Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Notices

Old November 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM

KRUG! knows what's in an order marker KRUG! knows what's in an order marker
Re: Update: How to really save Heroscape: A lesson from hist

Sent my hexes to the heads of Hasbro and Wizards this morning. Here's hoping these efforts aren't ignored by the recipients.....

Withhold no sacrifice,
grudge no toil,
seek no sordid gain,
fear no foe.
All will be well.
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Looking at this, I must ask:

Would all of us be content if only the following conditions were met:

WOTC continues to produce reprints of existing scape
WOTC uses cheaper to produce packaging (IE: boxes instead of the current blister pack design).
WOTC puts new 'Scape on the backburner until confident that they can put risk into developing new sets, even if that is a few years down the road.

Personally, that's enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post

WOTC uses cheaper to produce packaging (IE: boxes instead of the current blister pack design).
WOTC puts new 'Scape on the backburner until confident that they can put risk into developing new sets, even if that is a few years down the road.

That would be just fine but I would prefer Hasbro rather than WotC do those things.
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:16 PM

ReyRoberto is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post

I would be perfectly fine with that. I need some older stuff and the packaging always gets pitched anyway.

The night is darkest just before the dawn.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Crazybob is surprisingly tart

Does anyone know if there has been an update on a company that wants to buy Heroscape? If there is a company looking to buy Heroscape I would hope WOTC would ditch Heroscape and sell it to someone who might make new figures rather than use old DND minitures.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Sent out 12 2-hexes today, half to each guy.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:46 PM

panakalego has disabled reputation

I never cared for D&D 'Scape.
All I want to see from HeroScape are reprints of the older sets. I hope Hasbro reacts favorably and someone starts releasing reprints.

I might not post often or contribute to the community, but I play HeroScape and I love what HeroScapers does here.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM

mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Mailing mine off today after work. Is it too much if I add the words "d&d sucks" under bring it back?
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

I sent out two packages today, one to WotC with one double hex snow tile and one to Hasbro with one double hex snow tile and a letter. Both had "Bring it BACK" written on the front and back. The envelopes cost 52¢ apiece including tax and postage cost $1.22 each. That's a grand total of $3.48.

Here is a copy of the letter if anyone would like to read it.

Dear Brian Goldner- 11-16-10

I am extremely disappointed in the recent decision to discontinue making and developing new Heroscape products. I am an avid gamer enjoying all types of strategy games. Chess, checkers, mancala, and backgammon are some of the classic games that I enjoy. Dominion, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Risk are some newer games that myself and friends like to play. But my all time favorite, most fun game of all is Heroscape. The 3-D terrain, the interaction of soulborgs, humans, elves, and marros, the basic simplicity of the rules, and I could just go on and on about why this is my favorite game to play.

In spite of the excitement that I have to play the game, I feel that Heroscape has been grossly mismanaged by your company. The marketing and development has not been on par to the sheer potential that this game possesses. Please allow me to outline a few basic areas where I feel you have not done justice to handling this product and therefore have not gotten the most for your investment.

#1- Moving the handling of Heroscape to Wizards of the Coast proved to be a terrible mistake. Instead of allowing the game to succeed on its own potential, WotC tried to cut corners by giving us recycled DnD figures. This resulted in the release of Dungeons and Dragons themes which many times were incongruent with the basic direction of the game up to that point in time. Smaller bases for figures were not in the best interest of Heroscape, but proved to show basic lack of understanding of the game since Heroscape was not meant to be a collectibles type game. WotC also released way too much material in too short of a time span to allow for people to be able to financially afford the investment. The DnD master set was released only about a year ago, and since then we have had 3 small expansions. Each small expansion costs the average player about $120-$150 if they want to get the maximum enjoyment out of common squads. I am financially well off, but I usually only spend about $200 per year on games. I’m sure many players have not even bought wave D2 yet due to spending all of their money on the DnD master set and wave D1.

#2- Most stores do not stock Heroscape due to the lack of certain packs not selling as quickly as others when Heroscape was initially released. The funny thing is, if they would have held on to them, they would have been able to triple their money since these same packs are now selling on e-bay for over twice the amount and sometimes four times the original price. It has become better business for places like Housemouse to stock Heroscape for a couple of different reasons. First, fans get the product much faster. We don’t have to wait for the new release of something we are all dying to play. Second, it allows the smaller, more knowledgeable retailer to raise prices after their supply gets low increasing their profit margins. My overall point here is that Hasbro did not wisely anticipate how to distribute their highly valuable product. If you doubt the value of your own product, simply go to e-bay and do a search for Heroscape. It should be anticipated that fans will want multiples of common squads and only singles of hero figures.

#3- There have been smaller errors throughout your years of marketing as well. Dual versions of the same character such as Sergeant Alexander Drake are confusing for players. Not properly play testing a character and then overpricing it on its point value makes that character extremely unpopular, such as Taelord. Some characters were released without considering if it should function with other characters or on its own, such as Kee-Mo-Shi and Tul-Bak-Ra functioning as Warlords; instead they also remain unpopular and it would have been such a simple change to prevent this.

My request is simple. Please reconsider the decision to discontinue Heroscape in light of the vast potential that the game has to offer. Most people have heard of Pokemon or Magic, but few have heard of Heroscape. But those that have played Heroscape will always prefer to play it over a game like Pokemon because it is so much more fun. The fan base for Heroscape will continue to grow if properly managed and not mismanaged as when WotC were making the decisions. One thing that could be a transition into producing new figures would be to re-release Zanafor’s Discovery, a wave which many fans are just waiting to order more of. If you need to slightly raise the price, I’m sure most fans would not overly object since many of us have bought hard to find figures on e-bay for elevated prices. Thank you for your time.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

Sorry about the length. I don't know how to do the spoiler alerts, or even insert a picture apparently.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM

i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Mail carrier just picked up my envelope. I included a neutral letter expressing my disappointment at the discontinuation and my hope for an eventual revival of HS (or re-issues).

I think that even a slightly negative tone will do more harm than good.

Anyway-- I'm going to start checking the internets for news of our mail-in campaign in just a few days.

Cross your fingers!

My sale/trade/wants/haves.

Also spend my free time drawing robots:
Instagram @robotoftheday
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker

I just sent a sand 7-hex, a grass 1-hex, a Glyph of Mitonsoul, a Glyph of Brandar, and the Zettian Guards to each company. Can't begin to think how many boxes they're going to get.

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sent mine today.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News