Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old February 25th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Gary's Heroscape Site

Thanks guys for the props. I do appreciate them.

I have finished a first draft of the "compiled guide" for the Basic Game. I know players rarely play Basic Games, but it was a good warm-up exercise for me before diving into the Master Game rules.

Feel free to put the Compiled Basic Game Guide under a microscope and give me some feedback. Note that I have intentionally left out wording that deals with rules for how to build a battlefield. That will come later. Also, I am aware that I have some CSS work to do so that the pages are more printer-friendly (actually the entire site needs this improvement).

Last edited by GaryLASQ; June 15th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:36 PM

TMRose is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I plasy basic game with my son(Got to get them hooked before they are to old.) But thumbs up on your site,
Old February 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRose View Post
I plasy basic game with my son(Got to get them hooked before they are to old.) But thumbs up on your site,
That's very cool TMRose. When my son first got the game Christmas 2004, when he was 8 years old, we played 4 or 5 Basic Games.

I still feel there is a lot of potential in the Basic Game, but there are a couple "fixes" I would do to the rules if I were king for a day.

1) Introduce height on the Basic side of the Army Card and just use it for restricting the figure from moving down to a much lower level (no falling), and use it for reach restriction when doing range-1 melee attacks (don't introduce the term engaged or leaving engagement attacks).

2) Introduce 1 special ability, and that would be Flying by putting some type of Flying symbol on the Basic side of Army Card and explain Flying in the Basic Guide. (For now just use the Master Card side to see if it has Flying or Stealth Flying and apply Flying to the figure in the Basic Game.)

Last edited by GaryLASQ; February 25th, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM

Dargoth is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Nice ideas for the basic game. I've thought of changing the rules so that double spaced figures require two hits to destroy instead of one. If only one more skull than shield is rolled against a double-spacer, than place a wound marker on the card and reduce the stats by 1 (or more if preferred). If a difference of two or more are rolled, then destroy the figure as usual.
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Spin Master

The first drafts of the "compiled guides" for the Basic Game and Master Game are done. I have also updated the ZIP download of the site (found on the Home page).

I'll get around to doing the CSS work needed to make these full guides more printer-friendly (the entire site needs this improvement). But first I want to get the Battlefield Building Guide and Glossary done.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; June 15th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Spin Master

First draft of the Compiled Basic Game Guide, Full Master Game Guide, Full Battlefield Building Guide and Glossary are done. I have also updated the ZIP download of the site (found on the Home page).

Last edited by GaryLASQ; June 15th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRose View Post
That's very cool TMRose. When my son first got the game Christmas 2004, when he was 8 years old, we played 4 or 5 Basic Games.

I still feel there is a lot of potential in the Basic Game, but there are a couple "fixes" I would do to the rules if I were king for a day.

1) Introduce height on the Basic side of the Army Card and just use it for restricting the figure from moving down to a much lower level (no falling), and use it for reach restriction when doing range-1 melee attacks (don't introduce the term engaged or leaving engagement attacks).

2) Introduce 1 special ability, and that would be Flying by putting some type of Flying symbol on the Basic side of Army Card and explain Flying in the Basic Guide. (For now just use the Master Card side to see if it has Flying or Stealth Flying and apply Flying to the figure in the Basic Game.)
This is how my youngest and I play the basic game. Speaking at least for my kids, they never could keep track of more than one or two special abilities at a time. They also tend to do well with short games. Anything over 5 turns and they lose focus. (So if I really want to win, I pick 12 turn scenarios )

Not one step backwards!
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:28 AM
Spin Master

I recently spent several hours pouring over the character stats (especially the special powers) on my HS web site, looking for any spelling errors or incorrect information I might have made when copying the official Army Card information to my site.

I found and corrected several errors. For example, I must have originally copied Swamp Water Tunnel from the Marro Drudge info already on my site to get Water Tunnel for the Water Elemental's card (instead of typing it out). However, Swamp Water Tunnel does take leaving engagement attacks while Water Tunnel does not. I did not make that adjustment until just now.

The Army Card stats on my site should be 99.99% error free. The only differences you should find, when compared to the Army Cards, are reflective of any errata listed on the latest official FAQ. (Plus a couple places where the official cards use the word "effect" when they should have used the word "affect".)

Sorry it took so long to do a double-triple check of all the character info on my site ... better late than never I guess.

I'll update the Partial Download file for my site in a day or two...

Last edited by GaryLASQ; October 8th, 2023 at 11:29 AM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:33 PM
Spin Master

I have added Dungeon Adventure 3: Shadow Cavern. As mentioned by theGuru, this set of scenarios is "very rough", so I imagine some small corrections/adjustments will be made later.

Also, the download file of my site has been updated.

I keep talking about making sure the whole site is printer friendly, so that's what I plan to do next...

Last edited by GaryLASQ; August 1st, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:50 PM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

Great site Gary. I use it as a resource frequently. Great Job!
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Yup, continued props to you Gary - you are much appreciated!

~Aldin, resource intensively

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedim Kabal View Post
Using Version 22.0.1229.94 m of Chrome, after once viewing a map, any second map viewed will be displayed in greyscale. Refreshing the page will cause it to display correctly.
Just got around to observing this Chrome issue (I'm usually using FireFox). Looks like the CSS related to the SVG markup of the battlefields breaks for some reason. I'll see what I can do...

Also, I've recently started playing with (for fun not for work) a new web development tool called Saxon-JS. I plan to work it into my HS site to make it more interactive. I might even use Saxon-CE to revive the tool I once created for building an army (which died when the FireFox XForms add-on died.) However, I still have no plans for maintaining a database where users can control their own content.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; March 6th, 2022 at 04:05 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion