Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old April 5th, 2021, 04:19 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Gen Con 2021

Good Morning,

As many of you know Raider30, Lonewolf, Orcelfarmyone (or whatever the crap his name is now), and myself are the Gencon organizers and we (or at least a variation of we) have been doing so since 2012. We have immensely enjoyed interacting with all of you at Gencon and have come to call many of you friends. I can speak for all 3.5 of us when I say you guys are by far the best gaming community that we have had the privilege of interacting with. We continue to do what we do because of you guys. Time and time again you all have shown us what it's like to be a part of an amazing community.

As all of you know COVID has been quite the pain in the butt for over the past year. It put a stop to so many things including Gencon 2020. We were very proud that this community was able to pull off online events to help the community still enjoy some aspects of Gencon despite the global pandemic last year. As the pandemic continues to ebb and flow, and hopefully continue to trend down we hope things will soon get back to some sort of normalcy. As most of you know Gencon 2021 has made several announcements about what they hope to accomplish this year. The information we have isn't super clear but we do know that they moved the dates to September, they are limiting the number of people attending in person, and are trying to do some sort of hybrid in person, online, and FLGS events. This last week Gencon sent out an e-mail to their "Elite" organizers asking if they would be interested in attending in 2021, even though they couldn't even say whether table top games would be happening for sure and if it was, it would be greatly distanced. After much discussion with the 3.5 of us we do not feel that it is appropriate for us at this time to run events at Gencon this year in 2021. I know this greatly disappoints many of you and in fact may upset many of you, as the 3.5 of us have already ran through the emotional gambit of feelings (well those of us that actually have feelings) that this decision generates.

But..Ken, why? why don't you want to run heroscape at gencon?
1. We just don't think that the "plans" they have in place are feasible for our beloved game. We don't want some watered down Diet Mountain Dew version. Gen Con heroscape is sacred and we feel that these "restrictions" (which we 100% understand why they are doing them) just don't work for our game.
2. Without knowing who can come (are they going to have a lottery system?) and not having enough space if any to build more than a handful of maps just doesn't make sense for this game.
3. With variants all over the place, it might not even be safe to try and get 20,000 people together in an enclosed space. 20,000 is a guess but that's 1/4 (ish) of what it was in 2019 and that's still a crap ton of people.
4. September is not a good time for many people (including the organizers) with school and other fall activities

Though there is some positives here. We really do have a great line up of events that we want you guys to experience. We will be waiting eagerly for Gencon 2022. Also as we understand things Gencon wants the community to be involved with "pop up" sites ala FLGS. We want to partner with you guys in this. We commit to send prize support to any of you guys who organize some of these pop up events. Here are the rules:
1. Must be advertised on heroscapers.com
2. Must have 8+ attendees
3. Must happen between the time the original Gencon dates (Aug 4) and the new Gencon dates (Sep 19).
4. PM Lonewolf and myself the link to your post about the event at least week ahead of time so we can ensure you have a prize before the event. One prize per event.

We don't know for sure what the prize will be. We are hoping dice but our guy with the laser cutter can't do it this year so we are looking into alternatives and have several other ideas in the works, but we do promise to have something. This also goes for anything the online guys some up with. We will make sure to provide support for their event(s) as well.

Thank you all for being such wonderful people. This was not an easy decision to come to but one that we feel is definitely best at this point in time. We were debating on whether to get "clearer" directions from Gencon before making this decision but those of you who have worked with Gencon know that's probably not happening any time soon and we felt that the sooner you guys knew this the better it was for all of you so you can make any decisions you need to make regarding Gencon 2021. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Thank you so much!

Michael and I will be releasing a shortened CoV episode in the next week or so going into a bit more details about this decision. I'll post a link (or at least try to) when it's up and ready to go.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old April 5th, 2021, 04:40 PM

BasketBasket knows what's in an order marker BasketBasket knows what's in an order marker
Thumbs up Re: Gen Con 2021

Hey, I'm new to the site and although I have never attended a Gencon, I Just wanted to say that I think you guys are doing what's best. Safety matters despite this obviously not being fun.

I wish you and your team the best - its not easy being an organizer, especially when you bear bad news.
Old April 5th, 2021, 06:56 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker
Re: Gen Con 2021

Quote:
Gen Con heroscape is sacred
Truth!

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old April 5th, 2021, 07:44 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for all you do! I think this is the safest at this time with so many unknowns. I was out after the time change, as I think a chunk of us were. I trust you guys to make the best decisions for the Gencon portion of our community, and I appreciate it. I think I might run an event here in Michigan later in August. I can be a "pop up" site, but do not know (obviously) if the local game store can host. I will work on it and get more information from you later. thanks again!!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old April 5th, 2021, 07:54 PM

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmuskie View Post
Thanks for all you do! I think this is the safest at this time with so many unknowns. I was out after the time change, as I think a chunk of us were. I trust you guys to make the best decisions for the Gencon portion of our community, and I appreciate it. I think I might run an event here in Michigan later in August. I can be a "pop up" site, but do not know (obviously) if the local game store can host. I will work on it and get more information from you later. thanks again!!
I guess I should clarify, it doesn't have to be at a FLGS. It you want to have it in your basement, that would still count.

Old April 5th, 2021, 08:21 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

Good call here. Also, on the plus side, this will be a fun way for those of us who have not attended a Gencon (cough cough...... myself) to "participate" in the 2021 Gencon. Thanks for all you guys do.

H E R O S C A P E
Old April 5th, 2021, 11:54 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Thanks for everything! I will try to get something together at the house of my friend who used to own a FLGS but now operates out of his home.

Old April 5th, 2021, 11:56 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Very smart. I'll run a qualifying event. I can't wait!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 6th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

A few "Elite" questions

By not attending this year do you guys lose you spot in line? You know for a better spot down the road. I know priority points are EVERYTHING with GC

Not sure if you can share in more detail but did the actual e-mail say that there was aa good possibility of no table top gaming this year?

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old April 6th, 2021, 10:29 AM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
A few "Elite" questions

By not attending this year do you guys lose you spot in line? You know for a better spot down the road. I know priority points are EVERYTHING with GC

Not sure if you can share in more detail but did the actual e-mail say that there was aa good possibility of no table top gaming this year?
We were specifically told that our status this year does not affect future years at all. I have 2 separate emails from the Events Director stating this. We have been running events with them for 15 years and we always have good attendance....that is why we are Elite.

They said there could be tables games....spaced apart...with masks.....maybe. We just can't count on that with Heroscape.

A big concern is if we get everything ramped up on our side and find out somewhere down the down the road that table games aren't going to be there or that we only get to set up 6 maps. At that point what are we doing? We want Gencon Heroscape to be awesome like it always is. Hopefully next year things are back to a more normal setting and we can do we what we do!
Old April 6th, 2021, 11:35 AM

I also really, really want to encourage all of you to run a local tourney or a mini con with your buddies. It's really not difficult, I mean I figured it out so it can't be hard.

I would love for all the bigger scenes (Peoria, Utah, Michigan, Texas, Louisville, California, the Northeast) to all represent local tourneys during the "Gen Con" time frame. Also I would love for this to be a jumping off spot for maybe some of you that have thought about running an event but just weren't sure about logistics, etc. Maybe you could start a new heroscape scene locally.

Also running a mini con isn't too tough either: find some buddies, rent an air bnb, figure out how you want to handle food, and decide on what games you're going to play. It's simple really and an absolute blast. You can even schedule different tournaments if you want. Heck, we had a speed painting contest at the last Kencon and I'm sure it'll make an appearance at Kencon 3.0.

If you guys are interested in running something but don't know how to start, shoot me a PM. I would love to try and help you walk through it. You really can do it, like I said I figured it out, so it can't be that tough.

Anyway, Be safe and play some heroscape!

Old April 6th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Must say the decision doesn't surprise me. Wife and I were just talking about Gencon the other day and trying to figure out how we could do HeroScape with distancing - if lucky we'd have 1/4th of the normal number of maps in the same space as we would normally have.

Hmm... I may consider doing a small tournament. Now to just find enough terrain to put together 1/2 dozen maps or so.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con