Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old October 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Flunked Ebay

MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker
YoYo in Heroscape?!

Hey all,

I've been VERY busy lately, but plan to make occasional stops in to say hey. Hopefully the pearl of wisdom I'm about to drop isn't OLD news yet.

I used to play Mage Knight. I used to write about Mage Knight in InQuest Magazine. I lived and breathed it until it went under. Then I started playing Heroscape.

In Mage Knight, one of the most powerful combos in the game was called YoYo. It combined two figures. One needed to be a powerful range figure with an ability called BOUND (ala Amazon Draconum). Bound allowed a figure to move and shoot in the same turn. The other figure needed Magic Levitation (any number of little buggers). Magic Levitation allowed you to move any one figure who had been in base with the levitator at the start of the turn up to 10 inches.

Now there are some very special differences between Mage Knight and Heroscape regarding this combo. First, ALL figures in Heroscape can move and shoot/attack in the same turn. Second, you may only move one squad/unit in Heroscape a turn, where in Mage Knight you had a certain number of activations, usually 3. So, based on further playing with Yo Yo in Heroscape it could be rather decent, or it could be not worth it (VERY specialized at this point). It was so broken in MK though that they errated the ability of ML to only work on figures that were in base with the levitator at the beginning of the turn.

BUT, I'm getting WAY ahead of myself. SO, in Mage Knight the Bounder would start the turn in base with the levitator, move and shoot and THEN the owning player would activate the ML ability to bring the figure back to base with the levitator. What this does is give you a very hearty range advantage over your opponent. I can spring out and whack you and move back where you can't hit me on your next turn. It was an amazing combo.

So, how do we make this work for Heroscape, if we even want to? The answer is ELF WIZARDS!!! You need three of them. First, the 150 point Ulginesh. His ability to mind link is what you are paying for, not to mention that he is the ONLY flying ranged figure in the game and THAT is cool in its own right, but for this combo you need the link. Basically, Ulginesh gives you the MK ability to activate both bounder and levitator in a single turn.

So, who is my levitator? Emirroon. For 80 points you get Elf Summoning, which on a roll of 5 or higher will get your bounder back in base every turn. The rest of the figure isn't bad. 3 Att, 3 Def and five life for 80 is okay. He can hold his own if attacked.

Finally, I need a bounder and to fit with Ulginesh it must be an Elf Wizard like Emirroon. That leaves us with my favorite of the Elf Wizards, Arkmer. This 50 point powerhouse is a bad ass. His range is okay at 5, but mix that with a 5 move and the ability to sneak 5 spaces or so back the opposite direction and you've done something potentially nasty. Also, while in base with Ulginesh and Emirroon, he gets benefits to defense from Staff of Lerkintin AND Engagement Strike means that only your opponents range figures should think about screwing with him. His 4 attack is decent by any standards as well. All that for 50 points!!!

That's 280 points of an army, which in 500 gives you 220 points left to play with. You can go the Elf Wizard route with Jorhndawn at 100 points with the ability to tear up attacking clusters. She needs to stay close to the other elves to do any real damage though so she may be too specialized.

Kytela Gwyn is a cheap, 20 point solution to bumping up defense for your support. Chardis, at 90 points also requires other Elves to be a billy badass, though you could set that up with Ulginesh pretty quickly by placing a few Wizards forward and then bouncing Chardis back and forth, but you only get one more range than Arkmer...though it would be a special attack and bypass some defenses against range. SO, maybe use Kytela and Chardis for a combined 110.

With 110 left and an Elven Wizard theme...doesn't Acolarh finally make sense? He can defend your Elves a bit better than before AND lets Arkmer or who ever is bouncing move an additional 2 spaces.

I would go with:

Elf Wizard YO YO
Ulginesh 150
Arkmer 50
Emrioon 80
Kyntela Gwyn 20
Chardis 90
Acolarh 110

FINALLY an Elf army that may be worth playing.

Good Traders: Maska, Fallen Templar, Punisher Fan, loborocket, Marduk, Brotharon

324 figures and counting!

Check me out here:
http://www.myspace.com/mksentinel

And FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BRILLIANT QUESTION,

Self-induced illiteracy should be a crime!!!
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: YoYo in Heroscape?!

There are a number of other flying ranged units...they're called dragons.

Anyway, I like this tactic quite a bit! A lot of people use this (or very similar) builds for an all-Elf army, but Emiroon is used exclusively for setting up your "cluster" properly, then he's usually sleeping for the rest of the time. I don't know anything about Mage Knight, so I don't know why this combo was so powerful, but it certainly seems like a solid maneuver.

Old October 18th, 2008, 10:59 AM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nice combo! The main problem that I could see is being attacked by fast or swarm armies, but otherwise makes a very deadly and strategic move. +rep!

-scorp

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel View Post
Finally, I need a bounder and to fit with Ulginesh it must be an Elf Wizard like Emirroon. That leaves us with my favorite of the Elf Wizards, Arkmer. This 50 point powerhouse is a bad ass. His range is okay at 5, but mix that with a 5 move and the ability to sneak 5 spaces or so back the opposite direction and you've done something potentially nasty. Also, while in base with Ulginesh and Emirroon, he gets benefits to defense from Staff of Lerkintin AND Engagement Strike means that only your opponents range figures should think about screwing with him. His 4 attack is decent by any standards as well. All that for 50 points!!!

Oh My Gosh. I am such an Idiot. I always thought arkmer only had 1 range. No wonder all of the newbies would always pick him. I am so stupid. I deserve to be neg repped for not knowing that.

Quote:
There are a number of other flying ranged units...they're called dragons.

I think what Mksentinel meant to say is he is the only flying character with flying and a normal range attack. Besides marvel.
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

This is a strategy I never thought of before. I could see how it could really shine on a large enough maps. +rep

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Ivellius knows what's in an order marker Ivellius knows what's in an order marker

Not only that, but if you make sure to leave 4 elves around Emirroon, you're guaranteed to get your yo-yo back every turn. I too had forgotten that Arkmer had a ranged attack, so this strategy could do some damage with pretty much no risk to your army.

I'd known that the Elf Wizards could work as an army, but I didn't think about this particular strategy. Good notice.
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey you cross refeence guru, you missed one. Probably didn't see it but you should read How to choose, and use, the Elf Army.

That is an excellent discussion of this topic in general, but I'm going to link to this thread there because your suggestion is a good way to strengthen that army.

Basically the proper way to use an Elf army is to get to an advantageous position and wait for the enemy. The YoYo strategy would allow you to strike deep into your enemies ranks and then pull back again, essentially turning your army into one with a great range.

I don't see how scorpiusx's point would be any more devestating with this tactic than any other elf army. The Elf army doesn't move fast, and so it is open to rapid strike tactics. Your suggestion would actually help them overcome it. Great idea.
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

There are several "YoYo"s in Heroscape and here's another:

1. Vydar YoYo
Q9 (180)
Lagolar (110)
Krav Agents (100)
Raelin (80)
Blastas (60)
Isamu (10)

Raelin and Q9 are a YoYo in and of themselves, and with Laglor Q9's range is extended by 2. Same with the Blastatrons and the Krav Agents.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
If it doesn't use 20+ sets, you're not doing it right!

Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflytnt View Post
There are several "YoYo"s in Heroscape and here's another:

1. Vydar YoYo
Q9 (180)
Lagolar (110)
Krav Agents (100)
Raelin (80)
Blastas (60)
Isamu (10)

Raelin and Q9 are a YoYo in and of themselves, and with Laglor Q9's range is extended by 2. Same with the Blastatrons and the Krav Agents.
I wouldn't call that an example of a Yoyo build.

A better example would be the silversurfer. (I KNOW, I KNOW; HE'S MARVEL!)

He can move out from behind a line of site blocker like a fortress wall,
shoot at an opponent's unit, then fly back behind a wall.

By the way MKSentinel, when are we going to play?
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

How about Skahen and Carr as another potential yo-yo combination? I think your better off propelling Carr forward than pulling him back though, so maybe it's not such a good idea.
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Now that I read it a little closer I understand what he meant by Yo-Yo.

VERY cool little discovery with the elves being able to do that! Another one like that would be McDirk and his warriors. The Warriors allow him to run out and attack, then he can 'overextend' and run back behind cover, then the McDirk Warriors can jump out from behind a bush and attack with a +1 Attack from McDirk taking a hit.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

I play with that army, with the addition of Jorhdawn for 600. I usually end up heading forward though and letting Jorhdawn fireball stuff. I haven't found yo-yo-ing to be a very good tactic in Heroscape, especially when it is unreliable.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units