Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old July 21st, 2022, 12:22 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
I've been sitting on this custom for a long time trying to get him to work right, and I think I'm getting really close to where I want him to be prior to submission. I'd love to get any feedback on it!

As worded above, Mag Rail SA can shoot around obstacles like ruins and trees. Is the intended theme that F19 is firing heat seeking/homing missiles of some kind? Because the name sounds like you're trying to convey "magnetic rail gun," and that's not really what rail guns do.
I'd guess that the attack is supposed to punch through cover and armor/shields, as represented by obstacles and gray hit zones, at the cost of lethality. However, the question then becomes, "why can this weapon only hit a single target in a group?"
@Sherman Davies - this is exactly right (what Blue Trails wrote). The idea was to punch through cover - that's part of the reason why when there is no cover, the defending figure loses a die as well.

As far as the reason for it not being a splash attack, I had a version that did that, and the card felt too much like a wall of text. I wanted it a little more simple.
For me at least, having a weapon that can fire at an enemy through other figures without damaging the other figures is a bit of a theme break. Would you consider just reusing Rail Gun SA?
Old July 21st, 2022, 02:42 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
I've been sitting on this custom for a long time trying to get him to work right, and I think I'm getting really close to where I want him to be prior to submission. I'd love to get any feedback on it!

As worded above, Mag Rail SA can shoot around obstacles like ruins and trees. Is the intended theme that F19 is firing heat seeking/homing missiles of some kind? Because the name sounds like you're trying to convey "magnetic rail gun," and that's not really what rail guns do.
I'd guess that the attack is supposed to punch through cover and armor/shields, as represented by obstacles and gray hit zones, at the cost of lethality. However, the question then becomes, "why can this weapon only hit a single target in a group?"
@Sherman Davies - this is exactly right (what Blue Trails wrote). The idea was to punch through cover - that's part of the reason why when there is no cover, the defending figure loses a die as well.

As far as the reason for it not being a splash attack, I had a version that did that, and the card felt too much like a wall of text. I wanted it a little more simple.
For me at least, having a weapon that can fire at an enemy through other figures without damaging the other figures is a bit of a theme break. Would you consider just reusing Rail Gun SA?
I hadn't even considered that since the situation seems to be rare when a figure completely blocks LoS to a different figure you would rather target. I agree with the observation though - it does feel like a bit of a theme break to have that kind of attack possible. And yes, I would consider reusing Rail Gun SA if that helped the design feel simpler, more cohesive, and more interesting. I'd love to hear if anyone else feels the same way about the SA as is.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old July 21st, 2022, 02:54 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
A Thought

Something with obstacles? Might be too wordy though.

~Dysole, whose first thought was actually figure blocking another figure and was confused as to the theme
Old July 21st, 2022, 03:09 PM

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: A Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
Something with obstacles? Might be too wordy though.

~Dysole, whose first thought was actually figure blocking another figure and was confused as to the theme
Oh interesting. Good to know others have had the same thoughts as CS. Would a provision about obstacles fix the theme break for you personally? I'm not sure how to do that without being too wordy, but it's worth trying.

Thanks Dysole!

EDIT: Maybe this:

MAG RAIL SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4. Attack 4. Major F19 does not need clear line of sight when attacking a figure with Mag Rail Special Attack whose line of sight is blocked by a non-figure obstacle. If he has clear sight, the targeted figure rolls 1 less defense die.

That feels pretty simple, yet is still quickly coming into the realm of more complex than I'd like... Hmmm...

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old July 21st, 2022, 03:56 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
That feels pretty simple, yet is still quickly coming into the realm of more complex than I'd like... Hmmm...
I think you're pushing too hard to create the "punch through" theme.
Old July 21st, 2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
I think you're pushing too hard to create the "punch through" theme.
Good to know. Thanks!

Old July 21st, 2022, 04:34 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Yeah I like the original power better.
Old July 21st, 2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Yeah I like the original power better.
Thanks SF. Maybe one question I'll ask you since it was your idea in the first place. As I've been thinking about scrambled communications having varying levels, It seems to me that chances are, it's the X that gets moved if only 1 order marker is adjusted (if I'm playing against F19, I want my X on the card that is most likely to get hit by scrambled communications). So that's led me to think making the values to be something closer to this feels better:

8-13 = 1 OM
14-18 = 2 OM's
19-20 = All OM's

Any thoughts on that?

Old July 21st, 2022, 09:02 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Yeah I like that. If it was random OMs I'd think differently, but since the controller is moving them that makes sense.
Old July 22nd, 2022, 11:21 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Hmm. Now that I think about it, I believe it was ruled that players may place order markers on dead army cards (a Rejected by Death ruling). So the "if possible" part of Scrambled Communications could mean the player is forced to move their order markers off their only active army card onto an inactive one.
Old July 22nd, 2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Yeah I like that. If it was random OMs I'd think differently, but since the controller is moving them that makes sense.
Cool - thanks sf. And yeah, I think having the controller move them is the cleanest way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Hmm. Now that I think about it, I believe it was ruled that players may place order markers on dead army cards (a Rejected by Death ruling). So the "if possible" part of Scrambled Communications could mean the player is forced to move their order markers off their only active army card onto an inactive one.
Ah. That's a good catch. So tweaking it to something that references an Army Card with figures still on the board. That would likely have to be something like, "an Army Card with at least one figure on the battlefield." Thanks!

Old July 22nd, 2022, 01:37 PM

Here's the updated text portion of the card. As you can all see, it's getting really wordy. My solutions for potentially cleaning it up:

1) Remove the part about 1 OM - I feel like in most cases, this is going to be the X Order Marker anyway, so the power isn't going to accomplish as much with just 1 Order Marker. I could be wrong on that though.

2) Remove the condition from the special attack about when Major F19 does have LoS, the defending figure loses a die. I do like this part of the special attack as I feel it adds some theme, but I'm not married to it (though that part of the special was @BiggaBullfrog 's idea and he might feel really atttached to it. )

3) Adjust the special attack to the point of maybe removing it, or just having a bare bones Range 4 Attack 4 special. I do like the no LoS stipulation, but this has seemed to give some people concern about the theme. At the end of the day, I feel more strongly about Scrambled Communications than I do the special attack, though I do like both parts.

Thanks again so much for the wonderful help and suggestions everyone.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards