Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old August 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Makeda is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Makeda's maps

I just made this map like a week ago, i was bored and wanted to make a heroscape map, so here it is, if people like it i wil consider making some more maps.
Kinda looking forward to it ^^

I made the map physicly and then mapped it in V-scape.

Story:
Two rulers, tired of war both want to have a drink of water at the forgotten lake.
But, in the distance through the fog of war, they can see the other one closing in on the lake.
After they both send out their messengers to the main army requesting reinforcements, they
prepare their fighters for the battle of the Forgotten Lake.

Rounds: 12
Heroscape sets required: Master set - Rise of the Valkyrie.
Brandar Glyph rules: The north one is +1 defence and the south one is +1 attack.

Normal rules: All players pick their army's consisting of 400 points.

Special rules:
All players pick their army's consisting of 300 points.
At the end of each round all players roll the 20 sided die,
if they roll 16 or higher after finishing round 1 or 2 they can select an army consisting of 160 points.
After round 3 - 11 they only have to roll 11 or higher to receive reinforcement consisting of 160 points.

P.s. tell me what ye guys think (like spelling, i'm Dutch so let me know if i misspelled something please)
I know i'm not much of a story teller, but what really matters for me is the map :P

Last edited by Makeda; August 12th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Part of a Balanced Breakfast

omael rolls all skulls baby! omael rolls all skulls baby! omael rolls all skulls baby! omael rolls all skulls baby! omael rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Makeda's maps

Thanks for the reinforcements variant rules, i hope you cand make additional scenarios
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I couldn't have made much better of a map when I started mapmaking, but I have a few comments/questions/concerns.

First, why are there so many glyphs? 2 defense, 2 attack, and a heal glyph are kind of heavy on a map. The other thing about the placement of the glyphs is that it looks like each player is supposed to have very easy access to an attack and defense glyph. Most tournament maps will put only one or two glyphs on a map, and make sure that both players have equal access to them.

Second, I think your height placement is a little odd. One side, like with the glyphs, has much easier access to one hill. Getting to the farther hill while ranged figures are firing at any approaching figures is pretty hard. This is where the ruins come in. I would either use the ruins as a Line-of-Sight blocker by putting it in a place that would keep ranged figures from doing what I said above, or move the height to a spot where both sides would have equal access to it.

Third, I think the map is a little bit flat, meaning that there aren't a lot of small elevation changes. If you look at maps made by Dignan, Mad_Wookiee, Gamebear, or Killometer (and other good mapmakers) you will see a lot of variation in their height and a few large hills. Use these maps as guidelines and make sure to play a few games and change anything you don't like. These two things are probably the best way to make good maps.

Sorry if this sounded a bit harsh. I hope your next map is even better. (Oh, and the scenario is really cool!)
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:42 PM

That was actually just the kind of feedback i was hoping for, i wanted to make more small elevations but ran out of hex pieces, the glyphs i dunno thought it would be cool to use a lot but maybe i overdone it there.
Guess i can take down the 2 hills i made and make some more small elevations with them.

I got 2 more sets now so it make it a lot easier to physicaly make some maps with those sets and make it more interesting.

But thanks for the feedback Robber!
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Welcome to the site, Makeda.

Since you're a you can upload you build instructions here without any problem at all.

A slight overlap of constructive criticism with what Robber said-broad, flat plains like the ones in The Forgotten Lake can make for pretty one-dimensional games, particularly when each side has "his-and-hers" height and/or glyphs (this map has both). At the same time, you have to be judicious with application of height, as rolling hills are even rougher on melee units.

Your basic design looks solid, but you might try decreasing the length of the map by a few hexes, moving the height a little more towards the central part of the map, and making it a larger and more gradual increase-that will give much more room for fighting for position on height.

Ruins that are perpindicular to the start zones also loose a lot of thier efficacy. Try rotating them 60 degrees, so that they are at an angle to the major axis' of the map. They will provide much more cover for approaching troops that way.

Finally, @Robber, while I appreciate the compliment, I think that I still have a ways to go before I'm bracketed with those three.

Edit: I recommend checking out the Cartographer's Toolbox for a general breakdown of map building theory.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)

Last edited by Killometer; August 14th, 2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM

@ Omael, thank you, but i didn't make it up myself it was actually a special rule from a official map from the manual but i thought it was cool.
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Made a map yesterday evening with a friend of mine, but it wasn't really that balanced, i'm thinking about re-making the map make it more balanced and map it in v-scape, we really had a lot of fun on the map and i barely won at it :P
So look forward to that!
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@Makeda- Can't wait to see it. Hopefully I can guide you a little on this one, too.

@Kilo- Your maps are very close to Dignan/ Mad_Wookiee/ Gamebear quality, but they're so darn original that I had to list you up there. Your maps are some of my favorites

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios