Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Greater Than The Sum Of Its Parts: A 450pt Army Challeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post

1. Do Soulborgs Dream Of Electric Yeti?
Deathwalker 9000: 140
Zettian Guards: 70
Warden 816: 90
Dzu-Teh x2: 150

Total: 450pts, 10 hexes.

The Dzu-Teh act as bodyguards against high-attack melee figures getting at DW9K/Zettians (idea stolen from killercactus and his Obsidian Guard theories) while they do most of the attacking. Warden 816 cleans up.
I really want to squeeze the Obsidian Guards in here somewhere. Maybe drop the Dzu-Teh for Obsidian Guards and Tarn Vikings? You gain some mobility but lose the common redundancy...

Oh, better, yet! Swap the Dzu-Teh for 6 Dumutef Guards...oh, maybe not better...they'd get Warden's movement bonus, though...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Quote:

1. Do Soulborgs Dream Of Electric Yeti?
Deathwalker 9000: 140
Zettian Guards: 70
Warden 816: 90
Dzu-Teh x2: 150

Total: 450pts, 10 hexes.

The Dzu-Teh act as bodyguards against high-attack melee figures getting at DW9K/Zettians (idea stolen from killercactus and his Obsidian Guard theories) while they do most of the attacking. Warden 816 cleans up.
I really want to squeeze the Obsidian Guards in here somewhere. Maybe drop the Dzu-Teh for Obsidian Guards and Tarn Vikings? You gain some mobility but lose the common redundancy...

Oh, better, yet! Swap the Dzu-Teh for 6 Dumutef Guards...oh, maybe not better...they'd get Warden's movement bonus, though...

Brandon
Switching the Obsidians in for a 500pt army would be perfect, but I'd be reluctant to use a single squad of them. The Dumutef-heavy version would be sweet though.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
150 Anubian Wolves x2
160 Wolves of Badru x2
75 Khosumet the Darklord
50 Dumutef Guard x2
20 Marcu Essenwein
455, 18 hexes

5 points over, but Isamu just isn't as pretty a fit. Anubian wolves next to a Dumutef and Khosumet get two extra attack.
How about this to get under the limit?

Anubian Wolves x4: 300
Khosumet: 75
Dumutef Guards x2: 50
Marcu: 20

Total: 445pts, 15 hexes.
Well, you lose the Khosumet Bonding, which means you probably don't ever bother activating him unless everything else is dead, which makes him a 75 point glyph of Lodin. Plus, the WoB give you a sort-of ranged attack. Given the choice, I'd take the Isamu army.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
150 Anubian Wolves x2
160 Wolves of Badru x2
75 Khosumet the Darklord
50 Dumutef Guard x2
20 Marcu Essenwein
455, 18 hexes

5 points over, but Isamu just isn't as pretty a fit. Anubian wolves next to a Dumutef and Khosumet get two extra attack.
How about this to get under the limit?

Anubian Wolves x4: 300

Total: 445pts, 15 hexes.
Well, you lose the Khosumet Bonding, which means you probably don't ever bother activating him unless everything else is dead, which makes him a 75 point glyph of Lodin. Given the choice, I'd take the Isamu army.
True. Maybe:

Anubian Wolves x3: 225
Wolves of Badru x1: 80

Total 450pts, 18 hexes.

To include a bonding squad for a hero you plan to use anyway is one of my few exceptions to the at-least-two-of-any-common rule.

Alternatively:

Anubian Wolves x5: 375

Total: 445pts, 20 hexes.

Who cares about losing the odd wolf here and there if you've got fifteen of them?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Anubian Wolves x3: 225
Wolves of Badru x1: 80

Total 450pts, 18 hexes.

To include a bonding squad for a hero you plan to use anyway is one of my few exceptions to the at-least-two-of-any-common rule.
I like it. Suitably underpowered, lots of synergy, requires very creative play.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Anubian Wolves x5: 375

Total: 445pts, 20 hexes.

Who cares about losing the odd wolf here and there if you've got fifteen of them?
That many wolves can be devastating with some reasonable luck, perhaps more effective than you'd like against a newcomer.

(I don't think the wolves are bad because they never win, but because they either dominate or get dominated. Similar to a frenzy army.)

I could certainly be wrong, but something to consider given your goals at the event.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

When I'm teaching people, I'm partial to using an all hero team (because when can you get away with using an all-hero team competitively?). This is the type of army I like to use:

The Valhalla Avengers - You've got long range, tough defense, special attacks, you can even move multiple figures per turn (with Brunak)... all with multiple attacks. I like playing this kind of group a lot, even in more competitively minded games... it's just fun to play.
Kaemon Awa - 120
Raelin(SOTM) - 120
Brunak - 110
Syvarris - 100
Total = 450 pts
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb View Post
When I'm teaching people, I'm partial to using an all hero team (because when can you get away with using an all-hero team competitively?). This is the type of army I like to use:

The Valhalla Avengers - You've got long range, tough defense, special attacks, you can even move multiple figures per turn (with Brunak)... all with multiple attacks. I like playing this kind of group a lot, even in more competitively minded games... it's just fun to play.
Kaemon Awa - 120
Raelin(SOTM) - 120
Brunak - 110
Syvarris - 100
Total = 450 pts
But don't you want to show the new guy some squads? And that army would have totally crushed me when I was new.

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Are talking inexperienced players? Or people who have never seen Heroscape before?

Anyway, I do like themed armies in such cases because they are more visually appealing to the newcomer. Having simple synergies is nice because they will see the same effects several times allowing for a deeper learning process.

A couple ideas
Kyrie Cake Squad
Einer Imp x2
Koiva
Raelin (rotv) (or another hero of choice worth 80 points)

All flying bird people. Will look cool in the start zone. Somewhat slow moving, big teeth. If done properly can show off some units with big teeth but fragile skins.

Or

Marro Lunch Ladies
Tor-Kul-Na
Marrden Nagrubs x 3 (90 points)
Leaving 140 points to pick a couple other marro heroes.
Such as....
Me-Burg-Sa (50)
Kee-Mo-Shi (130)
Wo-Ga-Sa (135)

All marro army looks cool, some easy bonding with egg head, and some fillers. If you want, maybe dropping a nagrub and bring in the hive. Not exactly competitive, but should be fun.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
Tor-Kul-Na
Marrden Nagrubs x 3 (90 points)
Wo-Ga-Sa (135)
That's a nice one - hurt by lack of range but entertaining to play.

The all-hive army almost works out, but it breaks the bank by 10 points:

160 Marro Hive
300 Marro Drudge/Drones x6

I guess you could drop one squad and plug in some filler:

160 Marro Hive
150 Marro Drones x3
120 Marro Stingers x2
20 Marcu Essenwein
450, 22 hexes

Calling any army with stingers in it "underpowered" seems absurd, but only 15 squad figures is a pretty low count to be working with, even with hive rebirth.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM

TemplarMaster has disabled reputation

Another 450 point army that you could use is:
2x Grok Riders 260pt
Me-Burq-Sa 50pt
Ne-Gok-Sa 90pt
Marro Warriors 50pt
Send out each warlord with a squad of Groks. MW as cleanup
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:19 PM

2xHero knows what's in an order marker 2xHero knows what's in an order marker

All right, I came up with some.

First off, is a Blade Grut army.

3x Blade Gruts 120
Grimnak 240
Charos 450

I really like Blade Gruts, and Charos works well with them as a tank or a heavy hitter.

Next is a knight-based army.

2x KoW 140
Finn 220
Thorgrim 300
Sir Dupuis 450

You can move your entire army each round, Dupuis can do some massive attacks, and knights are just awesome.

Then, I have another marro army.

4x Marro Drones 200
Su-Bak-Na 360
3x Nagrubs 450

You get a lot of decent figures. They can do a lot of damage, but only have so-so defense, especially for melee figures.

Finally, I have a crazy Roman army.

2x Roman Legos 100
2x Roman Archers 210
Marcus 310
Then with 140 points:
Sudema
DW9K
or 1x EI

This one actually has range! I am not quite sure how to finish it, though. DW9K wouldn't be that useful once your Legos get engaged. Sudema is entirely luck based, but can threated heroes of any size. However, that is somewhat redundant with the Roman Archers special attack. The EI are soldiers, too, but they die pretty easily.

Last edited by 2xHero; February 2nd, 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion