Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Targanth knows what's in an order marker Targanth knows what's in an order marker Targanth knows what's in an order marker
History of the Worlds (part zero)

The Human units we have in Heroscape come from many different times - from the Romans of 2000 years ago to the agents of today. That is easy to know because we know our earth history.

But what of the history of the other worlds represented in Heroscape? If we could invent more of a history for other worlds, wouldn't the game designers be better able to draw on 'historical' figures from those worlds?

Here is what was going through my mind. We know earth history, so it is easy to identify and develop units from different times. If I look at the races from Marr, I don't inherently know who which are historical and which are more modern. But looking a little closer, I see units that have natural weapons (teeth, claws and fangs) and those that have advanced weapons (spears and guns). It is easier to consider that Marr from various 'times' have been transported by the generals to the 'Battle of all Time'.

If I look at Alpha Prime, the numbering suggests to me that Deathwalker 7000 is from an earlier time than cousin Deathwalker 9000. However, when I look at Valhalla and the Kyrie, it is not as easy for me to see that Kyrie 'from all times' have been pulled in to the battle. Clothing, armor and weapons are all fairly similar. I'm not looking for the Kyrie to start hauling out guns, but what were Kyrie battles like before they began metalworking?

I have the same curiosity when looking at Feylund. I see Feylund as a place where the technology is magic, not metal. Jotun has a sword, otherwise there are few metal weapons. Perhaps Jotun comes from an earlier time when magic was still emerging, and steel still had a chance.

So, this thread is a place to invent the history of those worlds.

Here is my first one - about the Kyrie. Perhaps as a young race the Kyrie were lighter and taller (flying would be easier for a lighter individual, taller for better control while flying). Developing flying might mean that arms were less developed, not strong enough to swing a club or sword. Maybe the first 'technology' breakthrough for the Kyrie was to take vines and string together a lightweight net. They could fly over their prey (or their enemy), drop the net and entangle the enemy, then land and attck. Perhaps there feet were more claw-like at that time, meaning that they would not be comfortable walking.

Now we come up with Kyrie that can fly but would not gain a road bonus. These Kyrie can only attack when adjacent. The Kyrie would have one net marker (like the grenade marker) and could drop it on a figure that it flew over top of. That figure would become entangled and would stay entangled as long as it was engaged with any opposing figures.

Any ideas about what life used to be like on Feylund, Valhalla or Grut? Or maybe what life was like hundreds of years AFTER the time when the figures currently in the game existed?
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM

fraz the gr8 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: History of the Worlds (part zero)

The Kyrie are probably all from the present day. Because the story of heroscape if fought in Valhalla and units are being summoned to Valhalla I highly doubt that the wellsprings could bring Kyrie from the past to the present. Then fallen warriors could be brought back again and again in their past form. So I think this is the reason the kyrie don't have guns, they have not invented them yet.
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM

its me lol is surprisingly tart

I want to know who the orcs natural enemy is. I mean the marro have the vipers, and the orcs are such a violent species, yet we have no other units (to my knowledge) that inhabit the planet of Grut.

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain
-Axl Rose
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

In studying Egyptian history, I learned an amazing thing - the Egyptians maintained their culture in an almost static and unchanging state for 4,000 years. The art, the religion, the methods of worship, styles of leadership and other cultural events were all maintained and remained relatively unchanged from the beginning of their reign to the end of their civilization.

In that instance, it was a combination of geographical and religious reasons that allowed (required?) the Egyptians to remain in that constant state. I imagine something similar happening with the Kyrie. They are in the state that they have always been in and will continue to be. As far as they are concerned they have achieved a societal perfection that they do not wish to disrupt or improve upon, and have been that way for thousands of years. As such, we won't see drastically different breeds of Kyrie in Heroscape, just various clans and alliances.

I do like the idea of Marro figures representing an evolutionary track, though. It makes me wonder - Is Wo-Sa-Ga a primitive prehistoric Marr creature, or is she the height of their race's evolution?

Old September 13th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death!

You should check out the bios on Heroscape.com for more background information on the characters. Thormun's journal also contains much information.

The only references to time I have seen on there are:

Warriors of Ashra - Possibly an ancient elf group. They protect a 1200 year old city.

Some of the soulborgs reference the evolution of the species and eventual enslavement of the human like species that created them. Martix/BSG like backstory.

Several figures reference other figures in their backstory. The Elves, Theracus, Sudema, and the Wolves all co-existed in Feylund.

Also, many of the agents are from future Earth, not modern times.
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun

You have to remember that this takes place in Valhalla, so summoning warriors from Valhalla wouldn't make much sense.

The problem with the Marro representing some sort of evolutionary scale is the official bios saying they co-existed. The drones' bio says they're just mindless beasts given ('given' being the operative word, here) simple tools because they're not trusted with more complex weapons. And Wo-Sa-Ga's bio says she was gene-spliced. That would mean she co-exists with the other Marro instead of having evolved from them.

I think that most of the non-human races are summoned from around the same time on their world, more or less. I can think of a few examples otherwise, but not many.
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM

ireallydidchomphulk&abom *glass shatters*

that would be cool and makes sense.cyprien has a sword maybe hes been around a long time and also developed special majic
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

I like your idea, Targanth! While some of the races are described in Thormun's Journal, it would be fun to flesh them out more and invent the others.

I'd throw some rep your way if I had that ability yet!

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

The Marro are an advanced hybrid lifeform created as a biological weapon in Alpha Prime's distant future. Originally called "Hybrids" by the Soulborg, they were fierce warriors with a hierarchal culture that revolved around the Hivelord, with each species of Hybrid having a specific purpose and specialty. They were used to dominate the Soulborg colonies that revolted from Alpha Prime, and all that oposed them eventually were obliterated or surrendered to Soulborg Wardens, the keepers of the Hybrids. Eventually they grew so numerous that they revolted and were all but decimated by the Soulborgs during the Great Hybrid Uprsing. The original designer, Warden A001, could not bear to see his ultimate creation annihilated and thus seeded an asteroid with Hives and sent it outward into the universe at large. After many thousands of years the asteroid struck a planet in the Vulpecuae Gamma starsystem, Marr, and he Hives were released from their cryogenic chambers. They quickly reproduced and dominated the flora and fauna of their new homeworld, and spread their hatred with the sole purpose of revenge.

Left without an enemy to fight they warred amongst themselves, with each hive surrounded by a city-state populated with individual colonies of Marro warriors. After 500 years of unrelenting war a leader of such cunning and merciless power that he brought all of Marr under one flag. This was the first great Marro Lord, Ne-Gok-Sa. An uneasy peace lasted for another hundred years until a student of the Marro Lord, Me-Burq-Sa, broke his Hive from the Marro Lord and started a new civil war that lasted two hundred years. At the end of this time the peace was brought about by the Hivelord Su-Bak-Na who cleverly convinced them that the Soulborg were coming to destroy them and that they had to join as a race again for the salvation of the planet. They waited fifty years in vain and the Soulborg never came, thus ending that peace when Kee-Mo-Shi convinced the populace that they had become soft and weak by following the lies of Su-Bak-Na. The battle ensued until the pinnacle where Kee-Mo-Shi mortally wounded the upstart Su-Bak-Na and took control of the Marro race again.

Another 200 years of peace passed and more specialties developed for the purpose of expanding the influence of the Marro race to other starsystems, determined to never again be a slave race and to find the Soulborgs to wreak their revenge. A new leader emerged during this time, Tor-Kul-Na, who used his influence with the Nagrubs (a native race to the planet that was subjugated by the Marro) to win control and crown himself Emperor Hivelord of the planet. He was indeed smarter than his predecessors as he delegated responsibilities to a subordinate, Wo-Sa-Ga, who became grand General of the Marro armies.

Five hundred years had passed when a Marro Cavalrymar rode to the Marro Core in Tor City and revealed that a gate had opened right in front of him - and out strode a winged creature standing 20 feet in height bearing armor of strange markings. Wo-Sa-Ga sent a legion of Marr Warriors to kill this intruder, but none returned save one, with a document in a golden case. Tor-Kul-Na quickly read the decree and realized that at last the Marro would have their vengeance: If they fought for Utgar and defeated Jandar and his allies they would be rewarded by Utgar with the enslavement of the Soulborgs and the destruction of Alpha Prime at the hands of Tor-Kul-Na.

They readied themselves for battle and entered the portal, knowing that the time of the Marro had come and the Soulborgs would pay for their crimes at long last.....

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old September 13th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Hey, it's a start..

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old September 13th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death! Hogg is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol View Post
I like your idea, Targanth! While some of the races are described in Thormun's Journal, it would be fun to flesh them out more and invent the others.

I'd throw some rep your way if I had that ability yet!
You can give rep. Read:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=17597
Old September 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Targanth knows what's in an order marker Targanth knows what's in an order marker Targanth knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflytnt View Post
Hey, it's a start..
Superflytnt, I enjoyed your work - good story line.

Clearly I need to read through Thormun's Journal to become more familiar with the current backstory. Thanks to all that have pointed me in that direction.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion