Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old December 30th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

My daughter and I have been playing a lot of Epic Card Game, which is like Magic the Gathering except it's not collectible, there's no land, and everything's super powerful.

We love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old December 31st, 2017, 08:18 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Playing Twilight Struggle. The last 4 games have ended by end of turn 2. Nukes!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 31st, 2017, 09:20 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Played a 6 captain game of Firefly on Friday night. We made up our own scenario to complete and ended up calling the game after about 5 hours with me being the clear favorite to win at that point in the game. The newest card expansion has these misbehaving cards in it where you have to split your crew into two groups and proceed only using part of your crew for different challenges. I hit two of those cards on what was already a 4 card draw and pulled it off. Split my crew by putting just Wash on his own to try the first card while the other 4 members of my crew stayed together to take on the second card, since I only needed one of the two to succeed to move on with the losing team returning to the ship I figured I'd just end up sending Wash back but he actually beat his card with a keyword pass and continued on. Then for the final card I had to split my crew again with the captain led crew moving on no matter what while the non-captain crew had to try a hard fight, so I again just sent one generic guy off by himself and let him get killed in the fight while the captain went on to finish the job. Fun game!
Old December 31st, 2017, 10:53 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Well since finding a babysitter for New Years Eve is nearly impossible we gave up trying years ago. So for the past five years my family has had a game marathon day leading up to the ball drop. We tend to forgo dinner and eat appetizers all evening between rounds of games. So far we’ve played Splendor, Archaeolohgy card game, and Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries and Ticket to Ride India. All but the card game were first times.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old January 1st, 2018, 02:04 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

My game group had its annual New Year's Eve game day from 11am-11pm, basically like our monthly all days. I only stayed from 11:30 to 6:30 so I could get home and hang with the family.

I played a 6 player game of Ticket to Ride Team Asia, where we had 3 teams of 2. I really liked this version and my partner Geoff and I kicked butt and crushed our opponent's.

Then I played a 5 player game of Scythe with the Wind Gambit expansion. I brought my 6x4 table so we could us the larger side of the board with the extension. It was fun and I got to try out some of the new coins I got for it. I got both the $2 and $50 coins, but never got into the $50's. So with the 1's, 2's, 3's, 5's, 10's, 20's and 50's, there are plenty of cool metal coins for use with other games as well. The resin resource pieces are also great.

Finally, I played Pandemic Rising Tides with 5 players. This is pretty different than other Pandemics I've played, as you have to keep building dikes and continue to fend off water that keeps moving inland and spreading as water cubes.

Other than that, mostly just hung out and visited with my buddies. It was a good turnout of over 20 people.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 1st, 2018, 02:26 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
My game group had its annual New Year's Eve game day from 11am-11pm, basically like our monthly all days. I only stayed from 11:30 to 6:30 so I could get home and hang with the family.

I played a 6 player game of Ticket to Ride Team Asia, where we had 3 teams of 2. I really liked this version and my partner Geoff and I kicked butt and crushed our opponent's.

Then I played a 5 player game of Scythe with the Wind Gambit expansion. I brought my 6x4 table so we could us the larger side of the board with the extension. It was fun and I got to try out some of the new coins I got for it. I got both the $2 and $50 coins, but never got into the $50's. So with the 1's, 2's, 3's, 5's, 10's, 20's and 50's, there are plenty of cool metal coins for use with other games as well. The resin resource pieces are also great.

Finally, I played Pandemic Rising Tides with 5 players. This is pretty different than other Pandemics I've played, as you have to keep building dikes and continue to fend off water that keeps moving inland and spreading as water cubes.

Other than that, mostly just hung out and visited with my buddies. It was a good turnout of over 20 people.
The team aspect really makes me want to go for the Ticket to Ride Asia maps as it seems like it would add a different element to the game and some social team work aspect. We have USA, Europe, Nordic Countries, Switzerland and India already. Europe we sort of cheated and I bought the board only off of ebay and then picked up the 1912 expansion so I didn't have to buy another full game.

Our total for the three of us tonight was...

2x T2R India (Xmas gifts)
2x T2R Nordic (Xmas gifts)
3x Splendor (Xmas gifts)
1x T2R Europe
?x Archaeology Card Game
1x Catan

I really like the India game and the Nordic one is tough.
Archaeology is a good short game that we enjoyed a lot this season.
My wife seems to have taken to Splendor so we will probably play that. She set the family resolution of weekly game nights and we alternate selecting games and she promised not to grumble so we will get her to play heroscape again...probably a lot of Hoss/Star Wars coming up.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old January 1st, 2018, 07:41 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The Chas Christmas 2017 Gaming Report

Happy New Year Everyone! My Canadian pal was here for his annual holiday week visit, this year for 9 days. We played 16 games:

Star Trek Ascendancy (5 Player) I finally ran my very first 5 Player! We had a great time, no one was eliminated, and everyone was in contention. The Borg Assimilation Expansion should be out any day now.

Firefly (4 Player) Using story and set up cards from the newest expansion Crime and Punishment, we had a nice long game. I had a great plan, but almost no aspect of it worked out.

Axis and Allies D-Day x2 (3 Player, 2 Player) Took this oldie off the shelf for some holiday fun. The Germans won one; the Allies won one.

Commands & Colors Tricorne: American Revolution x12
My visitor is a C&C enthusiast from way back; we once spent an entire weekend playing the original Battlecry when it first came out many moons ago. This time we played each of the 12 official scenarios! My eighth C&C game is lots of fun. C&C Medieval comes out in 2018. There will also be expansions for Tricorne and for The Great War in this new year.
Old January 1st, 2018, 09:31 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:

The team aspect really makes me want to go for the Ticket to Ride Asia maps as it seems like it would add a different element to the game and some social team work aspect. We have USA, Europe, Nordic Countries, Switzerland and India already. Europe we sort of cheated and I bought the board only off of ebay and then picked up the 1912 expansion so I didn't have to buy another full game.

Our total for the three of us tonight was...

2x T2R India (Xmas gifts)
2x T2R Nordic (Xmas gifts)
3x Splendor (Xmas gifts)
1x T2R Europe
?x Archaeology Card Game
1x Catan

I really like the India game and the Nordic one is tough.
Archaeology is a good short game that we enjoyed a lot this season.
My wife seems to have taken to Splendor so we will probably play that. She set the family resolution of weekly game nights and we alternate selecting games and she promised not to grumble so we will get her to play heroscape again...probably a lot of Hoss/Star Wars coming up.
I haven't played a ton of TTR, as I never bought any and only play when my friend Scott brings it out at game night. I wish I would have bought at least the base game when my daughters were still into gaming, but now I wouldn't bother, since they won't play and I could play whenever I ask Scott. I think I have only played the base game and maybe Europe before last night. That was fun playing with 6 players and 3 teams. You share 2 wooden card holders that are common route cards and train cards. The rule is that when you get your first 5 route cards, you have to put at least one of them on your team's card holder for both to see. When you draw cards from the river/deck, if you draw a wild card from the river it has to go to your common holder. If you draw 2 cards in any way, you choose where the first one goes (your hand or common holder) and the other goes to the opposite place. It worked out really well and was fun.

Glad your wife likes Splendor If my wife liked any games, I'd play them anytime she wanted, but she is total non-gamer. I like Splendor, and it doesn't take that long, so you have plenty of time for other games as well in a game night.

Old January 1st, 2018, 11:30 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Glad your wife likes Splendor If my wife liked any games, I'd play them anytime she wanted, but she is total non-gamer.
I can relate to the wife situation. I have finally found a game that my wife likes too. I was off work this past week and had recently received Kingdom Builder in the mail. I talked her into playing it with me and she really liked it. We have played several games over the past few nights. And that's saying a lot considering she doesnt usually like any of my games. We tried Pandemic recently, for example, and she didn't care for it at all. There have been many others as well. I'm not sure what it is about Kingdom Builder that clicks with her but I'll take it.

I think that I better hurry and get some expansions for Kingdom Builder before she gets bored with it, and maybe I need to give Splendor a try too
-
-
-

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:20 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Glad your wife likes Splendor If my wife liked any games, I'd play them anytime she wanted, but she is total non-gamer.
I can relate to the wife situation. I have finally found a game that my wife likes too. I was off work this past week and had recently received Kingdom Builder in the mail. I talked her into playing it with me and she really liked it. We have played several games over the past few nights. And that's saying a lot considering she doesnt usually like any of my games. We tried Pandemic recently, for example, and she didn't care for it at all. There have been many others as well. I'm not sure what it is about Kingdom Builder that clicks with her but I'll take it.

I think that I better hurry and get some expansions for Kingdom Builder before she gets bored with it, and maybe I need to give Splendor a try too
-
-
-
That's great Keglo! Baby steps, and then hopefully bigger variety of games she'll like and there you go My wife has zero competitiveness about her and won't even give a game a try. Well, she did try Dominion, Zombie Dice and Incan Gold a long time ago, but she put zero effort into even trying to play them well and sucked the fun out of them for us. So from then on, she won't play any more and actually, I wouldn't want her to play if she can't even try to play right or have fun. Stubborn and came from boring parents.

Old January 1st, 2018, 01:13 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
That's great Keglo! Baby steps, and then hopefully bigger variety of games she'll like and there you go My wife has zero competitiveness about her and won't even give a game a try. Well, she did try Dominion, Zombie Dice and Incan Gold a long time ago, but she put zero effort into even trying to play them well and sucked the fun out of them for us. So from then on, she won't play any more and actually, I wouldn't want her to play if she can't even try to play right or have fun. Stubborn and came from boring parents.

My wife actually does have competitiveness. I suspect that might be the reason that she doesnt like Pandemic. I don't think that cooperative is her thing. She needs to whoop up on someone.

I really do think that I will give Splendor a try sometime in the near future. Or should I go with Century Spice Road? I have heard it compared to Splendor many times. And for me, CSR looks and sounds more appealing. Do any of you have any experience with CSR? Which would you prefer? Splendor does have the advantage of being less expensive though.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:46 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post

My wife actually does have competitiveness. I suspect that might be the reason that she doesnt like Pandemic. I don't think that cooperative is her thing. She needs to whoop up on someone.

I really do think that I will give Splendor a try sometime in the near future. Or should I go with Century Spice Road? I have heard it compared to Splendor many times. And for me, CSR looks and sounds more appealing. Do any of you have any experience with CSR? Which would you prefer? Splendor does have the advantage of being less expensive though.
I've played Century Spice Road a couple times and like it. I may like it a little more than Splendor. Actually, last Thursday, I played Majesty: For the Realm, by the same designer of Splendor. I liked it a good bit too. Something else you might want to look into. Check out videos of that, Splendor and Century Spice Road and have your wife give input on what she'd prefer. While they are all different enough to have all of them in a collection for big time game collectors like several of my friends, if you are only going to get one for now, you should probably have your wife help make the choice

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games