Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings

Just got caught up. All good moves and non-moves, Jexik. Looking over the full list, I don't disagree on too much:

I'd move Braxas and Gladiatrons down. The former is just too fragile and fickle and the latter only shines when paired with Blasts. Spartacus' stock is certainly up but I think he's a bit high too since his cost is so exorbitant.

I like Isamu at A+, FWIW. For 10 points, he's automatic. I'd still take Marcu at 20, but the ninja's potential makes him gold.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
worthless thread clother

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rˇchean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rˇchean View Post
I will just go back to lurking the thread...
No you don't As the person who has played more competitive Scape than anyone in the world, your perspective has always added to my thoughts on the units and rankings. I'm sure Jexik appreciates the same.

FWIW, I don't see Gilbert as an A+ either, but I can see Isamu at either ranking. But then again, I do play Trons a lot, and both of those units tend to get owned by Trons
Yes, but I never offered you much either. I have an analytical side to me, a stats and numbers part of me, but I am very much a touch and feel person as well. Most opinions I have on any unit is based on my experiences and feelings associated with those experiences. Many times I don't know why, I just know it to be that way for me, if that makes sense. Anyhow, that wasn't a "taking my ball and going home" post because I don't think I was ever really playing this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Yep. I value your opinion a lot, Ry.
I appreciate it but I feel like I am never able to adequately quantify, justify, or specify what it is that makes me have the opinion. As I said, debating it isn't my thing and never has been. I just know what I know.

However, I will give it a shot:

Of course my view on Isamu is based on my experiences and I can't recall a single time where having Isamu in my army won me a tournament game. However, I have only played him 3 times in 38 events; I just donít like the concept of needing filler units and I try to avoid them in most of my builds.

Conversely, I can't recall as single tournament game where I was facing an army with Isamu in it and he came back for the improbable win. I have seen what he is capable of and have been on the giving and receiving end of it, I just haven't seen it much in my tournament games. My most recent tournament experience against Isamu came on Sunday where I first shot killed him to complete my win.

Isamu is great, amazing and altogether awesome, but I donít want him in my army if I can avoid it. On the other side, I have more respect for late game Marcu than I have for late game Isamu. 6 Lives with Flying 7 and Life Drain is more formidable than a single life unit that relies on the D20.
My experience with Marcu is singular: 2 betrayals in the first 2 turns of "glyph grabbing". I also dislike "filler", and avoid it if I can. In the tournament series I am currently playing, a finite pool and varying point totals required units like Isamu and Eldgrim to avoid loosing points.

On another note, referencing your attitude towards debate, putting together a competitive army that is also interesting to play (with some less than A+ units, the sum of the parts being greater than the whole), and then playing well, is more than a mechanical exercise; it is an art, and is ultimately subjective and beyond the bounds of mere stats.

David

Next Generation

Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well, there's that one time Isamu killed my two squads of monks!

I agree, anytime I activate Isamu, it usuallym eans I ahve already lost the game. So, he's great, but not an A+. neither is Gilbert. to me am A+ figure has to work in many situations and Gilbert is more limited in scope than the other A+ units.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

New controversy:
Migol should be a C.

He's a good glyph holder, but expensive at that role and hardly ever kills his points. Also, he makes his bonded squad actually worse.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Since when can a filler unit not be A+? If they release a 10pt. figure that is has 10 attack and 10 defense with decent move (assuming it's abilities are not huge set backs), it's A+. I am not saying Isamu is that broken compared to the others and in general, I'm just pointing out that any figure type can be A+ in my opinion.

Isamu A+? Nice move Jexik.

But I still think Stingers are A+. To me, 4th > 10th, 4th ~ Stingers (meaning I think they're really close, but 4th leading; ~ = approx. equal), Stingers > 10th. And I'm one who absolutely thinks there are imaginary tiers within each grade, simply meaning if units are in the same grade it doesn't mean they are all equal. There is a general top to bottom. I wouldn't go as far to specifically rank them even further than their letter grade, but I think it is open to decide that a unit can be one of the better (i.e.) B+'s, or one of the lower B+'s. However, I still don't feel the 10th should be in the same letter grade as the Stingers, or Mass. The metagame (and begs ) boosted the 10th up to A (and other melee adjusted, etc. units up), and I'm fine with it, but to me it didn't change the A+ category enough to degrade a unit. Just my thoughts on that...and the other rankings look good.

Last edited by Cleon; October 22nd, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

A 10 point figure that good is a figure you build around, though, not a filler.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
But I still think Stingers are A+. To me, 4th > 10th, 4th ~ Stingers (meaning I think they're really close, but 4th leading; ~ = approx. equal), Stingers > 10th
However, I still don't feel the 10th should be in the same letter grade as the Stingers, or Mass.
Music to my ears
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM

Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby!

Can someone explain to me what makes the 4th so good? I always seem to get 4 attacks of 2, and they never kill anything with that. If your army is mostly composed of them, and I can't get them to kill much, I don't see why they are good. If I try to get height, then I only have around one squad there, making losses costly. What am I missing?

Quote:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
Can someone explain to me what makes the 4th so good? I always seem to get 4 attacks of 2, and they never kill anything with that. If your army is mostly composed of them, and I can't get them to kill much, I don't see why they are good. If I try to get height, then I only have around one squad there, making losses costly. What am I missing?
I guess it's just 4 attacks of 3, most likely. Plus, 3 defense is not bad. A 3-3 squad is similar to most 70 point squads, plus they have range. I think they only dominate when they are with Gilbert, otherwise I use the 10th.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth Rˇchean is a man of the cloth

Bonecrusher, read up in these threads; they should shed some light for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel View Post

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
4 attacks of 2 usually won't do too much, but you can often get some kind of bonus from them. WTF, glyphs, height, there's usually some way to boost their attack. And even if not, the sheer numbers of the 4th Mass will eventually make your opponent whiff. Playing them in an all-valiant army is close to necessary (unless you have suicide figures like AE, Zelrig, etc.) as well. Play with 4 or more squads of and you'll see their true power. At the same time, their biggest weakness (by far) is the lack of a solid multi-attacking valiant hero (think Kaemon, Q10, Q9). If the 4th had that, they'd be insane.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'd keep the Stingers at A+. To me, they are still the best answer to the question, "How do I deal with Q9?". They work well with a wide variety of armies and are easy to fit into an army at multiples of 60.

I don't know if Isamu is A or A+. I would argue that if Isamu is A+ because he is the best 10 point filler, Marcu should be A+ because he is the best 20 point filler.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion