Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old May 18th, 2019, 06:52 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Jace, Investigator) - Design

I like 4 defense. Couldn’t tell you on cost. Mindjack makes him hard to price.
Old May 18th, 2019, 07:01 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Some very quick and shoddy probability work tells me that Mindjack is about as likely to work against a 3 defense hero as Enslave is without an attack boost, and is a little more likely if you take the extra NE dice. Against 4 defense, it's less likely than enslave unless you enhance, in which case it's more likely.

NE also makes his offensive potential a little higher. He lacks the OM removal of the Mindflayer, but I'd still say he comes in at a slightly higher price bracket. 110 (with 4 defense), maybe?
Old May 18th, 2019, 07:48 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
An autowound for +2 attack is a risky trade, imo. Mindjack helps a lot though. Testing will tell a lot more.
Agreed, but going the other way (2 base with +3 from NE) makes the decision-making too one-sided, in my opinion. If we want to avoid throwing 6 dice at range, we don't have many options other than 3 base with +2. The prospect of a Mindjack of course makes the sacrifice more appealing.

My first impression says that 110 points is too low with 4D/5L, given his offensive potential, but the desire to wound yourself to boost your chances might balance that out. I'd be willing to test at that point value and adjust it as necessary.
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:15 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
An autowound for +2 attack is a risky trade, imo. Mindjack helps a lot though. Testing will tell a lot more.
Agreed, but going the other way (2 base with +3 from NE) makes the decision-making too one-sided, in my opinion. If we want to avoid throwing 6 dice at range, we don't have many options other than 3 base with +2. The prospect of a Mindjack of course makes the sacrifice more appealing.

My first impression says that 110 points is too low with 4D/5L, given his offensive potential, but the desire to wound yourself to boost your chances might balance that out. I'd be willing to test at that point value and adjust it as necessary.
We definitely have some room to mess with numbers. It's worth noting that Zetacron from height can throw effectively 6 dice at twice the range that this guy can. Of course, that's without Mindjack and drastically lower survivability.

I could see the 130-140 point range here as well, or we could adjust up to a +3 dice bonus if we're feeling the need to spice it up. I'm always inclined to avoid 120 points whenever possible simply because of how crowded that field is, but I'm much less concerned about that in a master set setting than I would be otherwise. We can also lower survivability by dropping life or defense to 4 or 3 respectively, though that makes a much swingier and delicate to play figure--not inherently a bad thing, but a relevant part of that consideration.
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:52 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I don’t mind making him expensive, just as long as you guys know that he will be expensive. 5L/3D is my preference for this guy, as 4D seems too high for a mage character.

I just wonder if people are going to see the wound as too much downside to want to use the power at all. Its already uncommon for new people to disengage even if it would put them in a better position.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 19th, 2019, 11:13 AM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

And Overextend is seemingly rarely ever worth it.
Old May 19th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Throwing 5 dice at range and potentially taking a turn with a powerful hero does imply that he'll be expensive to me, but I'm content to let that come through in playtesting. We should definitely test him against Nilfheim + Greenscales, Major Q9, and other "big" heroes that could be devastating to betray the other player for a turn. While Zetacron can deal more raw damage, I'm more concerned about what the Mindjacked heroes can do.

I don't agree that Overextend is rarely worth it. Both Eldgrim and Alastair MacDirk have reasons to Overextend (Eldgrim to reach a glyph in one turn and bring himself closer to death, and Alastair to take advantage of his strong 5 attack a second time). So long as the design provides a good incentive for placing a wound, it presents an interesting risk to the player.
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:30 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Current talking points added to the OP.

Whichever way we go on Neural Enhancement (placeholder name), I think we err toward caution and boost as needed. We can get away with a bigger boost if the self-wound is automatic, or if we stick to a small boost then we can tie it to the d20.

I'm kind of coming around to +2R/+1A and a d20 roll of 7, though. If auto-wound, maybe +1R/+2A to make both Range and Attack 5 for the enhanced attack.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 19th, 2019, 05:00 PM

I still like the idea of boosting move over range as mentioned earlier. I agree with the sentiment of starting low and increasing the strength of the boost as needed, though.
Old May 20th, 2019, 12:18 PM

Let’s also keep in mind an attack die as a wounding option, to help concerns about two d20 abilities.
Old May 20th, 2019, 02:17 PM

I do not think that an attack die for NE is truly different than a D20 with a roll of 11 or higher. Sure, it may look different, but it's still needless ornamentation in my opinion, and the design feels better off without the "take a chance to boost your chance to get a chance to take a turn with another figure."
Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:34 PM

I think we're close to being able to run some initial tests here. My personal preference is to start with 5 life, 3 defense and adjust from there.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs