Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 29th, 2008, 11:05 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: 3 & 4 Player Free For Alls at 300 Points Each

Whoops! My bad!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post
I don't think that this would be a good idea for an event like this, but has anyone thought of Nilfhiem of Zelrig?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLivingston View Post
Here are the rules:
1. Each army must contain at least 1 hero between 50 and 150 points (figures above 150 points are not allowed)
~Aldin, cut and pastingly

Curses! Beaten to the punch again!

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
Also, is Marvel allowed? Can you play Venom? If every opposing army is required to have a hero, he could be an excellent choice. Venom + Q10 is a scary 300-pointer to face.
I thought of that, too! I'm pretty sure Marvel (that is, Venom) is not allowed for this event.
Q10+Venom breaks the "minimum one squad" rule, anyway.
I know; I'm just saying he's a good figure in low point value games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
dok - I'm pretty sure Retchets and AE still count towards your starting zone spaces.
They do. I sent that question in and was really disappointed with the answer, but they do count.

More and more, I'm liking Kaemon Awa or Q10 in this format. Since you know every army will have heroes and squads, those two ranged special attacks of 4 dice are looking like a great thing to have. And in this tournament, you could be up against anywhere from one to three Cypriens! You're gonna want soulborgs. If opponents 1 and 2 bring Cyprien, and opponent 3 brings Omnicrons and Raelin, you're going to get destroyed.

Last edited by rdhight; October 29th, 2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added actual content
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have listed some armies that I would consider playing in this upcoming event (that haven't been listed already):

Kaemon Awa - 120
Syvarris - 100
Deathreavers x2 - 80

Kaemon Awa - 120
Krav - 100
Deathreavers x2 - 80

------

Kaemon Awa - 120
Marrden Hounds x2 - 180

Kee-Mo-Shi - 130
Marrden Hounds x2 - 180
(310 Points - all Utgar)

(like Matthias Maccabeus'... try to position K.Awa/Kee-Mo-Shi in start zone to avoid your own Marro Plague)

-----

Zombies x4 - 240
Shiori - 60

Zombies x4 - 240
Iskra - 50
Marcu - 20
(310 Points - all Utgar)

Zombies x3 - 180
Kaemon Awa - 120

----

Wo-Sa-Ga - 135
Raelin - 80
Marrden Nagrubs x2 - 60 (if eaten, no one gets the points)

Wo-Sa-Ga - 135
Marrden Nagrubs x4 - 120 (if eaten, no one gets the points)
Iskra - 50
(310 Points - all Utgar)

----

Marro Stingers x3 - 180
Raelin - 80
Deathreavers - 40

Marro Stingers x4 - 240
Iskra - 50
Marcu - 20
(310 Points - all Utgar)

Marro Stingers x3 - 180
Kaemon Awa - 120

----

Kaemon Awa - 120
Raelin - 80
Deathreavers x2 - 80
Marcu - 20

----

Marro Warriors - 50 (for clean-up with Viking Spirits)
Finn - 80
Eldgrim - 30
Knights of Weston x2 - 140

----

Major Q10 - 150
Raelin - 80
Marro Warriors - 50 (act as melee screen for Q10; try to use Marro Clone to keep numbers up in this fashion)
Marcu - 20

Major Q10 - 150
Deathreavers x2 - 80
Marro Warriors - 50

Major Q10 - 150
Warriors of Ashra x2 -100
Marro Warriors - 50

----

Major Q10 - 150
Laglor - 110
Deathreavers - 40

----

Agent Skahen - 120
Agent Carr - 100
Deathreavers x2 - 80

Agent Skahen - 120
Agent Carr - 100
Gorillinators - 90
(310 points - all Vydar)

Agent Skahen - 120
Gorillinators x2 - 180

Of the armies that have been listed in this thread, I think I prefer those armies that have ample survivability, in the form of Deathreavers (especially after your attackers die... becoming low-priority targets), Zombies, Cyprien (or even Iskra), and Marro Warriors. Tournament scoring favours those who last longer, by being eliminated later (or not at all) on a consistent basis, as opposed to those who kill more points (a tie-breaking measure).

In free-for-all games, politics are a big factor. If one player appears too strong, others will rally together to defeat them. Similarly, if a unit offers the potential of replenishment without being too difficult to kill, then they will be promptly teamed-up upon and erradicated (i.e. Marro Warriors). Other replenishment units are better choices because they will be too difficult to catch (i.e. Cyprien) or difficult to kill quickly enough (i.e. many Zombies).

Even though I have only listed two armies that include the Marrden Hounds, I feel these units bear special mention. In my experience, the Hounds rely too much upon an "all in" strategy to be ideal in a free-for-all setting. While the multiple activations and Marro Plague are *VERY* nice, I find that their strengths can actually hinder your ability to win the game as a whole, if not the battle. To use the Hounds optimally (IMHO), you should launch a Marrden Hounds assault in the opening round(s) of the game. In doing so, you will be forced to chose, practically, who you will eliminate/cripple in his/her own start-zone. This, in turn, will leave the other player(s) free to mop up. That is, I feel that the Marrden Hounds will present too great of an incentive to overcommit your forces at the start of the game. You may well kill more points than any other player (a score that is only useful in tie-breaking), but I doubt you will survive until the end of the game (the true scoring measure for this tournament's ranking). Having said all of this, the Marrden Hounds multiple activations are fantastic. On one hand, you get 3 attacks of 3. On another, you get the benefit of MANY d20 rolls for Marro Plague (once for each figure adjacent to any and all of your hounds). The latter enables you to attempt auto-wounds even while moving other Hounds into position. This will potentially even serve as a disincentive to opponents regarding engagement. Nonetheless, the Hounds will be severly limited when facing soulborg opponents. While I don't expect that many players will field Glads/Blasts based on the points restrictions, I do think that Deathreavers will be numerous, potentially limiting your ability to get the most out of your Hounds.

As others have said, I agree that the metagame for this tournament heavily favours the use of Cyprien (based on points, free-for-all Stealth Flying, and Life Drain). As such, the metagame value of Soulborgs in this format, especially a Soulborg hero, will be significant. Nonetheless, point restrictions make fielding such an army difficult, without the end result feeling too much like a one-trick pony.

This tournament sounds like a very fun event, and I predict that the winner will be the one who manages to best deal with the politics of a free-for-all game, rather than having selected the strictly superior army. Best of luck to all who will be playing!

Last edited by mccombju; October 30th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:28 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Nice summary mccombju.

I see you prefer Iskra, even without the rechets, over Me-Burq-Sa. Your Iskra+Marcu+Stingersx4 army is the absolute optimum army in the sense of spreading one's points evenly. You have 1 50-point (minimum by the rules) hero, and then 13 20-point figures, for a total of 310, filling the 14 spaces. It also seems like an awfully effective army. Somebody's going to play that.

I think Syvarris is risky in this format - not only is he seen as a threat, but those 100 points seem pretty juicy when backed by a 2 defense. He'll have a big target on his back. Kaemon Awa makes more sense, although counterstrike is probably not as valuable as usual in this range-heavy format.

Using Wo-Sa-Ga and grubs in this format, where virtually every opponent is vulnerable to coil crush, is pretty clever. I doubt you could win the tourney with a WSG build, as it requires agressive play and you make yourself a target. But it's an awfully cool approach. I don't like the Raelin build because keeping Raelin and WSG together will be more trouble than it's worth. Your second build makes more sense, but you lose a grub at the start (back to 300 points), and the lack of range is worrying. One other similar option would be to drop 6 grubs for Marro Warriors and Isamu:

135 Wo-Sa-Ga
60 grubs x2
50 MW
50 Iskra
10 Isamu

With this army, you have the option of leading out with Iskra, Isamu, and the warriors, and switching to the big fella after things get thinned out.

I agree with your assesment of the Q10 builds feeling like one trick ponies. The three non-Laglor builds do seem playable, though.
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice suggestions, dok.

I agree that Syvarris is too frail to be effective on his own.

In the army I proposed, I envision Syvarris and Kaemon Awa acting as a one-two punch (each with double attacks of 3 or 4). Both would hide behind the Deathreaver screen (Syvarris as far back as possible), and Kaemon would engage anything that gets through.

This would likely work against non-disengage and non-stealth flying opponents. Given the metagame dominance of Cyprien Essenwein, Syvarris is an especially poor choice. However, by that rationale, there aren't a lot of other all around good options as I see it (Q10 being limited by his modest life and the limited supporting cast he can afford based on his points).

A Wo-Sa-Ga variant that hates on Cyprien would be:

Wo-Sa-Ga - 135
Warden 816 - 90 (boosting the Nagrubs speed to 7 move; good end-game hero immune to chilling touch)
Marrden Nagrubs x2 - 60
Marcu - 20
(305 points - all Utgar)

(you could try activating Marcu in the early game to get him out into the fray, and do so by surrounding Wo-Sa-Ga with Warden 816 and 5 Nagrubs in your starting zone)

Other armies that benefit from bonding and high-life heroes (for Cyprien hating) are as follows:

Ne-Gok-Sa - 90 (high life and defense)
Marcus Decimus Gallus - 100
Roman Legionnaries x2 - 100

Sir Gilbert - 105 (high life)
Tarn Vikings - 50
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccombju View Post
As others have said, I agree that the metagame for this tournament heavily favours the use of Cyprien (based on points, free-for-all Stealth Flying, and Life Drain). As such, the metagame value of Soulborgs in this format, especially a Soulborg hero, will be significant. Nonetheless, point restrictions make fielding such an army difficult, without the end result feeling too much like a one-trick pony.
One possibilty here would be:
Zetacron
2xDeathstalkers
1xDeathreavers

Rats run interference, pups maul the unwary and Zeta plinks from afar. I just played in a tourney with an essentially all soulborg army and it did very well against Cyprien.

~Aldin, assimilatedly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:09 PM

2xHero knows what's in an order marker 2xHero knows what's in an order marker

I had to browse through this quickly (so I can get to class on time,) but I didn't see anyone suggest shaolin monks.

Master Woo 140
2x Shaolin monks 160 (300)
I played against monks and Woo in a free-for-all and their shaolin assault is much more useful. I used knights and was battling einar imperium, and the shaolin monks were able to destroy knights and imperium alike. Also, their stealth leap is much quite useable to get to height and engage or disengage multiple targets.
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM

(Double-post)

Last edited by mccombju; October 30th, 2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccombju View Post
One possibilty here would be:
Zetacron
2xDeathstalkers
1xDeathreavers

Rats run interference, pups maul the unwary and Zeta plinks from afar. I just played in a tourney with an essentially all soulborg army and it did very well against Cyprien.

~Aldin, assimilatedly
I completely forgot about Zetacron...

Aldin, I really love your use of Zetacron in an all-soulborg army, but you have exceeded the 14 hex limit by 4.

Zetacron variants of your soulborg army might include:

Zetacron - 60
Gladiatrons x2 - 160
Blastatrons - 60
(only 280 points, but fills up 14 hexes)

Zetacron - 60
Major X17 - 100
Gladiatrons - 80
Blastatrons - 60

Zetacron - 60
Krav - 100
Gladiatrons - 80
Blastatrons - 60

----

A workable *almost* all soulborg Zetacron and Q10 army:

Zetacron - 60
Major Q10 - 150
Deathreavers x2 - 80
Isamu - 10

----

Further, jumping on the Zetacron bandwagon we have:

Zetacron - 60
Zombies x4 - 240

Zetacron - 60
Marro Stingers x4 - 240

Zetacron - 60 (recipient of viking spirits)
Finn - 80
Eldgrim - 30
(310 points - all Jandar)

Last edited by mccombju; October 30th, 2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

My two:
  • Krav 100
  • Tarn 50
  • MWs 50
  • DED 60
  • Marcu 20
  • Isamu 10
290 pts 14 hex
  • Krav 100
  • Izumi 60
  • MWs 50
  • Zetacron 60
  • Isamu 10
  • Marcu 20
300 pts 14 hexes

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 31st, 2008, 05:21 PM

2xHero knows what's in an order marker 2xHero knows what's in an order marker

I came up with some more!

2x Marrden hounds 180
Deathwalker 8000 130 (310)
13 starting spaces
The Marrden hounds roam and spread the plague while Deathwalker uses rapid fire against what hounds can't handle.

2x Omnicron snipers 200
Sgt. Drake RotV 110 (310)
7 starting spaces
Omnicron snipers are immune to chilling touch and can do a lot of damage from height. Sgt. Drake is immune to ranged attacks and can do a lot of damage in a single hit.

2x Minions 220
Ne-Gok-Sa 90 (310)
7 starting spaces
Basically, this is a high defense army. Minions are susceptible to chilling touch, but can do a lot of damage in retaliation. Ne-Gok-Sa is there for what he does best : tanking and frightening heroes.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion