Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:16 AM

DarQraven Woo who?
Range vs. Directs

Hi there!
I'm a new player here, and unfortunately only own one master set. (Expansions are really hard to come by where I live)

So far I love the game, but I keep noticing one thing: Range seems way too powerful to me:/

Seeing as you only get one terrain set with RotV, most maps will be pretty small in footprint if you also want some interesting height advantages.
This means that a squad like the AE, Syvarris or even Krav Maga can, in a lot of cases, shoot diagonally from one side of the map straight to the other one. Meaning there is no way in hell to dodge these guys.
Same goes for DW9k's range, and having just the basic figures, the only way I've found of beating him is swarming him and trying to force him to leave engagement or just send someone like Drake or Agent Carr over there.

The problem here is: assuming there are some height differences, you'll be shot twice by the guy before you even get into range. And that's assuming he just stands still and there are no other units to bother you.
In every game we've played where one player would pick ranged and the other would pick directs like the Izumi, Drake, Carr, etc backed up by Raelin, thorgrimm/finn or w/e, the ranged would win easily, independently of who played the ranged army.

Are we missing some vital strategy here? Are there house rules that counter this effect a bit?
I was thinking somethign along the lines of: Movement/2 = new movement and Range/3 = new Range (roughly). Would make for a bit slower games, but this would allow directs to close in on ranged units a lot easier.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions