Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers
Meet Other Scapers Find other scapers in your area

Old May 20th, 2007, 10:06 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
WE GOT A DISCUSSION! YEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!

KEEP IT UP GUYS THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. WE GOTTA HAMMER THOSE HEADS AGAINST EACH OTHER AND DECIDE ON GOOD CONCEPTS.

GOOOOO DISCUSSSIONN!!!!!!!!!!!

PERSONALLY, I PLAY SO MANY "NORMAL" GAMES I'M ALL FOR THE WEIRD STUFF. MY IDEA WAS A SORT OF "SWINGERS" PARTNERS GAME WHERE WE HAVE TO SWITCH PARTNERS EVERY ROUND. THE FORMAT COULD BE "NORMAL" OTHER THAN THAT.

I SEE A "NORMAL" TOURNAMENT" AS A VIABLE IDEA IF WE CAN GUARANTEEA MORE "GENERAL PUBLIC" ATTENDANCE. DOES TRU ALLOW ADVERTISEMENT? I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO PLACE A BUNCH OF WWW.HEROSCAPERS.COM STICKERS AT WALMART MS BOXES!

ANYWAY, I FEAR MOST OF THE TOURNEY CROWD PLAYS A BIT TOO MANY NORMAL GAMES TO WANT TO DRIVE A BUNCH OF MILES. BUT I CAN BE WRONG AND THAT'S WHAT DISCUSSION IS FOR.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:59 AM

ricksta2232 is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSpecT
Heres where I stand.

I'm with Finrod about the customs idea. I just don't see it working like you all want it to. It's a very interesting idea but it's to dynamic and requires skills that some of us either don't possess, or have time to conquer. It is a rather unique idea and has potential, but I think I'll be against the idea until more information is concrete and cleared up.

As for the Houston group needing to grow from what finrod said I think he is right and wrong. The custom idea wouldn't bring anybody new because of the stipulations. However, 16 people is plenty for a tournament and I remember when the group was pretty small until it seemed to expand quickly.

Actually the one idea that I think will happen in the future is a Houston Vs. Dallas Tournament. Wouldn't that be sweet? But of course this isn't an idea this is deemed likely to just happen sooner or later. And I'm only saying this for s***s and Giggles.
I agree, the idea is still in its primitive stages, and...I have to say, at first the idea of a custom tournament didn't thrill me. The more I thought about it, the more the idea began to marinate in my head. I still like a normal tournament more than anything, but I think it would be a blast to do it if we can iron out the wrinkles.

I have ideas for a tournament I'd like to host at Westbury Baptist. I've got software and would love to be a tournament organizer. I can guarantee that if my availability is right, we can do a similar deal to this weekend at WBC. ($10 per person plus a prize) Seeing all the time we had leftover, we might not be so harsh on the time limit at a tournament that I'd host.

I think the custom idea would be cool, if we can cultivate it the right way, which is why we need discussion. I've never painted a miniature, and Chuck and I discussed it liberally.

The vision of a tournament I want to host is a small and medium figures only, 400 point tournament. That's the idea I'm presently playing with.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Again, if the idea is to get new players involved, I think we'll have to let them use Grimnak and Charos and all the big dudes. I could be wrong, though.

Finrod, what format do you think would be most effective in growing our Houston community?

And, by the way, the Scout Hut looks pretty awesome, Chuckrock. Is it easily accessible? How many tables can we get inside?
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM

Chuckrock knows what's in an order marker Chuckrock knows what's in an order marker
Format

I have not found out the specifics for the scout hut. I think we could get 10 or so tables up. It might be crampt. I'll have to find out the availability and the actual amount of tables.

I agree that a Normal Official Tourney of 400 points would be the best for growing the Houston Community. My thought is, if they aren't on the website, why would they want to be part of the community?

Whatever we decide is fine, but I for one, will not be as excited for the Vanilla version.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
This is all just my opinion, of course. I have been known to be wrong... sometimes...

I'm also in discussion with a couple of people at my church for maybe doing one of these for teens only in our student building.

What I'd like to see is a larger tournament taking place in a community center or church or YMCA or something like that - a place that's large, easy to find and convenient to a wide area.

I'd like it to be a "normal" tournament with no restrictions on which units you can use. 400 or even 500 point armies.

I don't know for sure about all TRUs, but I know the one nearest me has a bulletin board in the entry hall. I've seen stuff advertised there before, and I think they'd welcome something that would encourage sales of their products. Game stores might actually be more difficult, since most of them don't carry Heroscape.

The prize table is an awesome idea, and I love it. But in a wider-appeal concept like this, it might be a deterrent. Perhaps only the core players (us) could bring prizes, and not require it from every attendee? Or if we have enough attendees, perhaps some of the cash could be used for prizes instead of pizza? (These are totally random thoughts in this paragraph.)

A Houston vs. Dallas tourney sometime in the future would be awesome.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM

Chuckrock knows what's in an order marker Chuckrock knows what's in an order marker
That is a Cool Idea

You know, that is a cool idea.

I'm glad you explained it. Based on what you are saying, I would go for two Events.

One an organized Event for Teens that would be in the size and scope of your explanations. It would definitely be good for the community and it would have to be at a church or community center as you mentioned. Upward Heroscape, if you will. I definitely agree with no Prizes and a low registration fee.

Second might be another format Specifically for heroscapers like the one Ricksta and I are contemplating. The Dallas guys would definitely dig a customs themed tourney, according to Doc.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM

ILoveKrug has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksta2232

I have ideas for a tournament I'd like to host at Westbury Baptist. I've got software and would love to be a tournament organizer. I can guarantee that if my availability is right, we can do a similar deal to this weekend at WBC. ($10 per person plus a prize) Seeing all the time we had leftover, we might not be so harsh on the time limit at a tournament that I'd host.
ricksta,

If you were to host the next tournament at the church, as a player, what would $10 buy me?

Thanks,
ILK
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:34 AM

Erasmas Woo who?
Not sure if any of you guys have done it before or not, but I think a two-man team tournament would be a blast. Do a combined total of 600 points (300 apiece) or something similar. You'd probably have to increase the round times a little, but playing with a partner adds a pretty neat angle to the game. It's more like... the French Vanilla version.

Erasmas' Wonderful World of Customs!
God save the 4th!!!

Xbox Live Account:
o Erasmas o
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM

My thoughts on a "customs" tourney:

1. Conducting a tournament that sets any sort of parameter, with the exception of maximum points allowed, will cause some people to not participate. In other words, the choice will have to be made: do we use the tourney to attract "new blood" or do we use it as an opportunity to showcase our custom-making abilities like a big show-and-tell among kids that have already been playing together all year?

2. Pros: 1. It would be fun to ooh and aah over some great ideas given substance by very creative people. 2. It's just different than any way we've played in Houston before.

3. Cons: 1. Some people (myself included) have no desire to create a custom and would therefore not play (see point 1). I could simply have someone create one for me, but where's the fun (or fairness) in that? 2. Customs have always made great and unique additions to the prize table. If people are creating customs to play, we would probably have a lot more store-bought prizes. 3. If all of the customs have to be voted on before they could be considered as entrants into the tournament, it really takes away from the ooh and aah factor at the tourney. 4. Do you REALLY want to vote to say that someone's custom won't be acceptable? There is a ton of gray area and no real way to set guidelines. Example: I love my husband dearly, but if he had tried to enter his custom "Lodin the Kyrie Warrior" into a customs tourney with the point value he assigned it, I would have voted 'No'. Now, we're married, and would work it out, but what would a situation like this do to friends? I just see a lot of pettiness ensuing. JMO. 5. There would really be no way to allow last-minute entrants into the tourney.

My 2 cents worth,
ILoveKrug
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmas
Not sure if any of you guys have done it before or not, but I think a two-man team tournament would be a blast. Do a combined total of 600 points (300 apiece) or something similar. You'd probably have to increase the round times a little, but playing with a partner adds a pretty neat angle to the game. It's more like... the French Vanilla version.
This was the concept for the last Dallas tournament and it was a BLAST! I do have to warn everyone, though, Jonathan and I took 2nd place
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:31 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Like I said, "swinging partners"!

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM

ProSpecT is surprisingly tart
Grab your partner round n' round. Doce Do!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers