've found that one of each Master Set is just fine for any reasonable sized map for 2-4 players, unless you absolutely have to have extreme height. Don't worry too much while you only have the SotM set about finding maps online. Just focus on making roughly symetrical maps yourself for now, and you will have a good idea how much bigger you would want to build whenever you do obtain more terrain. Rather than buying his own terrain right away, the value-conscious scaper will try to get his friend to buy a Master Set, so can can combine them on game night (don't forget to initial yours).

Recommended Purchase Order
As for the figures, if it were me, this the order I would buy my first sets, based on value, variety, and availability:

Wave 7 hero packs ~$25
Raknar's Vision ~$20
Wave 8 hero packs ~$25
(optional) Ashigaru x2 or x3 if you want to try swarming, assuming you bought Kato

If they are easy to obtain, also consider:
Heroes of Barrenspur ~$13 Krug really keeps everyone on their toes
Knights and the Swog x2 ~$26 Best bonding squad you can semi-easily get right now. the swog rider might come in handy if you buy the Grut Orc pack when it's released in the summer, or you can trade it here to someone for something else, I bet.

Disclaimer
That's all based on my experience. Others around here not only have been playing longer, but have guided more newcomers than myself, so don't take my word over theirs.

Last edited by chispito; February 26th, 2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added headings to a longish post, for clarity
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chispito View Post
Welcome!

Overview
I would plan out your purchases so that you are left with as few loose ends as possible, using the books and the synergy charts in conjunction with the list of small expansion sets on the official site. You can check around here to see which sets are easily available and which ones are dependent on your location or how much you wish to pay online.

Terrain
You'll need to figure out for yourself how much terrain you want to purchase and when. I've found that one of each Master Set is just fine for any reasonable sized map for 2-4 players, unless you absolutely have to have extreme height. Don't worry too much while you only have the SotM set about finding maps online. Just focus on making roughly symetrical maps yourself for now, and you will have a good idea how much bigger you would want to build whenever you do obtain more terrain. Rather than buying his own terrain right away, the value-conscious scaper will try to get his friend to buy a Master Set, so can can combine them on game night (don't forget to initial yours).

Recommended Purchase Order
As for the figures, if it were me, this the order I would buy my first sets, based on value, variety, and availability:

Wave 7 hero packs ~$25
Raknar's Vision ~$20
Wave 8 hero packs ~$25
(optional) Ashigaru x2 or x3 if you want to try swarming, assuming you bought Kato

If they are easy to obtain, also consider:
Heroes of Barrenspur ~$13 Krug really keeps everyone on their toes
Knights and the Swog x2 ~$26 Best bonding squad you can semi-easily get right now. the swog rider might come in handy if you buy the Grut Orc pack when it's released in the summer, or you can trade it here to someone for something else, I bet.

Disclaimer
That's all based on my experience. Others around here not only have been playing longer, but have guided more newcomers than myself, so don't take my word over theirs.
Thanks for this nice little description. What would be the best expansion to buy if I wanted sort of an "unfair" map, like 1 side has less people but have a height advantage or something, and the other side is trying to claim the area?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion