Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:49 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Kickstarter: What game(s) are you currently Kickstarting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I agree JB.

I don't have a smart phone or tablet yet, I can see how the player aid apps can be useful, while not taking over the board game feel. But I totally stay away from looking at games that have the tech integrated into them, well because I don't have the tech to go with them, but I would more than likely be adverse to them even if I had the tech. While I like video games, I don't ever play them online because I either play them solo or want to enjoy the company of those I'm playing with (my kids). I like board games because I enjoy the human element of it and don't want to feel like I'm playing a video game with a board.

As far as the glitch issues, a guy in my group had gotten that Golem Arcana and had some issues with something not reading something or other. He eventually got it worked out, but it seems like it could lead to issues where the tech can hinder the playability of the game at some point and make it useless.

The one thing I guess I don't like about the phone/tablet versions of games, is that when people play those games on their phone so much, they may be less likely to want to actually play the board game version of it if you ask. Though I can see the benefit of them for people that can't always find people to game with in person, or if they travel or want a quick game during lunch etc.
I was just looking at Golem Arcana this afternoon on BGG! While I think the concept is very cool, I don't get the appeal. What's the point of these painted minis and mapboard tiles if everything is already on the tablet. It feels very redundant. Why not just play the game on a pad?

Another reason I'm not of fan of the app trend, and a reason why I've never enjoyed computer war games as much as board war games
is that I actually like doing the work; checking line of sight, adding in terrain factors, counting movement costs, calculating the combat odds, looking up results on a CRT. It helps me understand the game better. While computer games may be convenient in that they handle all the bookkeeping and doo all the work behind the scenes, this fact always leaves me feeling a bit disconnected from the game. Now there are some computer games where this worked great and I loved playing (Civilization is the biggest one that comes to mind). But I usually find that having to "do the math" actually helps me play the game better.

So watching how in GA you click on your Golem card, select the "walk" action, and the map shows you where you can move - that just feels strange to me. Why not just have the app tell me the best position to move to?

But I'm probably just on my way to becoming a grumpy old man. Don't get me started about how much I miss car windows that you just rolled down manually and televisions that had all the buttons you needed ON the TV itself. The only reason I use a remote control is because they now FORCE you to use one since half the functions can only be accessed by the remote.

And GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I agree JB.

I don't have a smart phone or tablet yet, I can see how the player aid apps can be useful, while not taking over the board game feel. But I totally stay away from looking at games that have the tech integrated into them, well because I don't have the tech to go with them, but I would more than likely be adverse to them even if I had the tech. While I like video games, I don't ever play them online because I either play them solo or want to enjoy the company of those I'm playing with (my kids). I like board games because I enjoy the human element of it and don't want to feel like I'm playing a video game with a board.

As far as the glitch issues, a guy in my group had gotten that Golem Arcana and had some issues with something not reading something or other. He eventually got it worked out, but it seems like it could lead to issues where the tech can hinder the playability of the game at some point and make it useless.

The one thing I guess I don't like about the phone/tablet versions of games, is that when people play those games on their phone so much, they may be less likely to want to actually play the board game version of it if you ask. Though I can see the benefit of them for people that can't always find people to game with in person, or if they travel or want a quick game during lunch etc.
I was just looking at Golem Arcana this afternoon on BGG! While I think the concept is very cool, I don't get the appeal. What's the point of these painted minis and mapboard tiles if everything is already on the tablet. It feels very redundant. Why not just play the game on a pad?

Another reason I'm not of fan of the app trend, and a reason why I've never enjoyed computer war games as much as board war games
is that I actually like doing the work; checking line of sight, adding in terrain factors, counting movement costs, calculating the combat odds, looking up results on a CRT. It helps me understand the game better. While computer games may be convenient in that they handle all the bookkeeping and doo all the work behind the scenes, this fact always leaves me feeling a bit disconnected from the game. Now there are some computer games where this worked great and I loved playing (Civilization is the biggest one that comes to mind). But I usually find that having to "do the math" actually helps me play the game better.

So watching how in GA you click on your Golem card, select the "walk" action, and the map shows you where you can move - that just feels strange to me. Why not just have the app tell me the best position to move to?

But I'm probably just on my way to becoming a grumpy old man. Don't get me started about how much I miss car windows that you just rolled down manually and televisions that had all the buttons you needed ON the TV itself. The only reason I use a remote control is because they now FORCE you to use one since half the functions can only be accessed by the remote.

And GET OFF MY LAWN!

Right there with you sir.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:04 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Interesting.

Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:54 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Nice find G-O.

When watching that video I knew there was something familiar about the tiles, other than the HS hex look. The grass/trees/bushes type ones had the same look as the larger square tiles that Sergeants Miniatures Game uses, and looked to be made of the same material.

So I went to the KS page and low and behold the one running the campaign is Debbie Billings, wife of Jeff Billings, the designer of Sergeant's Miniatures Game and owner of Lost Battalion Games. They do everything in house and have the laser cutters to do all that stuff. The material for those terrain pieces is good quality for sure.

I guess it makes sense for them to re-use the art from Sergeants for much of this (other than the space and jungle type themes.

Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:31 PM

JacksonPerl is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Another forum member recommended I post this here. I apologize if this is not the place to post this. A friend of mine is running a Kickstarter campaign for custom engraved dice. If anyone is interested in need of personalized dice made here's a link to their KS...

They do excellent work.
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:25 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

There are only 60 hours to go on my very first funded Kickstarter offering:

AGE OF CONAN: Adventures In Hyboria

They were funded in 75 minutes! The original designers have been very successful in games like War Of The Ring and Battle of Five Armies. AOC is being resurrected by Ares Games, who have made a deal with FFG and have their back stock to sell, so that if you don't have the original game like I do, you can get it along with the new expansion. And the original game can still be found here and there at low prices.

This is a good game, which is undergoing something of a revival on bgg, and that has encouraged the designers to go back to it again! Their original studio had collapsed, which ended development at the time if the game's publication. I had taken it back down from the shelf last year, and discovered the revival by coincidence, so this new development is pretty exciting for me!

Many additional stretch goals have been reached, with a few more still awaiting...

If all goes well, a Second Expansion will follow, being the ideas the designers had back when the game was first published, including an expansion to the board allowing 5-6 players, etc.

Check it out if you see this while there is still time!
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Omen:Reign of War, the "Omega Edition."
"Hemloch" is now unlocked as an add-on. Those are Small Box's two most highly regarded games, both available at this KickStarter. Not expensive, either.

I'm not going to be adding Hemloch myself, mostly because I still haven't played Draco Magi and we haven't played Romance of the Nine Empires in too long, but Hemloch is very highly regarded and difficult to find. So those who were looking (whether they knew it or not), now's the time!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Prickly Cactus

I'll likely be adding Hemloch to my Omen KS.

Old November 8th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I own the original Hemloch, released when Small Box used to have preorder windows every few months (yes, I was into it before it was cool ), but I'll probably add this to my order just because I want to see the game and the company continue to grow.
Old November 8th, 2014, 03:59 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'm in for both.

~Aldin, still having fun with his last Kickstarter - Draco Magi

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Finally got shipping confirmation on 37lbs of Shadows of Brimstone goodness.

Currently backing a few games, but the one I am most excited about, Soccer City, is going to be cutting it close on funding.

EDIT: Just found this cross between Scrabble and Othello that looks nice.

Last edited by Gurei-Ornery; November 13th, 2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old November 14th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games