Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old February 19th, 2020, 08:22 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!
Sheet Metal + Magnets for Figure Transport?

I like to bring a few hundred figures to game night, but I cringe whenever my figures in plastic drawers have to endure a pothole I neglected to dodge. I was considering foam, but someone suggested rare earth magnets under the bases, with sheet metal in the bottom of a plastic bin. It seems like it would allow for the most figures to stand upright, as I hate seeing my HS figures lying on their side, even if it is foam.

I have next to zero experience with this (the @Rocktroll Hydra mod except I tried to go farther down the neck without realizing that would require bigger magnets lol).

There is a empty space under the bases, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience/helpful tips before I trial a few figures. One of the things I was thinking about is should I use the ridges under the base or go around them?

Thanks in advance!
Old January 3rd, 2023, 02:11 PM

patzymur knows what's in an order marker patzymur knows what's in an order marker
Re: Sheet Metal + Magnets for Figure Transport?

Nearly 2 years and this post hasn't received a reply. I just became aware of this idea via other miniature sets for storage, display, transport, and painting (mini's stick to the painting pedestal via magnets). I love the idea, and Heroscape is my biggest mini collection.
@yamissflash - did you yourself explore, and now can provide advice to one who's putting on your shoes?
@every one - anyone else have experience with this, especially with heroscape figures?

If I don't see any replies, I'll dig in myself and report where I get.

Thanks!

Namaste,
'zymur
Old January 4th, 2023, 02:48 AM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzymur View Post
Nearly 2 years and this post hasn't received a reply. I just became aware of this idea via other miniature sets for storage, display, transport, and painting (mini's stick to the painting pedestal via magnets). I love the idea, and Heroscape is my biggest mini collection.
@yamissflash - did you yourself explore, and now can provide advice to one who's putting on your shoes?
I ended up not doing the sheet metal because:
1. I didn’t like the idea of gluing of magnets on my figures bases, felt like I was devaluing them.
2. Some concern that people would pull figures off their bases by pulling from the figure rather than the base if I made the magnets too strong. (since I’m letting other people who don’t have a collection use my figures and I have very little experience with minis and magnets, it seemed bound to happen.
3. Heroscape bases are beveled, which makes it really hard to pull from the base.
4. Getting the correct strength magnet for figure of varying weights might not easy. Although there is a weights list which would have helped.
5. If several figures come off the metal there isn’t much stopping them from hitting the other figures, (now heavier with the magnets) although this may be unnecessary worry on my part.
6. No response here on HSers and not having a physical example to try out was not encouraging. I didn’t do a full test, just put the magnets on without gluing them (left over from Hydra Mod I think)
7. A partial solution to #2 & #3 is to have the magnets stick out a little, but then I would expect the magnets to scratch the terrain. And it might look silly.

For the reasons above I wasn’t excited about it, so the project stalled until I happened to find some materials lying around the house so I ended up doing egg cartons+circles cut in short height foam (more detail if you want it in the spoiler):

Spoiler Alert!

If you end up going with sheet metal post it here. I didn’t do a full test and didn’t know anyone with a real life example with Heroscape bases so maybe my reasons for not doing it are actually not as bad as I think.

I hadn’t thought of the pedestal idea, that would solve a bunch of issues, since you would only need a little bit of metal rather than a full magnet under the base and it would naturally create a gap that would be more intuitive to pick up a figure from, with only a little bit of space sacrifice.

Last edited by yamissflash; January 4th, 2023 at 03:15 AM.
Old January 4th, 2023, 05:18 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't use this on Heroscape ... yet. But I use them for storage not travel. I put magnets on the bottom of my Blood Bowl figures (roughly 300 of them) and use cookie sheets for four team. Both Heroscape and Blood Bowl figures are beveled in roughly the same manor.
These are relatively weak metal magnets (from amazon sold in small boxes of 200 - pretty sure if they're not earth magnets but it's '3x2mm mini magnets for multi use') that will hold a medium sized figure upside down. And yes, if I turn the sheet over and it's only small to medium plastic figures they hold onto the cookie sheet quite well.
The main idea was to pull a 4 team division to the game table in one shot and prevent a free for all falling if I gave a sharp smack to a cookie sheet as I walked past or stood up from fumbling below that shelf and hit the sheet with my head. So kind of similar to hitting a pothole I guess.
The larger heavier figures fall off unless you use a bunch of these magnets. I tend to use two for the big guy on the team or the older metal figures. The most I've used is 5 for an old ogre lead figure but it will does stop them from falling of if you turn the tray upside down. For my purpose of transferring a division of four teams from one area of the basement to another, it's fantastic.
Each sheet can hold about 84 medium sized figures if packed close.

So to respond to each of your points.
1. I didn’t like the idea of gluing of magnets on my figures bases, felt like I was devaluing them. - I can't argue this...I don't intend on selling them so devaluing figures isn't a concern for me.

2. Some concern that people would pull figures off their bases by pulling from the figure rather than the base if I made the magnets too strong. (since I’m letting other people who don’t have a collection use my figures and I have very little experience with minis and magnets, it seemed bound to happen. - The magnets I use just aren't that strong.

3. Heroscape bases are beveled, which makes it really hard to pull from the base. - Once the magnets are attached...they're attached. Kind of the point to using them but again if you plan on selling, it could be a pain.

4. Getting the correct strength magnet for figure of varying weights might not easy. Although there is a weights list which would have helped. - You don't want the magnet to overpower use so I'd stay away from the strong earth magnets.

5. If several figures come off the metal there isn’t much stopping them from hitting the other figures, (now heavier with the magnets) although this may be unnecessary worry on my part. - A 3x2mm magnet will not affect the weight enough to cause more damage.

6. No response here on HSers and not having a physical example to try out was not encouraging. I didn’t do a full test, just put the magnets on without gluing them (left over from Hydra Mod I think) - The Hydra would require several magnets and even then the larger figures slide to the side of the tray before coming off when you're testing the magnets and trays by rotating them upside down. I haven't seen a large figure come of by my bashing it accidentally yet. Give me and my clumsiness time and I'm sure that'll happen.

7. A partial solution to #2 & #3 is to have the magnets stick out a little, but then I would expect the magnets to scratch the terrain. And it might look silly. - I haven't tried this on a heroscape figure yet but I don't believe the tiny magnets would stick out from under the beveled bases...customs with solid bottom bases would be an issue.

Hope this helps.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; January 4th, 2023 at 05:54 AM. Reason: It'll probably be another year or two if I ever get around to magnetizing Heroscape.
Old January 7th, 2023, 04:10 PM

patzymur knows what's in an order marker patzymur knows what's in an order marker

Thanks @yamissflash and @AMIS!

I get all of the points, especially devaluing them from their pristine collectable state. But I'm more in agreement with AMIS that I don't plan on selling. And, my main thought is if I can come up with a better storage system that makes it easier to get what I want out, then it will get used much more.

I'm going to keep exploring. Right now I'm thinking from a price to functionality perspective to use rolled roof flashing as a magnetic platform, and Really Useful brand stackable boxes for storage. I never thought of cookie sheets tho! That might be another really cost effective options, which would require figuring out some sort of shelving.

One big question I had was how to make the magnets flush with the ground given different miniatures have different clearances under their bases. The elegant solution is to use a bead of modeling clay with a couple dabs of superglue, as shown here:

One set of miniatures that I have has a very shallow recess. I've ordered some 1mm depth magnets from Amazon, which is the thickest I can use with those guys. So, when those magnets come in, I'll continue to experiment.

Namaste,
'zymur
Old January 8th, 2023, 11:53 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I super glue directly to the bases as I hate the idea of pulling putty from the terrain. I've had no issues except for the thin clearance bases or no clearance bases. Then I re-base.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; January 8th, 2023 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Why add cost with putty?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions