Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:22 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Running: Get out and run...

NOTE: This is the Zombie referenced post in case you came to the OP first.

-----

I know we have some runners here on Scapers, and there was a 'get in shape' thread a while back, but I wanted to focus on runners/running.

Currently I'm training for the Baltimore Half Marathon (13.1 miles) in October. The race unfortunately is on the same weekend as NHSD this year, so since I'm going to miss NHSD, I need to overcompensate with the race.

So far so good. Each week when I go out for my long run I'm breaking a personal record as far as distance is concerned (before starting training this summer I had only ever gone 5 miles a handful of times).

Yesterday I did 7.5 miles in 68 minutes, which is a little over a 9 minute mile. I'm pretty happy with that as I'm ususally in the 8:45 range for longer distances (which used to be 5 miles for me), though I'm sure with each 1/2 mile I add each week my pace with ineviatbly go up (though I'm more preoccupied with finishing as opposed to my time at this point).

Next milestone is 8 miles, which I probably won't have a chance to attempt until next week since I'm going on vacation, and I'm participating in a 5K this weekend. Due to a knee issue I have to take 3 days off between runs, and with my short run scheduled for Thursday, and then the 5K on Sunday, it won't be until next Thursday that I get to try it.

I'll be back with an update then.

--

OK, so now what do you guys have going on? A race coming up, a self imposed challenge, or do you just run for fun?

My wife just did a triathalon two weekends ago... that was impressive. I'd love to give one a try but I'm not exaclty a strong swimmer. Though I have my eye on an event for next summer (so I have a year to learn).

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; May 1st, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Get out and run.

Seems like we have a lot in common. This year I have a personal goal to work up to 10 miles. At the end of June I did 7, and I want to do 8 in the next few days. I can consistently do 5 miles (best time is 48min), but I should probably be going farther distances to train.

There's a summer road race series in my town, which is 3.6 miles every Thursday night. My best has been in the 28min range.

Coincidentally, my dad did a triathlon 2 weeks ago. I'd like to do that at some point, but my swimming needs work and running is my focus this summer.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I'm always out of shape unless I have a hobby that forces me to exercise. I've never got into running, but I'm hoping to get into the habit of cycling. It's 6.5 hilly miles to and from work and my target is to use the bike more often than the car when the semester starts in September. I need to get started on the practising. Of course, the snow will come in October or November and stop it, but never mind.

Once the snow does hit, I enjoy snowshoeing. I've competed in a very low-key race each of the last six years, and won it a couple of times. I think the biggest field was 6 and it's been as low as 2 (it's mainly for cross-country skiers).
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Maybe we'll have a NHSD event here in Charm City for you, NYYS. You aren't leaving civilization, after all.

This is how I do my running:

No, that's not me.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:10 AM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Arp12, it does sound like we're on the same track. Of course I think I have 20 years on you, so I have an excuse if it doesn't pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
...but I'm hoping to get into the habit of cycling.
My wife borrowed a really nice road bike for the triathalon, made me want to go out and get one, then the $700 price tag stopped me in my tracks. I know I don't have to have that nice a bike, but after riding one like that it'll be hard to downgrade.

--

DaddyScaper, after watching some of those ultimate frisby videos that dok posted in another thread a while back, I really feel like I missed out on something back in college (and when I had the time). Looks like sooooooo much fun.

-insert signature here-
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:11 AM

argh, double post...

-insert signature here-
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Running and I have a difficult relationship. I have a hard time committing, as I've never run more than three miles straight (8 minute pace), but whenever I run I enjoy it, especially at school on the bluffs. The dirt up there is so soft and it feels great to run in barefoot while staring out at the Pacific Ocean.

And nyys, you definitely did miss out in college . I played on a recreational frisbee team and it was an absolute blast.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
And nyys, you definitely did miss out in college . I played on a recreational frisbee team and it was an absolute blast.
I'm not even sure there was a club on campus, though I think Ultimate Frisbee and College are synonymous, so I'm sure there was something. At least I got the campus softball league to go from 1 game a week to a 3 game a week schedule (so I was busy ).

</IMG>

-insert signature here-
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm joining the cross country team this fall for my school. I've been trying to run early in the morning but GenCon's just kept me out of it (nothing wrong with that!). But after GC and everything dies down I'll be on a strict workout schedule of running and Bartendaz workouts.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Running is for the birds. I can't tolerate running for exercise outside of something like sprint training for sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
My wife borrowed a really nice road bike for the triathalon, made me want to go out and get one, then the $700 price tag stopped me in my tracks. I know I don't have to have that nice a bike, but after riding one like that it'll be hard to downgrade.
$700 doesn't get you much bike. I got mine for about that much and it is just about bottom of the line (excluding Walmart bikes).
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
I'm not even sure there was a club on campus, though I think Ultimate Frisbee and College are synonymous, so I'm sure there was something. At least I got the campus softball league to go from 1 game a week to a 3 game a week schedule (so I was busy ).
Wow, three games a week! Some of my classes are only twice a week
My school has a club team which competes in wins national tournaments, and we also have intramural teams for fall and spring quarters.

Cleon, I worked out a ton the summer after my senior year. I pretty much only did free weights and I bulked up considerably. It really takes dedication though (for any workout)-in my experience an hour or hour and a half twice a week isn't going to give you noticeable results for awhile.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Running is for the birds. I can't tolerate running for exercise outside of something like sprint training for sports.

Quote:
$700 doesn't get you much bike. I got mine for about that much and it is just about bottom of the line (excluding Walmart bikes).
I can't tolerate it either unless I have my ipod, have to have the music playing or I can't do it.

As for the bike. The bike shop ower (who competes) was very impressed with the bike when we brought it in for a tune-up. We looked it up online to see what it cost, it's possible we found the wrong one.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General