Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of the Protectors of Ullar

The Protectors are interestingly a Squad Version of Iron Man in a similar way that the Krav are a squad version of Skahen.

It is interesting to see which is better

Protector Advantages

Cost: 2 Squads of Protectors (220) are similar to the cost of Iron Man (240) but 20 points cheaper, advantage Protectors

Attack: The Protectors have 1 less attack but have Arablast, advantage Protectors. 3 attacks per turn also beat 2 attacks per turn

Misc: 6 figures typically are better than 1 figure for survivability, advantage Protectors

Iron Man Advantages

Defense: Iron Man has +3 defense, so he should average 1 more shield per roll

Mobility: Iron Man has either +1 or +2 Speed depending if Atlaga is around

Range: Iron Man has +1 range

I think overall it is a draw between these similar units, with maybe the Protectors having a very slight advantage
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
The Protectors are interestingly a Squad Version of Iron Man in a similar way that the Krav are a squad version of Skahen.

It is interesting to see which is better

Protector Advantages

Cost: 2 Squads of Protectors (220) are similar to the cost of Iron Man (240) but 20 points cheaper, advantage Protectors

Attack: The Protectors have 1 less attack but have Arablast, advantage Protectors. 3 attacks per turn also beat 2 attacks per turn

Misc: 6 figures typically are better than 1 figure for survivability, advantage Protectors

Iron Man Advantages

Defense: Iron Man has +3 defense, so he should average 1 more shield per roll

Mobility: Iron Man has either +1 or +2 Speed depending if Atlaga is around

Range: Iron Man has +1 range

I think overall it is a draw between these similar units, with maybe the Protectors having a very slight advantage
Interesting observations. I guess it all depends on what your opponent has. If you are fighting squads, I would say that Iron Man would do better since he doesn't loose any potential attack bonus from attacking different figures and can outmaneuver the swarm with his higher move. And of course, the protectors would be better against heroes.

Protectors * 2 > Iron Man if pitted against each other, IMO. Without height, a single protector has about a 25% chance to get at least one wound on Iron Man, and then it just gets worse for the hero as the turn continues. It's a tough call though. If you throw in Marcu with the protectors to match the 240, I would definitely go for Protectors.

Iron Man can be influenced by warrior spirits and is less susceptible to acid spit, chomp, etc. Just something to consider.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played a game last night on Knophree Pass.

Me: 2 Protectors or Ullar, 2 Minnions of Utgar, Atlaga
Son: Migol, 2 Axegrinders, Brave Arrow, 3 Mohican River Tribe, Marcu

At first the dice were against me and I lost three Minions early. The dwarves then hopped on a move +2 glyph and with the road bonus they swarmed. But the PoU moved to the high ground and shot down Migol and tore apart the dwarves. With only a couple dwarves left my son started moving out the MRT and started picking off the PoU. Wings as hit zones definitely helps to even out the strength of flying range. The MRT hit their Concealment several times from ranged attacks, but luckily I had two Minions left and they took most of them out. Brave Arrow then went on a suicide mission to take out Atlaga who I never put an order marker on until the last round of the game. I attempted Atlaga's special and failed, but killed Brave Arrow with his normal attack. I ended the game with one Minion and two PoU left.

Overall the PoU, coupled with Atalga really took control of the battlefield. 5 move, 5 range, flying, attacking with 4 dice is really good stuff. At one point I had the move +2 glyph so the PoU got to move 7 for a round or two. That helped get two or three into great positions. They fell to repeated attacks but they killed and equal or better amount in points.

Migol is a good counter to their special as well. I could only add one attack die no matter how many hits he took. He still fell quickly though.
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:53 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

These guys cleaned house in the last couple games. We built a Scape replica of Beaver Creek from Halo. The Protectors got up on the bridge and pounded the figures below. One turn they took out Cyprien, and in another game they took out Kaemon Awa. Both were full health and died in one round. Arbalast is just unbelievable! Flying ranged squads are really really potent.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; July 5th, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I played in a three player game today. To expedite drafting, we roll for armies and get the flagbearer that goes with that general. I got Ullar, it's flagbearer Acolarh and 600 pts to spend on my Ullar army (flagbearers don't count toward point total) consisting of:

Protectors x2
Atlaga
Saylind
Charos
Acolarh

Having three Protectors next to Acorlarh in the starting zone was huge in getting an early height advantage. They got to move 4+1+2 for an initial move of 7.

Acolarh and Atlaga also helped Saylind advance 8 spaces and summon Charos into the action to help draw attacks while the Protectors went to work.

My two squads of Protectors used the Combined Arbalest to take out TBR and Cyprien. They also put three wounds on Wo Sa Ga, killed a couple Sentinels and a couple Minions. I finished the game by bringing the fifth and final Glyph of Brandar back to base with two Protectors and Charos left.

I may have gotten lucky, but getting that combined Arbalest against the heroes was huge in this game, especially TBR and Cyprien. It was a gyph grab game and both TBR and Cyprien can move extremely fast and if they take wounds, Kelda was waiting for them back at their base. When I put the first wound or two on those guys, the culmative effect was huge in making sure those guys didn't survive to go get healed or to bring back a glyph.

The Sentinels and Minions were tougher to kill, but I got a few of them.

I felt bad for a little bit for killing TBR and Cyprien so quickly...that was until my nephew rolled 3 skulls for a Minion with height over Atlaga for 6 skulls total and I whiffed for Atlaga's defensive roll and with no previous wounds, he got killed in one attack by a Minion. So I didn't feel bad any longer for the Protector dominance in this game.

Fun to play, but a pain sometimes to get into some spaces with those huge arse wings.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Yaish knows what's in an order marker Yaish knows what's in an order marker

I played AGAINST the PoU a couple of times this weekend, and they are a nightmare. They made pretty short work of my Nilfheim with that darned Combined Arbalest power. Nilf's defense was just low enough that they had a good shot of landing a wound each time, and they did. Two rounds was all he lasted though he did take out two PoU and put a couple wounds on Atlaga.

Combined Arbalest is one of those powers that never seems to go right when it's on your side, but when your opponent has it they just kill you with it.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

There's been no luck with these guys by me:

They might be able to kill heroes, but most squads they've faced have torn them apart.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

These guys seem to be beasts against heroes. Just a little luck on the first roll and they will wipe most heroes off the face of the earth.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM

dafe31 is surprisingly tart

Here is a question for the community. Can you use the Combined Arbalest on the Fortress Door? It's not a Special Attack, so you have to deal with the automatic shields, but since it came up at my house, I thought I'd ask it here.

Thanks,
DAFE31
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM

TemplarMaster has disabled reputation

The Door is not a figure, so Combined Arbalest would not apply.
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:50 PM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafe31 View Post
Here is a question for the community. Can you use the Combined Arbalest on the Fortress Door? It's not a Special Attack, so you have to deal with the automatic shields, but since it came up at my house, I thought I'd ask it here.

Thanks,
DAFE31
I would say, yes, Combined Arbalest would work on the Fortress Door. Combined Arbalest only has the requirement of inflicting wounds and the door takes damage like any figure. I don't see Combined Arbalest as anything different than Carr's Sword of Reckoning ability in regards to the door being attacked like any other figure.

Kumiko is not impressed with your sculpt, either.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM

TemplarMaster has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscape Advanced FAQ
Remember, that the Door is not a figure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectors of Ullar
When attacking with a Protector of Ullar, roll 1 additional attack die for each wound that has been inflicted on the defending figure this turn by Protectors of Ullar you control.
Combined Arbalest does not work on the door.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units