Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 24th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Triattack has disabled reputation
Save the Dice!!!

I first learned of the game playing with my Nephew. Although his dice quickly worn down and are now useless. When my son and I got a set one of the first things we did, after playing a few dozen times, was coat the dice. We went to a hobby store and got a bottle of Testors Glosscote Lacquer. A thin coat on each side seems to have made a big difference in the wear of the dice. We put a coat on each side (including the blank side) and it doesn’t seem to make any difference in the rolling.

Anyone else done the same?
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I have several dice that are worn, but they still somewhat resemble a shield or a skull. Most of us have multiply master sets so worn out dice should not be an issue for a few at least a years yet.

My only comment on tampering with dice would be. What you did is fine for casual play among friends you know. If you should go to a tournament I would recommend you bring an “ uncoated set of dice “ to use. Doing so would be simpler than having people wonder if you loaded the dice ( accidentally or intentionally ). I just think it would be better to not even go down that road for tournament play. It would be better for all parties ( you, your opponents, and the tournament director ), to keep the suspicion from even coming up.

So there is no misunderstanding .. I don’t think you are cheating, I’m sure your protecting your dice. I understand what you are doing, and I have no problem with it… I have a few beat up dice myself, my only word of caution is where you chose to use the coated dice.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM

spleek has disabled reputation
The flagbearer dice have recessed areas where the skulls or shields are. I believe that this will keep them from wearing so fast. I just got mine so they are minty fresh, has anyone had any of the painted shields/skulls/crest on the FB dice wear off?
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM

fejkl Woo who?
I've used my Valkyrie Dice since I got the FB's in late October. There has been absolutely no sign of any wear as of yet. We usually play once per week, sometimes twice.

Along with them being recessed inside the dice a bit, the symbols on those dice seem thicker than on the normal red, white, and/or blue dice. So far, this seems to have helped in keeping them in better shape than the other dice.
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
It's an interesting idea, that you could affect the roll of the dice by coating the faces.

Has anyone ever tried to create a set of biased dice? I have, and found that - by using chunks of lead inserted at strategic points, it was possible (though hard to do with a D6 without making it too obvious).

I am aware that dice cheaters have used not only weights but subtle shaping of the flats and edges, to create dice that are not accurate cubes or are more likely to roll in a particular way, but using particular coatings? Nope, that would be a new one on me.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old February 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation
i destroy two flagbear dice as i try to safe them .

man , that was shocking . the symbol is nuke clear, biut scull and shield were runnig away
now i tape the dice (teaserfilm) i dont know the englisch wort but every office had it on the desk.
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
It's an interesting idea, that you could affect the roll of the dice by coating the face...........
That was not necessary the point I was trying to make. I was trying to keep the issue of some one accusing or believing they he was playing someone with loaded dice. Since dice is such an integral part of our game I just don’t think it would be good to bring altered dice to a tournament …. Weather it affects the rolls or not. There may be a few people at a tournament that may have some heartburn over playing some with tampered dice. I was just warning to keep the issue from coming up at all.

My personal opinion is that I doubt weather a thin coat of nail polish or whatever substance would affect the dice very much if at all…. It is the perception I was warning against.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:19 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
It's an interesting idea, that you could affect the roll of the dice by coating the face...........
That was not necessary the point I was trying to make. I was trying to keep the issue of some one accusing or believing they he was playing someone with loaded dice. Since dice is such an integral part of our game I just don’t think it would be good to bring altered dice to a tournament …. Weather it affects the rolls or not. There may be a few people at a tournament that may have some heartburn over playing some with tampered dice. I was just warning to keep the issue from coming up at all.

My personal opinion is that I doubt weather a thin coat of nail polish or whatever substance would affect the dice very much if at all…. It is the perception I was warning against.
I don't think anyone would even be able to tell. I've seen some folks that have coated their dice. The ones that do it really well could mix the dice in with regulars and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Triattack has disabled reputation
I agree that if anyone were to enter a trounament it is best to have untainted dice to remove any question of cheating.

In order to keep them rolling conistent we painted all the sides, including the blank side. We did a test role of 100 rolles and found no statistical diffrence. I don't think a coating could make enough weight diffrence to change the roll.

I just wish they had done a better job with the dice. Recessed them or ingraved them or something. I heard they did with the flag bearers, but I don't have any.
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
As far as wear, the white dice are notorious for wearing out. It didn't take long, either.

I ordered 2 sets of JohnnPosh's customs, and these hold up a lot better. I would use these over all others, even with flagbearers.

-Ski
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Just today (2 hours ago) I printed Skulls and Shields on sticker paper for our worned out/faded dice. 80% of our dice only has a dot of blue or red to resemble--no not even resemble...to represent--skull and shield. Sometimes in order to tell its a shield or a skull or a blank is to look at the opposite side (the side facing down). Then we decided to use marker pens and mark x for skulls and dot for shield. Not so cool. Thats why I made my own design and printed it. Well its not as awsome as engraved but what the hell...

http://a543.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...296336abae.jpg

(sorry I dont know how to post pictures so...click on the URL)
I have Punisher's skull for the skull.
Captain America's shield for the shield.
Generals of Valhalla symbols and my charicature for blanks.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleek
The flagbearer dice have recessed areas where the skulls or shields are. I believe that this will keep them from wearing so fast. I just got mine so they are minty fresh, has anyone had any of the painted shields/skulls/crest on the FB dice wear off?
I had coated my master set dice with Nail Varnish as someone had recommended on the site and i think they have stopped wearing away but the problem now is i am finding scratches on my Valkyrie dice! I was going to put nail varnish on the symbol on those but i dice on side and the symbol smudged! So i don't know what to do, any suggestions?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion