Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Army help needed.

So I'll be attending an upcoming 600 point tourny. I've never built and army that large for a tourny, and I am stuck between a few choices.
So, I ask for your opinions, thoughts, feedback, and what-have-you.

Here are the options:

Army 1
Carr
Laglor
Nakita Agents
G'nators x3

Army 2
Glads x3
Blasts x3
Q9

Army 3
Zelrig
Braxas
Nilfheim

So which would you choose and why. I have multiples of pretty much everything, if you want to suggest changes. Wave 9 will be out by the time this tourny takes place, and I do have sets on pre-order.

Thanks for your help.

72 tournaments. 173 - 142 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.

My goal, play every official 'scape unit in a tournament at least once. 149 down, 55 to go!
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Army help needed.

I like Army 2, but Q9 is redundant. Go with Raelin/X17 instead for extra defense and a fig that can handle Larges without losing any more figs than you already are (24 hex limit, I assume).

~Aldin, also assuming the tourney is pre-wave 9

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Andrew is surprisingly tart

I would go with army 3. I think army 2 would probably be the most competitive, but army 3 just looks so fun to play.

Old June 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I like Army 2, but Q9 is redundant. Go with Raelin/X17 instead for extra defense and a fig that can handle Larges without losing any more figs than you already are (24 hex limit, I assume).

~Aldin, also assuming the tourney is pre-wave 9
Actually a 30 hex limit, and it will be post wave 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I would go with army 3. I think army 2 would probably be the most competitive, but army 3 just looks so fun to play.
Thats what I'm thinking. 3 Dragons = Fun

My goal, play every official 'scape unit in a tournament at least once. 149 down, 55 to go!
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Wave 9 will be out by the time this tourny takes place, and I do have sets on pre-order.
Apparently I wasn't paying very good attention

Army 3 should be fun. I'd be frightened to try Army 2 in the immediate aftermath of the Wave 9 release - too many Repulsors likely to be wandering around.

But Army 1... I think the NA and G'Nators may do well in the near future - expecially if you have something to hunt large heroes with special attacks... perhaps the Dwarves?

Nakitas 120
2xG'Nator 180
Migol 110
2xDwarves 140

18 figs with 50 points left for either the Tarn or Marro Warriors for cleanup.

~Aldin, who suspects his advice isn't going to be particularly good until he's played Wave 9 some more (I've proxied a bit)

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:14 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I don't think Q9 is redundant in army 2. You dispatch him early to take on rats or 4th/10th, or you save him for cleanup.

That said, with 30 hexes I prefer going super-horde style:

320 Gladiatrons x4
180 Blastarons x3
80 Raelin RotV
20 Marcu
600, 30 hexes

As Aldin said, though, repulsors are scary. So is 4thx7 + Drake.

Zelrig/Braxas/Nilfheim leaves you 20 points for Marcu. Personally, that army wouldn't be very fun to play (I like moving lots of figures) but whatever floats your boat.
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like army 2 the best. I would consider swapping out the 3rd squad of Blastatrons for an extra squad of Gladiatrons. You would also have to swap out Q9 for Q10 and Isamu. That would give you:

Glads x 4 320
Blasts x2 120
Isamu 10
Q10 150
total 600, 27 hexes

You still have to worry about the Repulsors, but how many armies will actually use them?
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

I like soldier armies with bonding so I'd go with
2x legos
2x 10th
Marcus
Ngs
2x wolves of badru
600/26

I like this army for your situation because you have a multi-screen with legos and 10th (some 10th could be on the side fire with marcus' enhancement) with ngs holding glyphs or heavy hitters and the wolves go out and pounce on support. Of course if you don't like this army I'd go with army 1 or 2 (1 imho would be the most fun to play and IMHO with 3 you'd just get destroyed great specials or not.
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Andrew is surprisingly tart

Stingers x 10?

It works out so perfectly for 600 points and 30 hexes.

Old June 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Stingers x 10?

It works out so perfectly for 600 points and 30 hexes.
Yes, but Zelrig would be a real threat. I don't think all those stingers could be moved fast enough to not be BBQed. Besides I only own 6 squads.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion