Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old May 17th, 2019, 11:31 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Arena of the Valkyrie: New Master Set (Main Thread)

We won’t be “releasing” them as the C3V “packs”. Technically every unit has to go through a SECOND round of testing purely with the units within the box. This is to make sure everyone plays together nicely, because it is one big set. After that (much quicker) testing is done, everything will be considered released at once.

Sure, things that are “done” with standard testing/design probably will be good to go, but they won’t be “released” until everything is ready to go. Odds are the scenarios will be in the same boat. We also are planning on creating a rulebook pdf to go with the MS.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
We won’t be “releasing” them as the C3V “packs”. Technically every unit has to go through a SECOND round of testing purely with the units within the box. This is to make sure everyone plays together nicely, because it is one big set. After that (much quicker) testing is done, everything will be considered released at once.

Sure, things that are “done” with standard testing/design probably will be good to go, but they won’t be “released” until everything is ready to go. Odds are the scenarios will be in the same boat. We also are planning on creating a rulebook pdf to go with the MS.
Is this procedure written down somewhere? I'm not trying to be a bother, I'm just trying to understand what's going on here. Thanks!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:46 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:

Is this procedure written down somewhere? I'm not trying to be a bother, I'm just trying to understand what's going on here. Thanks!
You aren’t being a bother at all!

I *thought* it was in the OP here, but it may have been forgotten to lay out the exact idea. We had been brainstorming this project for a while already, so while the process we are going with is on Discord we made a mistake on ‘Scapers. I’ll see if we can’t lay everything out here shortly.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 17th, 2019, 01:02 PM
I could go

This Master Set (AotV) will combine contents of all 3 Mtg: AotP sets. While you can certainly enjoy most units right away out of the box, one of the squads will use figures from both the Master Set (Base) and Shadows over Innistrad (SoI) sets. The second, smaller, set Battle for Zendikar (BfZ) cannot be enjoyed alone as there is no terrain or game pieces in it, just miniatures. You will need to provide Order Markers or print the ones that we will be including the final pdf.

The full list of miniatures we will be using is here.

We may or may not be using the markers (Turn/Round Tracking Markers, Swords and Shield Markers, and the Charge Markers), from the sets. One of the Turn/Round Markers will be used for scenarios, as a Round Tracking Marker. SoI is the source of most of these markers.

All 6 Glyphs types (4 from the Base Set, and 2 from SoI) will be used for the Scenarios we are designing, however we will try to make sure they are fun and balanced enough for playing with them outside of this Master Set as well. They are black, instead of red, gold, or yellow.

The Cardboard Ruin Walls and the Crypoliths will be used as Line of Sight blockers, with the Crypoliths likely being Destructible Objects. Any specific rules or cards for these are still to be determined.

Scenarios using only the terrain pieces found in Standard Versions (not the Walmart Exclusive(s)) will be created. They will likely have terrain requirements that require both Base and SoI’s terrain. Different ways of using the Cardboard Sheets are still being tinkered with to ensure that Scenarios will be varied. Scenarios with terrain requirements from the other 3 Master Sets will also be designed (1 MS + AotV’s terrain will be the requirements).

All designs (Units, Glyphs, DO’s, Scenarios) will undergo 2 rounds of Playtesting. The first round will be General Playtesting, which will be where the majority of the testing will be. This is to test balance within the scope of the canon (both for Official and VC units). We will not be attempting to balance these units with Official Marvel, C3G, HoSS, HoF units (or any other project’s units). The second round of testing will be AotV-Inclusive testing. This testing will be much swifter, allowing only the units and glyphs within the Master Set to be used. This will ensure everything plays well together.

Finally, a fully printable rulebook will be made. This will likely be a pdf. A page with printable Order Markers will also be found in that pdf.

Several liberties were taken with this set, from unpainted figures to releasing it as one big Master Set.

The first liberty, using unpainted figures, was to create a bigger, better Master Set. Those units will have designs that make sense for their lack of paintjobs. We will release “prettier” versions of Army Cards with the figures having simple one-color paintjobs alongside the unpainted Army Cards. These units are aimed at improving the likelyhood that anyone who chooses to play the AotV set will have more units to play with.

The second, mixing figures from 2 AotP boxes to form 1 squad, was to improve diversity within the set. Traditional Heroscape’s strong suit is with its own diversity, whether that is in scenarios/units/battlefield customization. If sticking to only the original designs’s set ups, any potential player with only the AotV set would have missed the joy of a 4-man squad.

The third, only designing unique units, was to minimize the damage to a potential player’s bank account without damaging play experience. While the first 6 leads on the project may have had additional reasons, this reason is the one that is equally shared.

The fourth, to have the official release done all at once, instead of breaking it up between 3 different sets, was to maximize a player’s experience and still allow the designers the best chance at creating units they wanted to both create and play.

Maximizing play experience, while still being a completely standalone, approachable, set is the main goal of Arena of the Valkyrie.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA

Last edited by flameslayer93; May 17th, 2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Typos
Old May 17th, 2019, 05:05 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quite a bold project you have running here. I would be willing to lend my assistance to the project. Most importantly I can help with quality control, as I have a great deal of experience with that in VC. I can also help with reviewing design ideas.
In the rush that is life, I somehow missed this post. We’d be delighted to hear anything you’ve got to say Scytale!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 17th, 2019, 05:20 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

We may not have intentions to make the three boxes standalone from each other (all scenarios and designs are envisioned to be part of a single Master Set), but I can see the appeal of wanting to be able to just buy one box for a collection of units.

I don't think that it should be too difficult to create an alternate card for the Restless Zombies + Ghoul Vanguard four man squad using one of the other opaque black squad figures in the first box. The hitbox will be different, but that's something that I can live with, and it would be a nice option for everyone. That's the only case of one unit coming from more than one set to my knowledge, so it's worth the additional effort for anyone who would benefit.
Old May 17th, 2019, 05:38 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
We may not have intentions to make the three boxes standalone from each other (all scenarios and designs are envisioned to be part of a single Master Set), but I can see the appeal of wanting to be able to just buy one box for a collection of units.

I don't think that it should be too difficult to create an alternate card for the Restless Zombies + Ghoul Vanguard four man squad using one of the other opaque black squad figures in the first box. The hitbox will be different, but that's something that I can live with, and it would be a nice option for everyone. That's the only case of one unit coming from more than one set to my knowledge, so it's worth the additional effort for anyone who would benefit.
We can do that, but the Reavers (the other plain black minis) are already being used. Just a side note.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:22 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post

We can do that, but the Reavers (the other plain black minis) are already being used. Just a side note.
Ah, my mistake. I thought that the Blighted Reavers were the opaque squad that was deemed unsuitable. If we're using every black squad figure from the first box, then the only suitable proxy entirely from the same box would be using the Skirsdag Cultists + Ghoul Vanguard from Shadows Over Innistrad.
Old May 21st, 2019, 03:31 PM

Jaur0n is surprisingly tart

This is great news! I look forward to helping when there is something for the rest of us to do. (or point me in the right direction if I've missed what is already available to do).
Old May 21st, 2019, 03:42 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaur0n View Post
This is great news! I look forward to helping when there is something for the rest of us to do. (or point me in the right direction if I've missed what is already available to do).
Vote on who you want to see in the first pod, and then be ready to volunteer to join it! https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=55805

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:10 AM

Re: Announcing: Arena of the Valkyrie: New Master Set

As Scytale noted over in the Lantern Geists thread, we need to establish a clear editing gauntlet for units to go through before they can be approved. This shouldn't be a problem for most designs, but we want to ensure that rules issues or any ambiguity is avoided wherever possible. I'm pinging each Project Lead so they can see and contribute to this discussion. Of course, other people are still welcome to contribute as well.

@All Your Pie
@capsocrates
@flameslayer93
@Flash_19
@NecroBlade
@Pumpkin_King
@Scytale

A VC checklist was mentioned over there. If we are able to use that to verify things, it'd be a big help, but I'll leave that matter up to the current VC members to discuss. If we cannot use the list, then we should be prepared to make our own, I feel, and display it clearly to all Volunteers to try and avoid problems as soon as possible.

Also in the name of catching errors sooner rather than later, I think that we should have at least the two PLs for a unit, if not the entire group, verify a unit before it can officially enter a playtesting phase. We want to avoid wasting playtesting time whenever possible, but I also don't want a fear of errors to completely steer people off of a particularly compelling idea. I feel like this is a decent compromise between the two directions, giving pods a decent working space while ensuring that nothing slips through the cracks.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:13 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: Announcing: Arena of the Valkyrie: New Master Set

Scy said he didn’t mind his list being used here. I’d be happy to do a first editing pass, should he choose to PM me said list. Or I could forward it to whoever is PL on whatever unit.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs