Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 16th, 2019, 12:45 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I can't say that I'm a big fan of Inspiration. The theme doesn't feel completely cohesive to me (especially for Evil Inspiration, which lets Sirenia "inspire" an opposing Sir Gilbert to attack his own teammates?). Taking turns with other player's units has always been attributed to some form of Mind Control (though to be fair, friendly units aren't an explored design space there), so I can't help but feel like the power would be more suited to some kind of a siren's song like your original theme for Sirenia. I'm ambivalent towards the short-ranged aura--on one hand, we don't really see figures like Runa at all anymore, but on the other, it's not a style of figure that I've particularly missed and comes with a lot of inherent flaws.

I'm not enthused about the second attack on Sonic Sword. It can already target more than one figure, and if Sirenia is keeping some form of Inspiration, then there's already the (rare) potential for multiple attacks per turn. Honestly, I'd prefer to drop the Special Attack entirely for a solid normal attack and leave her with just Life Drain and an Evil Inspiration-esque power. If her purpose is to serve as a distraction like Runa with a 1/20 risk (plus some life draining to keep herself alive), then she doesn't really need to also be a general-purpose multi-attacker.

As for Rania, I think that a different implementation of the inspirational theme could be more interesting and thematic. The figure looks like it's rallying figures to her side to me, which leaves plenty of room for alternate interpretations. As a quick example:
Quote:
RALLY
After taking a turn with Rania, you may move up to X units that you control who follow Ullar up to Y spaces each. Figures moved by Rally must be able to end their movement adjacent to Rania.
That plays into Ullar's focus on movement while still giving her the feeling of a soldier leading her troops into battle. The Ullar restriction could easily be cleaned up; I mostly just think that it would be neat for her to lead some elves into battle rather than build a hodgepodge of Unique Heroes to try and get lucky with Inspiration on them.
Old October 16th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
It may be that Rania's A Soldier's Endurance alone may be enough, along with her sculpt, to warrant induction, but I'd prefer to give her at least one more Special Power.
This is always dangerous thinking. If your reason to give a unit another power is that you think it doesn't have enough "stuff," you're making a mistake. Simply having more powers does not make a unit interesting, or exciting, or thematic. It's the design as a whole that's important, whether that requires one power or four.

That's a general statement for custom design, not this specific unit. Think first about what you want a unit to be, and design to that.
Old October 16th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Think first about what you want a unit to be, and design to that.

Excellent advice for everyone.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 16th, 2019, 06:31 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

[On my phone]

All that has been said before I hear. After some contemplation, a possible path for Sirenia has been staring us in the face all along. As much as I would like to do something cute with her sword, I’ll settle for giving her an attack of 5 (a la Viceron), Life Drain and Enslave 17.

As for Rania, her A Soldier’s Endurance is really good. Because she’s linked in my mind with Sirenia, I’d like to give her the equivalent of Enslave 17 for Friendly figures.

Old October 17th, 2019, 11:46 AM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

[Back on my home computer]

I've decided to keep the single attack version of Sonic Sword and take Astroking112's advice as to Rania's leadership power, especially as A Soldier's Endurance will find her out front, and she would benefit from helping other units catch up.

SIRENIA, SISTER OF DARKNESS

General Utgar

Unique Hero
Species Succubus
Class Warrior
Personality Terrifying

Medium 5

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4

Points ???

LIFE DRAIN
Each time Sirenia destroys a figure, you may remove a wound from this Army Card. Sirenia cannot Life Drain destructible objects.

SONIC SWORD
Range 1, Attack 4
Choose a figure to attack. You may also choose another figure adjacent to the targeted figure to be affected by Sonic Sword. Roll attack dice once for both figures.

ENSLAVE 17
When revealing an order marker on Sirenia, after taking Sirenia's turn, you may choose any Unique Hero figure within 4 spaces of Sirenia. roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, take temporary control of the chosen Hero and innediately take a turn with that Hero. At the end of that turn, control of the chosen Hero returns to its previous owner. All order markers that were on the figure's Army Card will stay on the Army Card.

RANIA REYJYRE,
SISTER OF LIGHT

General Ullar

Unique Hero
Species Elf
Class Soldier
Personality Valiant

Size Medium 5

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4

Points ???

A SOLDIER’S ENDURANCE
After moving and attacking with Rania, you may move Rania up to 3 additional spaces and attack one additional time. Rania will take any leaving engagement attacks when moving with A Soldier’s Endurance.

FOLLOW ME!
After taking a turn with Rania, you may move up to 3 units that you control who follow Ullar up to 3 spaces each.

Old October 17th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

These are much tighter designs.

The only issue I have with Sirenia is the species. Succubus just doesn't seem to fit, though Heroscape has always played fast and loose with generic fantasy species.

In Rania's Follow Me!, do you really mean "units?" That power allows her to move up to 12 figures (3 units of 4 figures each). That's pretty nuts. If it's "figures" it would make more sense.
Old October 17th, 2019, 11:59 AM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
These are much tighter designs.

The only issue I have with Sirenia is the species. Succubus just doesn't seem to fit, though Heroscape has always played fast and loose with generic fantasy species.

In Rania's Follow Me!, do you really mean "units?" That power allows her to move up to 12 figures (3 units of 4 figures each). That's pretty nuts. If it's "figures" it would make more sense.

Thanks for the feedback! Made Sirenia Undead again, and changed "units" to "figures" in Follow Me! How would you price these?

SIRENIA, SISTER OF DARKNESS

General Utgar

Unique Hero
Species Undead
Class Warrior
Personality Terrifying

Medium 5

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4

Points ???

LIFE DRAIN
Each time Sirenia destroys a figure, you may remove a wound from this Army Card. Sirenia cannot Life Drain destructible objects.

SONIC SWORD
Range 1, Attack 4
Choose a figure to attack. You may also choose another figure adjacent to the targeted figure to be affected by Sonic Sword. Roll attack dice once for both figures.

ENSLAVE 17
When revealing an order marker on Sirenia, after taking Sirenia's turn, you may choose any Unique Hero figure within 4 spaces of Sirenia. roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, take temporary control of the chosen Hero and innediately take a turn with that Hero. At the end of that turn, control of the chosen Hero returns to its previous owner. All order markers that were on the figure's Army Card will stay on the Army Card.

RANIA REYJYRE,
SISTER OF LIGHT

General Ullar

Unique Hero
Species Elf
Class Soldier
Personality Valiant

Size Medium 5

Life 5
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 4

Points ???

A SOLDIER’S ENDURANCE
After moving and attacking with Rania, you may move Rania up to 3 additional spaces and attack one additional time. Rania will take any leaving engagement attacks when moving with A Soldier’s Endurance.

FOLLOW ME!
After taking a turn with Rania, you may move up to 3 figures that you control who follow Ullar up to 3 spaces each.

Old October 17th, 2019, 12:42 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Move > attack > move other figures > take another pseudo-turn seems more reasonable.
Old October 17th, 2019, 12:50 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Move > attack > move other figures > take another pseudo-turn seems more reasonable.
Are you suggesting that Follow Me! occur after Rania moves and attacks, but before the additional 3 space movement and 1 additional attack of A Soldier's Endurance? How would the powers look then?

Old October 17th, 2019, 12:58 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Actually, I misread. I see how it works now. You might consider that way though, since the total 8 move might put her out of range, but that’s for playtesting to determine.
Old October 17th, 2019, 01:04 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Actually, I misread. I see how it works now. You might consider that way though, since the total 8 move might put her out of range, but that’s for playtesting to determine.

There is no range limit to Follow Me!, so "out of range" of what?

Old October 17th, 2019, 01:11 PM

Ah, I see. Never mind then.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards