Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old May 18th, 2019, 11:20 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
[AotV] Unit Mechanics

In keeping with the goal of diversity of all 24 units in the set, I felt it was a good idea to open a thread where we can discuss how many times we should (or shouldn’t use) various mechanics in the game.

Special Attackers - RotV actually had 3 Special Attacks through 16 units. Without trying to create a perfect ratio of SA’s to Units, I think we can get away with 4 or 5 Special Attacks in this set since we have 24 units.

Now, likely Special Attackers based on the current workshops and the brainstorming thread indicate that we have 2 Special Attackers already: The Eldrazi Ruiner and Chandra. A potential 3rd could be Jace.

Flyers - Flying is one of those things that are generally determined by the mini, but we can incorporate other flyers based upon what the unit calls for, like Vampires having Flying.

We already have 2 Guaranteed Flyers with Ob Nixilis and the Pheonixes. The Lantern Geists will likely also have Flying. I don’t think we should have too many more figures that are dedicated to flying here after that. Maybe a Vampire, but I’d be ok without it.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:06 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [AotV] Unit Mechanics

I haven't seen a convincing Special Attack for Jace yet, but the numbers (4-5 total) check out.

I think you may be correct that Ob, Phoenixes, and Geists may be our only fliers, which sounds acceptable (RotV only had Mimring and Raelin, so that's right in line, though as you say it's really up to the minis).

A few other mechanics to keep in mind:

Additional movement: we're already talking about this for both the Ruiner and the Phantoms (only Tarn really count for RotV, Airborne maybe and Marro Warriors if you really want to stretch).

d20 powers: I don't think we're in danger of overdoing these so far, but it is something we should use in moderation (5 units in RotV -> 7-8 here).

Finally, this guy:

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:16 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Avacyn (the angel statue) is also a likely candidate for flying if I remember correctly, although perhaps the design will stray away from it if it's made out of stone. If either Sorin or Nahiri do become vampires, we could always stray away from flying with the right theme.

I don't think we've really been discussing a Special Attack for either Cyberpunk Jace or Illusionist Jace. Neither seem like they really need it to me from a first glance.
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:20 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Forgot about Avacyn, but she is likely in my opinion. I haven't been swayed toward adding a vampire somewhere (preferably we can explore historical angles for those figures).

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:21 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I missed Avacyn as a probable flyer, but that’s well within reason.

RotV had 4 cheerleaders, although 3 of them serve other purposes. 1 straight cheerleader sounds about right, but having 4-6 units with a tacked on cheerleader power probably will be fine.

Jace and/or Illusions will likely have a movement power as well, so we should start to be wary of those.

Notably, we only have 1 self-booster right now in Cyberpunk Jace. We can probably get away with another 1 or 2, since we do have so many units.

Resurrects we should keep down, imo. The Pheonixes make sense. Maybe Lily as a Necromancer if thats the direction their pod wants. I wouldn’t consider a one-turn raise all zombies for an attack as a resurrect.

OM play is something that hasn’t been done in the official MS’s. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it here though. ‘Scape has advanced mechanically, so I’d say a unit who’s primary thing is to screw with OM’s is welcome. Maybe 2, but only maybe.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:22 PM
I could go

Also, someone suggested a special attack for Jace in the Brainstorming thread, so I included it as a possibility.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 19th, 2019, 04:45 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Forgot about Avacyn, but she is likely in my opinion. I haven't been swayed toward adding a vampire somewhere (preferably we can explore historical angles for those figures).
I personally prefer the loose take on Vlad the Impaler for Sorin and a gladiator for Nahiri to get some historical themes in the set, but the pale skin makes them likely candidates for vampires should their pods take them down that route. It's something that we should keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
OM play is something that hasn’t been done in the official MS’s. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it here though. ‘Scape has advanced mechanically, so I’d say a unit who’s primary thing is to screw with OM’s is welcome. Maybe 2, but only maybe.
We already have a glyph focused on OMs as well. I'm okay with an OM-focused unit (and potentially a second one if both designs are very distinct and equally compelling), but we shouldn't make too many of those.
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:02 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I like the thinking behind and in this thread.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 24th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

This thread does not just point out something of great importance, it doesn't go far enough.

Aside from what's listed, there are other very basic design decisions that need to be made at the high level. If 90% of the units are ~100pt heroes with 4 Attack/4 Defense that fight for Jandar, we have a very lame product. Someone should be overlording this project from a high level to ensure a variety of point costs, generals, powers, unit roles, etc.
Old June 25th, 2019, 09:39 PM

That's absolutely something we'll all be keeping in mind. Good to have it here so we don't forget.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 29th, 2019, 08:35 AM
I could go

We’ll definately have to watch that, Scy.

I brought something along the lines of that in Cyberpunk Jace’s thread, mentioning that units need a variety of attack scores.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:35 AM

Stat spreads and roles do need variety, too. I often tried to push beyond 5/6/2/3 Ranged units and 5/1/3/4 melee units in C3V (which are far to common). I like the consciousness of a "defender" role for Gideon, even if it's not settled or doesn't end up in that direction.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs