Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old June 10th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Munchkin???

(a) Sir G, how did you know you were going to win the next turn? Were you certain to draw a monster from the door deck? Or were you possibly going to draw one of the million race/class/curse/ whatever cards, instead? Or maybe one of the other players was going to polymorph it, or otherwise neutralize it? Regardless, it has a strong *ahem* diplomacy component. Sounds like that's where you lost. . .

(b) Smithy, you would have had more time for other games if only you had not played Munchkin, which apparently so irritated your friends that they quit. Lesson learned, though! Don't even start next time!

What a blast. Five minutes of fun packed into a 90 minute game.

Just because you haven't been able to figure out how to win .....
You are not fooling anyone. We all know you are a closet Munchkin lover.
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGalahad View Post
Got in a 5-player Munchkin last night. Was on Level 9 and would have won next turn, but one daughter deliberately teamed up with other daughter who was an Elf and on Level 9 to keep me from winning. Kids these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy Winfred View Post
Played a 5 player game of munchkin that ended when I killed 5 monsters in one turn and drew the remainder of the treasure deck . The other guys were fed up and just ended the game with me as the winner, one of my problems with the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
I've certainly soured to Munchkin as well. The end game always devolves into everyone trying to stop anyone else from winning until all the resources are spent and one person gets lucky and flips a Lame Goblin or some such for the win. It can still have some fun moments, it can just drag a bit long.
Quote:
Munchkin???

(a) Sir G, how did you know you were going to win the next turn? Were you certain to draw a monster from the door deck? Or were you possibly going to draw one of the million race/class/curse/ whatever cards, instead? Or maybe one of the other players was going to polymorph it, or otherwise neutralize it? Regardless, it has a strong *ahem* diplomacy component. Sounds like that's where you lost. . .

(b) Smithy, you would have had more time for other games if only you had not played Munchkin, which apparently so irritated your friends that they quit. Lesson learned, though! Don't even start next time!

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Recently ordered Love Letter, Loot, and the Civilization: Wisdom and Warfare expansion. Hopefully I'll get at least one of those on the table tonight!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old June 10th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Munchkin???

I'm trying to ween my group off of munchkin by introducing them to better games, but since most of the better games are much more complicated and/or longer, many times they give up and prefer to play munchkin. I'm hoping I can expand my collection to the point where munchkin will grace or table less and less.
Old June 10th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Lords of Waterdeep would be good, with the expansions. Turns go quickly and it's got a nice fantasy theme, well developed for a Euro. Agricola might be asking a lot of them. Five is a lot of people for any game with the potential for analysis paralysis.

Bananagrams is not a *heavier* game, but it plays 5 well, because you never have to wait for your turn. Say Anything (as presented with rules tweak on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop) is also good. I'm sure Hahma could rattle off a list of heavier 5 player intro games, but you don't want them to get bored with games where you have to wait a long time for your turn. Which will be many of the (otherwise excellent) games, like Agricola. You already played my go-to 5 player game, The Resistance, so kudos to you for that one.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Ticket To Ride, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:27 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Ticket To Ride, baby!
Definitely a good one to introduce them to Euro games, & it definitely isn't complicated. In fact I would say that it's less so than Munchkin.
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Ticket To Ride, baby!
My wife and I have played Ticket to Ride a few times. Does that game encourage hoarding your train cards or is it just me? I feel like it's a dumb move to start claiming/creating your tracks with only a few cards, only to have your opponent take an important spot from you while you try and draw the right colors/cards.

I like hoarding like 15+ cards and then steamrolling across the map before anybody knows what hit them.

Also, does it seem like picking up additional "complete route between these two cities" cards is almost always a bad idea? Sorry I forget the name, but those cards seem to end up almost always taking points away from me because I never complete them.
Old June 10th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

That's a good point. If it's rules,and not waiting for their turns, that's the problem, TtR may be just the thing.

IMHO, deciding when to add destination cards is very often the difference between winning and losing.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 10th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Quote:
Ticket To Ride, baby!
My wife and I have played Ticket to Ride a few times. Does that game encourage hoarding your train cards or is it just me? I feel like it's a dumb move to start claiming/creating your tracks with only a few cards, only to have your opponent take an important spot from you while you try and draw the right colors/cards.

I like hoarding like 15+ cards and then steamrolling across the map before anybody knows what hit them.

Also, does it seem like picking up additional "complete route between these two cities" cards is almost always a bad idea? Sorry I forget the name, but those cards seem to end up almost always taking points away from me because I never complete them.

Hoarding is encouraged a bit but the biggest thing is not telegraphing where you want to go or everyone else will take your tracks. And yeah, you need to complete tickets once people get to know the game. Tracks aren't nearly enough points to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 10th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

My family has recently rediscovered Carcassonne. We play with first two expansions. It had been sitting on the shelf forever and we just pulled it out on a whim. Actually got another, non gamer couple to try it and now they are hooked. Great gateway game.

As for Munchkin I'm glad Steve Jackson made a little bit of money on that game. I mean what with his overhead producing it and all. As everyone knows printing on cardboard is just so expensive. Not like those cheap other games that have die cut counters and plastic figures. I actually heard something about him laughing all the way to the bank...
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Recently ordered Love Letter, Loot, and the Civilization: Wisdom and Warfare expansion. Hopefully I'll get at least one of those on the table tonight!
That would be pretty fast delivery.

Never have played Loot or Civilization, but we really enjoy Love Letter. It's a fun social game and playing with fun people makes it all the better.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games