Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old July 4th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Xotli & SpeedySonicX's customs (Reviewing: Triceratops)

Triceratops: Pending Review
(discussion begins on page 4)

DeathViper:

(figure: Creepy Freaks--Chester (with mods))
(discussion begins on page 2)

Stone Golems:

(figures: Monster Ranchers--Golem (2 poses))
(discussion begins on page 1; revision discussion begins on page 3)

Thanx everyone for their comments.

Custom making philosphy of Xotli and son (SpeedySonicX): Find a cool figure and make up cool powers for it--the figure always comes first. When looking for cool figures, existing toys that can be converted, or clearance toys, are considered primo, so some of our figures may be hard to locate (or even identify--sorry guys). Primary purpose of a custom: have fun.
Old July 4th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Custom #1: Stone Golems

Okay, first may I humbly request some sort of sticky thread to tell me how to make one of these ... a customs thread that is, not a custom (lots of good material on that already). I think I know the basics from lurking around, but if the guidelines were all in one place I think that'd be helpful.

Okay, now on to my first attempt. SpeedySonicX, like me, is not much for building maps, but when he first looked over my shoulder and saw that people were making custom figures, he immediately ran to his room and starting digging through old toys for things to use. So most of these are leftover toys that you may or may not be able to find yourself. Oh, and he gets shared credit for all my customs.

First we have some Monster Rancher golem figures (shown with some HS dudes for scale):

(The one on the right has a scuffed foot that I should really touch up, but let's ignore that for now.) The basic idea here is these are a couple of guys literally made out of stone. They're slow, but we wanted them to be very tough. Here's a card that's complete except for the picture and targeting stuff (still working out HCC):

(And here's where that sticky thread would help ... it seems like most people get their cards into the message without the external link to postimage.org, but I dunno how to do that.)

So, as the first picture indicates, it's a squad of two. I made them Large to indicate they're heavy and they can't be carried by Brunak or Theracus. The last special I'm a bit leery of, but SSX absolutely demanded that they be protected from Chompy's insta-kill, so I came up with that. The points were auto-calculated by HCC, but after playing with them a bit I may want to back the points off a bit. The strong defense is nice and all, but the move of 3 is just painful. And you usually have to get them up somewhere, if all your rock terrain is elevated, and that just makes it worse. Of course, once they're in place, they're lovely protection for your ranged units.

So ... thoughts?
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
You did a lot of smart thinking on these guys, for a first time custom, I'm very impressed. Even is this wasn't a first attempt, it's still pretty cool.

I would have to disagree with HCC's point selection, I just have a hard time seeing anyone spend 105 points on them, they are tough, yes, but they aren't THAT tough, imo. Also, I think uniques tend to have a little bit lower of a point cost, comparatively, since they are limited. When I price things, I try to consider what else I could get for said points, then I consider if the custom I'm creating is really worth everything that I wouldn't be able to draft if I drafted the custom instead. Does that make any sense?

I would consider raising their movement to 4. 4 is still pretty slow, but 3 is snail's pace. Only having a movement of 3 really limits these guys, and I think that alone merrits a much lower price. They basically have to stay on level ground, or at most, elevations of +1.

Welcome to the boards. I look forward to seeing some more of your creations.

-jj

smallboxgames.com
Old July 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Xotli, most of us use photobucket to get our stuff here. I will help you if you need it. As far as HCC goes I am getting pretty proficient, pm me if you need help :P
Old July 4th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Turtleboy has disabled reputation
For a first timer nice job man.

Heros Valor is a nice fresh new abililty and i cant wait to see more of your work

And btw thanks i actually have these Minis myself

Old July 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn
You did a lot of smart thinking on these guys, for a first time custom, I'm very impressed. Even is this wasn't a first attempt, it's still pretty cool.
Hey, thanx, justjohn. Coming from a forum regular such as yourself that means a lot.

And, yes, this was our very first custom. When my son first decided we should try making our own, the first thing I thought of was the extra Monster Ranchers (unlike Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh monsters, Monster Ranchers was blind purchase, so we have dups of many). So one figure is an extra, and he looked so good on that HS base that the kid immediately brought out the other one with the different pose to make it a squad.

Quote:
I would have to disagree with HCC's point selection, I just have a hard time seeing anyone spend 105 points on them, they are tough, yes, but they aren't THAT tough, imo.
Yeah, tell me about it. In our current game, I lost one to a stray potshot by a minuteman--not even using Wait Then Fire! He just happened to roll 3 skulls, and I just happened to roll 0 shields. I'm even seriously considering upping their defense to 3, but I want to play a bit more before I mess with that.

But I do agree that they're overcosted ATM.

Quote:
I would consider raising their movement to 4. 4 is still pretty slow, but 3 is snail's pace. Only having a movement of 3 really limits these guys, and I think that alone merrits a much lower price.
Yeah, I hadn't realized just how painfully slow a move of 3 would be. I specifically wanted their move to be their weak point (every unit has to have a weak point). But 3 is pretty hideous. If we weren't using Caravaggio's unit markers rules, I think they'd be practically unusable.

As for being unique, that's just mainly because we don't have another set.

So how about up the defense to 3, up the move to 4, and back the points back down to, say, 90? That makes them the same as NGS ... that could work.

Quote:
Welcome to the boards. I look forward to seeing some more of your creations.
Thanx! We have several more, so they'll be forthcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skynight
Xotli, most of us use photobucket to get our stuff here. I will help you if you need it.
Yeah, I've heard photobucket mentioned often, but I always thought that was the same as the "add image to post" link. But apparently I'm wrong ... So, sure, tips would be much appreciated.

Quote:
As far as HCC goes I am getting pretty proficient, pm me if you need help :Razz:
I'm just now trying to work out how to shoot a picture and then get that into HCC for the figures. I could pm you, sure, but maybe we should start a thread over in Software ... I'm sure others would benefit as well.
Old July 4th, 2006, 06:41 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
After you shoot your pic, clean it up in photoshop with a white background. Alot of times I wand the whole pic, cut it out, paste it onto a new background and save as a bmp. BMP's work much better. From there I take the card to just regular paint and finish it off.
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
There are 2 card guides stickied in this forum (one for Photoshop, and one for the free Gimp) that can help you learn how to clean up your images.

Hope they are some help.

smallboxgames.com
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
For a first timer nice job man.
Thanx a lot, TB.

Quote:
Heros Valor is a nice fresh new abililty and i cant wait to see more of your work
Hey, I'm glad you like it. I was worried that I was pushing it a bit ... that it was too complicated or somesuch.

Quote:
And btw thanks i actually have these Minis myself
Awesome! Let me know if you try 'em out sometime.

Quote:
... clean it up in photoshop with a white background.
Now, see, when you say it like that you make it sound so easy. But the wand thingy hates me. Plus I think the choice of background for the picture is important too ... did I mention I suck at graphics stuff? Well, I suppose here's not the place to go into those details. Let me fiddle a bit more and then I'll start a new thread for that if I have more questions.

Quote:
Alot of times I wand the whole pic, cut it out, paste it onto a new background and save as a bmp.
I'm tryin' man.

Quote:
There are 2 card guides stickied in this forum (one for Photoshop, and one for the free Gimp) that can help you learn how to clean up your images.
Right, I've read through your excellent tutorial (I'm using the Gimp); I'm just a real moron when it comes to graphics stuff. (Happily I'm fairly intelligent on other fronts. )
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:46 PM
assistant leader

I am a computer friggin ape, if I can do it you can do it. All I do is send the pic to photoshop, hold shift and wand outline the whole thing, right click, select inverse, copy, new page, paste, load pic, clean in paint. I know it sounds tough but it is really a cinch. I wish I was there to show you. I know nothing of computer graphics, it is all HCC and paint.
Old July 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM

Widigo has disabled reputation
Nice job man.

Sorry If I Spell like a Horgle, or Smell like one.
- Slimbo the Silly Shamin
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Okay guys, I played with some different numbers on the costing (now using philowar's spreadsheet instead of built-in HCC calcs) and came up with 80 pts. I'm pretty happy with that, I think. So I'm calling it (provisionally) done and putting it up. But, as always, I still welcome comments and will revise based on same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight
I am a computer friggin ape, if I can do it you can do it. All I do is send the pic to photoshop, hold shift and wand outline the whole thing, right click, select inverse, copy, new page, paste, load pic, clean in paint. I know it sounds tough but it is really a cinch. I wish I was there to show you. I know nothing of computer graphics, it is all HCC and paint.
Perhaps my problem is that I know too much about computers. But I can't do art, of any nature. Every time I try the wand thing (this is the Gimp, not PhotoShop, but I've used that too and it hates me just as much) I end up selecting all these little stray regions inside the figure and then I have to try to subtract them from the selection ... it makes me insane. You can see on the final card I finagled out of HCC how "grainy" the figure images are around the edges. And don't even get me started on what pitiful "circles" I drew for the targeting icons ...

But, as I say, maybe I'll start a thread on this aspect of it. I'm sure others could benefit from the discussion as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widigo
Nice job man.
Hey, thanx. Always good to get that positive feedback.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards