Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Good to know, Dok, thanks.
Instead of always calling it "the Mattser army," when I made the tier thread I called it Vydar Range because that's what Mattser usually called it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I Guess the 10th versus 4th question is based on the army.

1. Strait 10th vs. 4th
2. 10th/minions vs. 4th/sentianls
3. Romans/MDG/10th vs. Sir Gil/KoW/4th

In all 3 match ups the 4th would be victorious when played by player of equall skill. Even though I favor the 10th, I expect the 4th to be a tad higher rated.
The HTH matchups are not especially relevant, really. What matters is what armies people bring to tournaments, and what armies involving the 4th and 10th are good matchups against them. So "can 10th beat 4th and Sentinels?" is only as relevant as "can 10th beat heavy gruts or Vydar range?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
2. 10th are very similar to the 4th, but slightly better against melee, while quite a bit worse against other ranged armies.
They're not worse against other ranged armies when Q9 and Raelin are standing next to them. I guess people will start talking about it when somebody goes to one of the more competitive events with Q9+Raelin+10thx3 and rocks a Heavy Grut army. The metagame is asking for this army.

I think the 10th are the best common ranged squad to pair with Q9. They're better than stingers because they cover the bad Q9 matchups better than stingers do. They're better than 'trons unless you are at 620+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Clerics in D&D are not adept at fighting.

Online Heroscape!
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I think the 10th are the best common ranged squad to pair with Q9. They're better than stingers because they cover the bad Q9 matchups better than stingers do. They're better than 'trons unless you are at 620+.
They also have better functionality with Raelin than the Stingers do. I've been kicking that army around quite a bit. I almost played it at NOHSD at 535 points with the Marro Warriors, but went the "fun" route instead.

I could even see something like this at 510 (very similar to southwest ninja's 08 GenCon 3rd place army):

Q9 - 180
Raelin - 260
Krav - 360
10th x2 - 510

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I really dig these rankings. To me, Deathreavers are the best unit and then Raelin. The A tier is made up of the rest of the elite units that make up or are in winning tournament armies of the current metagame. Great!

Concan is well deserved for the A- tier. He's killer as an ending unit within valiant Mass armies; he just adds so much extra in that army situation for 80pt.
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattserTruckRally View Post
It is debatable that Raelin or Thogrim could serve as a better compliment to the 4th Mass then Concan as well.
For 500 points of valiant, I think it really does come down to 6x Mass and one of the above (if not 4x/Charos). I've been close to using Raelin, but I think Concan is the better choice mostly because of those first few turns. With Concan, you can just go nuts with Mass all game. With Raelin or Thorgrim, you need to put the first one or two markers on either of them to make them worth considering over Concan. If you end up using Concan, you're likely going to lose the game anyway, but I think there are times where he can serve cleanup well enough to win a close game.
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

Concan is the Scottie Pippen of Heroscape.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; December 14th, 2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: I hate analogies, but I just couldn't let this one go when I was thinking about it on my drive home from work today.
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
A bit of a crybaby, huh? (Pistons fan here. )

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Quote:
A bit of a crybaby, huh? (Pistons fan here. )
He receives agricultural subsidies? (Economics nerd here.)
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Dang! Just looked at these, and there is nothing in the A+ section except for rats and Raelin. I know Isamu deserves to get the boot, because I have not liked him since the beginning. But to see Q9 and the 4th. Mass bite the bullet (lol) is quite intriguing. Time to start forming some new armies.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." ~Albert Einstein

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I disagree. Pippen was great in his own right, and made everyone around him better. Neither of those things are true of Concan.

Staying in Chicago, though: Concan is the Jon Paxson of Heroscape. Decent role player, had his moments backing up a great player, but unremarkable on his own merits.

Concan can't even be the Steve Kerr of Heroscape, because Kerr won a championship with the Spurs, too, but Concan is only championship-caliber in one army.

(Basketball nerd here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Clerics in D&D are not adept at fighting.

Online Heroscape!

Last edited by dok; December 15th, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

I thought about Paxson too, but he's spent time more recently on the managing side of things too. What about Horace Grant?

Quote:
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
I thought about Paxson too, but he's spent time more recently on the managing side of things too. What about Horace Grant?
I might go as far as to call him the B.J. Armstrong of Heroscape.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion