Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 13th, 2016, 12:16 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: FeedBack and thank you's for 2016

Sick to see everyone again this year, it's such a cool experience to play our beloved game competitively and casually and hangout all weekend together, once every year. Too many friends to list and I don't want to forget anyone, so just want to say thank you to all who I played and all of my friends (old and new) for being awesome.

And, as always, a big thank you to fomox and the whole TO crew for organizing and running it! And a big congrats to ISB3 for taking the championship this year, and nicktheant for placing 2nd! Congrats to the winners of all the other events, and all top 16 day 2 players.

Some feedback...

More dice was really cool; the prize pool is growing more and more difficult to provide each year, it's awesome you guys still put the effort toward making those special dice.

The Flex tournament was a great way to start the weekend and get warmed up.

The maps were pretty good as a whole this year. The only bad map was Wendigo, and I know a lot of others expressed their similar opinions on it. Fortunately I only played on it once all weekend, otherwise I'd probably raise a larger complaint about it. I don't like Vestige all that much as a map, but it's still very playable. The others were fine, mostly very good and balanced.

The glyph pool was good, no complaints. I'd like to see some treasure glyphs on a map or two next year, but it's not a big deal.

The only complaint I really have is that only Top 2 for the Main Event got prizes this year. I was surprised to place third with dok and not get anything. I wasn't very upset as I got dice from Monster Mash thursday. But still was kinda like, huh?. I feel like Top 8 should receive some kind of prize. Especially if all 6 general winners are getting something for General Wars.

But all in all it was a blast!

Last edited by Cleon; August 13th, 2016 at 01:40 AM.
Old August 17th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
I almost forgot a shoutout to this community. My anxiety was definitely giving me fits about how accepting people might be about my preferred gender pronouns, but everyone was absolutely fantastic and laid all that to rest. Thanks again for being such a wonderful and safe community.

~Dysole, so glad she's a part of this community
Dysole, in my over 50 years on this earth, I've found that it's the person on the inside that matters and not how they look or what they call themselves. The person you are on the inside is good, so I'm happy you're part of the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
I GMed the Main Event this year along with the always-happy-to-see-him [MENTION=109]Retlaw[/MENTION]. For this post, I'm going to concentrate mostly on that event.
Quote:
Event Description: Damnation Alley. This event is open to all players. 8 man heats. This is a single elimination event. Players bring their own 450-point pre-made army, Army Cards, dice, Order Markers, Wound Markers, and any special tokens required. 24 hex start zones. Glyphs will be announced prior to the event. No Marvel units allowed. New Alleys beginning approximately every 60 minutes during scheduled event time. Last heat starts at 5pm each day. Top player in each heat receives a prize.

GBob's description of how it works. You buy a ticket to Damnation alley. We will start a new 8 man mini tourney every hour that day starting with the 11 am one. Every hour after the first, we will gather eight more ticketed players and send them through the alley. The eight players will be seated at the first 4 maps and immediately start playing. The 4 winners from that round will move down to the next set of maps (there will be 7 total), while we seat an additional group of 8 players. The day will proceed like this with each group of winners advancing down the table to the next set of maps.... That is the Damnation Alley. So feel free to buy a ticket and show up whenever, but remember that it is first come first serve, and that we take named tickets in priority over generics. We will likely have a sign up sheet going each day so you can reserve a spot.
Thanks Xorlof - I enjoyed GMing the Main Event with you as well.

I ran the "Damnation Alley" way back when. As described, it was an eight person game, single elimination (round 1 - 8 players, round 2 - 4 players, round 3 - 2 players), one hour time limit per round. It was also called "win a wave" as the winner received a full wave (I think it was either wave 4 or 5 or 6, but not sure - nice when we had Hasbro price support). One year you also received an "Agent Skahen" for playing (didn't have to be the winner, just play).

Side note: running "Damnation Alley" is how I got my Heroscapers title. After the second day of running it, I made some comment about being the "Ruler of Damnation Alley" and GrungeBob made me "Ruler of the Damned".
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I will not go into how I got my Heroscape Title, hehe

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:35 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

I wonder if there would be better consensus on the full vs. partial card scoring if we broke it down into separate categories of Heroes and Squads. Heroes is where I see the dispute. I read some of R˙chean's comments about Krug with 1 life left being perhaps more valuable. The same could be said for Alistair MacDirk when working with MacDirk Warriors.

However, can we all agree that when it comes to squad figures, that a partial squad is not worth the full card score? I can't think of one instance where 1 figure in a squad would be worth its full score on the battlefield. I had Elite Onyx Vipers in Uniques Only and twice my opponent went out of their way to take out the last remaining figure holding down a glyph on the outside. That's the way I used them primarily, was send them out early and hold down glyphs. Let's face it, a partial squad moves less, attacks less, and demonstrates measurable work that has been done by the opponent to take out figures.

Thoughts?

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old August 19th, 2016, 07:17 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Pros and Cons

The existence of Krug, Evar Scarcarver, and Alastair with MacDirks makes partial card scoring less likely to reflect power level at the end of the game. On the flip side though, Hydras (and arguably figures with 1 shield defense with 1 life) make full card scoring less likely to reflect power level at the end of the game.

Full card scoring encourages you to kill the highest point thing. Partial card scoring encourages you to kill the thing with the highest wound to point ratio. (assuming again that it's not a poor move)

Full card scoring slightly encourages heroes more but also encourages things like Mezzodemons.

I think partial card scoring is more reflective of the final game state and also less likely to produce perverse incentives. That's just my thoughts.

~Dysole, breaking it down
Old October 19th, 2016, 09:57 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I would for sure like to see at least one draft format (pooled draft, take 2, reverse draft, pod draft, whatever).

It would also be cool to see a really weird format in the list. @kevindola has tons of ideas for non-draft alternative fornats, e.g. before the game, each player gets to take one of their opponent's army cards and all figures that go with it.
@kevindola 's battle report from a pod draft event at a recent local tournament is pretty cool. Check out the figures brought!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 20th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mailman View Post
I wonder if there would be better consensus on the full vs. partial card scoring if we broke it down into separate categories of Heroes and Squads. Heroes is where I see the dispute. I read some of R˙chean's comments about Krug with 1 life left being perhaps more valuable. The same could be said for Alistair MacDirk when working with MacDirk Warriors.

However, can we all agree that when it comes to squad figures, that a partial squad is not worth the full card score? I can't think of one instance where 1 figure in a squad would be worth its full score on the battlefield. I had Elite Onyx Vipers in Uniques Only and twice my opponent went out of their way to take out the last remaining figure holding down a glyph on the outside. That's the way I used them primarily, was send them out early and hold down glyphs. Let's face it, a partial squad moves less, attacks less, and demonstrates measurable work that has been done by the opponent to take out figures.

Thoughts?
I kind of like this compromise to be honest. Full-card scoring for heroes, partial-card scoring for squads. Obviously it's not perfect for every single corner case, but it might be a good way to generally satisfy both sides.

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old May 12th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

now we are thinking, I like what Happy J said

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con