Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old October 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
The Cthulu Mythos

This actually isn't a "How cool are thse books?" thread; this is more of a "Where do I start?" thread. I've been meaning to dive into Mr. Lovecraft's horror, but I have no idea what book is supposed to be "first". Can anyone into these books help me out?
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Re: The Cthulu Mythos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
This actually isn't a "How cool are thse books?" thread; this is more of a "Where do I start?" thread. I've been meaning to dive into Mr. Lovecraft's horror, but I have no idea what book is supposed to be "first". Can anyone into these books help me out?
Kinda funny, I'm just about to jump into those books. I had the same question...

I just searched the library for "Call of Cthulhu." I think that's the first story. I've been looking at Wikipedia mainly.
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't know about this stuff. The best place to learn is at your FLGS. Their they have a card game that will teach you all about the myth.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.

Last edited by Shades fan; October 29th, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

He he, most unhelpful answer ever. I recommend wikipedia and go from there to amazon or something.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!

The problem with Lovecraft and his school of writing is not everyting is linear. Althought there are interrelations a lot of stories are simply stand alones with hooks to the others.

I'd go with the Dunwich Cow for starters...
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Here is a Wikipedia list of H.P. Lovecraft works in chronological order:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...._P._Lovecraft

At the bottom of the article are listings (with ISBNs) of compilations of his work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_collections

Some Wikipedia information on the Lovecraft Mythos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft_Mythos

Newb.
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Anyways if you don't feel like getting into the game, I would check out this site I found... Cthulhu Flies
I'm pretty sure it all starts in the Arkham tales book.

I've not read the book myself, instead learned all about it through the game. So i'm not sure if that's completly correct.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

(Nevermind, misunderstood the purpose of the thread)

(Consider my avatar my contribution. It's a HS skull, but when I first posted the picture, Necro thought it looked like Cthulu)

Last edited by spiteofthedice; October 29th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Thank you all for the responses. The reason I didn't use Wikipedia for a starting-point is because of what Dennys said; it's not very linear. I think I'm just going to start with Call of Cthulu and go as chronologically as I can.
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:24 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just started reading Lovecraft last year. The first book I read was a compliation called The Whisperer in the Darkness. In the introduction to that book there is an essay that details which of Lovecrafts stories are linked to the Cthulu Mythos and how. It was very informative.

In addition pretty much all of the stories in that book are terrific in their own right.

The next anthology I read was The Road to Madness. There are a couple of selections that are in both books, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Enjoy!

Old October 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM

*sigh*

I just checked my local library, and it seems it's so small it has nothing in the Cthulu Mythos at all, or anything written by Lovecraft. I'm sorry to say this, but the thread is a moot point now. I apologize for you all having to drag out that info for nothing.
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:27 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Why not try Half Priced Books, Pumpkin King?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books