Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

View Poll Results: Which bug bugs bugs bug you the least?
Atharm & Volucris Suicidium 8 44.44%
Insectar Queen & Guard 2 11.11%
Kkyal the Enforcer & Kraul Wing Soldier 3 16.67%
Kraal & Drone 2 11.11%
Mazierk, Kraul Necromancer & Golgari Vanguard 6 33.33%
Poxi Vespimic & Insect Drone 8 44.44%
Queen Ghuddedio & Kraul Grunt 2 11.11%
Queen Odonata & Feldspar Drone 3 16.67%
S'Kraax Queen & Drone 3 16.67%
Volaticus & Green Horned Warrior 3 16.67%
Vorelanj & Dread Locust Dragoon 8 44.44%
Xiphydri Commander & Drone 3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15th, 2019, 06:51 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Springtime Custom Competition Poll - Vote by 4/22

The entries are in and all that's left is for you to figure out which is the best. We've got bugs of all kinds here: queens, drones, workers, soldiers, larvae, the little legs in hot dogs, lousy lice, tricky ticks, pompous potato bugs... Maybe I got distracted there.

Anyway, it is, in fact, time to vote! Select the three submissions you think are the best. What does best mean? That's up to you! You really have all the power here. Discussion is heavily encouraged to help everyone analyze these as well as they can (and don't worry too much about anonymity, just try not to hint too heavily about which one is yours).

Remember that if you entered you are required to vote, and not allowed to vote for your own entry! Also, let me know via PM if there is any error with your entry (such as a forgotten bio, of which I am almost sure there is at least one).

@Lazy Orang 's Atharm & Volucris Suicidium

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

@Confred 's Insectar Queen and Guard

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

@flameslayer93 's Kkyal the Enforcer and Kraul Wing Soldier

@Heroscaper 101 's Kraal and Drone

Info:
Spoiler Alert!

Info:
Spoiler Alert!

@Skyver 's Mazirek, Kraul Necromancer and Golgari Vanguard

@Yodaking 's Poxi Vespimic and Insect Drone

@Iron Clubber 's Queen Ghuddedio and Kraul Grunt

@Arch-vile 's Queen Odonata and Feldspar Drone

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

@BiggaBullfrog 's S'Kraax Queen and Drone

@kolakoski 'sVolaticus and Green Horned Warrior

@All Your Pie 's Vorelanj and Dread Locust Dragoon

Info:
Spoiler Alert!

@Scytale 's Xiphydri Commander and Drone

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; May 3rd, 2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:09 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Springtime Custom Competition Poll - Vote by 4/22

Well met!

My 3 faves:

Atharm & Volucris Suicidium
So much text and Atharm is way under priced, but Suicidiums' Suicide Swarm/Sting Spear Special Attack and Atharm's Corpse Infestation/Larval Cannabilism create a cool dichotomous dynamic between death and life for the Suicidiums.

Vorelanj and Dread Locust Dragoon
Another text heavy entry with interesting mechanics. Blowfly Infestation is very cool. Mortal Shed seems of extremely limited usefulness.

Poxi Vespimic and Insect Drone
I like the way Poxi's Fortune's Favor works with his Drones and his Class mates (Predator). I'm assuming the individual Drones are meant to be Common Heroes (as opposed to Common Squad members according to their Card).

The others:

Insectar Queen and Guard
Over priced, both. Odd stats. Not my cup of nectar.

Kkyal the Enforcer and Kraul Wing Soldier
Confusing entry, from pricing to mechanics. Exoskeletons are fine, but what's with Exoskeletal Blast requiring the targeting of a Kraul Wing Soldier?

Kraal and Drone
Very fast, otherwise very conventional. Again, I get it, but it doesn't excite me.

Mazierk, Kraul Necromancer and Golgari Vanguard
Stupid strong units/powers and the "Common Hero" has 5 Life . . . ?

Queen Ghuddedio and Kraul Grunt
Pretty conventional. Common Hero's Defense of 1 . . . ?

Queen Odonata and Feldspar Drone
Wall of Thorns is interesting, but how does it fit thematically?

S'Kraax Queen and Drone
Other than a borrowing of Zogross' Tribal Protection, pretty conventional.

Volaticus and Green Horned Warrior
Different approach. Common Heroes borrow Green Horned Warrior Bonding from Wyrmlings, with Pheremone Phrenzy, substituting multiple mandatory attacks for the various ubiquitous Swarm type powers that work around the limitations of Common Heroes, turning them into the equivalent of Common Squads. Volaticus borrows Flutter directly from the Quorik Warwitch and the wording for Pheremone Phrenzy Enhancement from Khosumet. He is also a unique sort of Ullar Warlord, useful as such or even, in a pinch, standing alone. He's appropriately priced for his various roles. All kinds of cool ideas, but I couldn't quite bring myself to vote for them.

Xiphydri Commander and Drone
Very cheap, reflective of their stats, otherwise very conventional.

Old April 16th, 2019, 09:57 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

I like the way Poxi's Fortune's Favor works with his Drones and his Class mates (Predator). I'm assuming the individual Drones are meant to be Common Heroes (as opposed to Common Squad members according to their Card).

Mazierk, Kraul Necromancer and Golgari Vanguard
Stupid strong units/powers and the "Common Hero" has 5 Life . . . ?
Thanks again for the great post, kolakoski. As for the "Common Squad" error, that one's totally on me. It's fixed now.

As for the 5 Life Common Hero, that's because in AotP any figure can have multiple lives, since you just put the wound markers on the figures' bases.

Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old April 17th, 2019, 04:02 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

The % info at the end of the vote count doesn't really tell us anything new since it just gives you 10% for every vote you receive rather then show a percentage of the overall vote.

Another fun contest here though. I really like the idea of fielding a big army of insects against some orcs or elves.
Old April 17th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
The % info at the end of the vote count doesn't really tell us anything new since it just gives you 10% for every vote you receive rather then show a percentage of the overall vote.
I don't think it does - I think it just bases percentage off total voters rather than total votes (which still makes no sense and tells you nothing...). I can see why you'd get your impression, though - with 10 voters it does look as though each vote just counts for 10%.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 17th, 2019, 06:58 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'll go ahead and give my thoughts on these. I'm not entirely sure to what extent anonymity is important, but I'd almost certainly tip people off even if I tried to hide it. So instead I'll just say which is mine when I get to it, and put the whole list in a spoiler in case you don't want to know (or in case you don't want to read my critiques, which is totally fair as they sometimes turned out a bit harsh).

Spoiler Alert!
Old April 17th, 2019, 07:31 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Great designs. These are the three that got my votes.

Atharm & Volucris Suicidium - Sting Spear and the (nasty) larvae & cannabalism powers totally sell the theme of insects. Bug larvae are one of the few things that still gross me out, but this still got my vote, haha.

Kkyal the Enforcer & Kraul Wing Soldier - My personal favorite of the designs. It's nothing new individually but the combination of powers works really well. Exoskeletal Blast combined with Exoskeleton markers makes this a Pelloth-like design that could actually work.

Volaticus & Green Horned Warrior - Pheromone Phrenzy is a cool power, and the alliteration makes me chuckle. Volaticus being an Ullar Warlord gives him a nice niche with the Armocs or Romans as well.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 10:38 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Poll closes today - vote now. Note, I voted without looking at results first - but now I see it is a 3-way tie for lead - I am guessing there will be a fun run-off. There were so many great fun units that I could see being played, However as usual in order to narrow it down easier, my votes were based on:
1. Which units had synergy with other units besides the ones listed - i.e. other insects. However I threw out units I did not think were costed correctly.
2. Which ones were based on Magic:AotP.

I think you all can see who I voted for
Old April 22nd, 2019, 09:08 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Alright, so it looks like we have a 3 bug tie. That’s awesome!

My entries, Kkyal the Enforcer and Kraul Wing Soldier didn’t make the cut, but they got a few votes. Thanks to everyone who voted for em!

Now to answer a few queries...
@kolakoski - Exoskeletal Blast is intended to target things with Exoskeletons, blasting the bones right off of the poor insect. It was very Pelloth like, but I wanted to keep him from having to destroy your own mini. The important part here is that Kraul Exoskeletons do block Special Attacks. Meanwhile, the Kraul Wing Soldier is meant to only be one part of the Kraul army, later Kraul designs may not have the Exoskeleton markers ready to protect them. The pricing is cheap to allow the player to field other units, while accounting for the sacrificial nature of the units.

@All Your Pie Green bugs may look goofy on a red card, but they really aren’t any other good spots for them. Vakrill looks just as goofy, and the rest of the generals don’t encourage blowing up your own figures.
@Arch-vile Thanks!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:34 AM
On vacation...

We do have a three bug tie, which means I have posted the runoff poll.

Thanks again to everyone who entered! Hopefully my computer will be working by the time the wonder is announced so I have to add all those names on my phone.

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old May 2nd, 2019, 04:22 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Now that the voting is over, I'll post my thoughts.

Atharm & Volucris Suicidium
It's a fun idea, but it's just too much. A lot of details went into making the larval thing realistic, and that's an ok starting point, but it needs reworking from there. Extra tokens, bonus movement, and eating larvas... In the end, "game not simulation" would improve the design and allow it to focus in on the real core of the units, which I see as the suicide attackers respawned by the Queen. Drop the details like larva tokens and focus in on that.

Insectar Queen and Guard
Turn interruption powers are all sorts of dangerous from a rules perspective. To do them correctly you need to validate them against ever other power they can interact with, which is a lot. Guards! Guards! has a lot of problems with the ability to move figures when defending, as it does not specify what kind of attacks. If it works against special attacks, that adds a whole world of trouble. For one example, Mimring's Fire Line. If the Queen is the 2nd figure in line defending, and the guards move in, what does it mean the attack's target changes? Fire Line does not even technically target anything. The same problem can happen with explosion-like special attacks. Those do have a target, but the Queen might not be the first one to defend. Also, for Guardian's Strike, special powers other than attacks technically do not target anything. Sometimes you choose a figure, but that's different than targeting. And some are always active, like Swirling Vortex.

Kkyal the Enforcer and Kraul Wing Soldier
Interesting concept here with the exploding exoskeletons. I like the use of Exoskeleton here on Kkyal; it has some different strategies when on a hero with more than one Life. There's an interplay I don't like here, though, at least thematically. Exoskeletal Blast at least sounds like it explodes an exoskeleton, but it doesn't destroy the figure it originates from. It isn't even more likely to kill that figure. In fact, the Soldier can use an Exoskeleton marker to prevent the damage inflicted by its own Exoskeletal Blast, since it's a special attack.

Kraal and Drone
I appreciate the simplicity and the (essentially) reuse of existing powers. The unlimited roll of 20 on Locust Swarm is too far, though. These are move 9 (with Kraal) fliers; there has to be an upper limit on their activations. I don't really get Krall. First Assault and Leadership on the same unit is unusual, but it can work, but neither fits either thematically or gameplay-wise with being a Stoic Protector. It feels like a lack of a vision of what the unit is supposed to be.

Mazirek, Kraul Necromancer and Golgari Vanguard
With these being from a system at least somewhat different than Heroscape, I can't really judge the powers or unit stats. The cards look really pretty, though, and at least sound interesting to play.

While I don't especially like Toxic Skin on this figure, I don't really have a good reason to say that. It fits into the design well enough. Fortune's Favor is valuable, though it doesn't feel like it fits in with the rest of the design. A different, more thematic name for the power would go a long way here. The biggest problem I see is the power level of the Drones. 25pt is not cheap, but the combination of 3 activations minimum, 3 Attack, Mob Attack, and Stealth Flying is crazy strong offensively. They're somewhat costly but that's brutal.

Queen Ghuddedio and Kraul Grunt
I really appreciate the simplicity here. I have a hard time believing they'll be effective, though. They need to get into position to act, both the Grunts and the Queen. But when they do so they'll get picked off, in a hurry. Worse, if the Queen takes a hit the whole thing falls apart. It's too fragile, even with the impressive speed. I'm also thrown off by Tenacious Queen. It's a fine idea for a power, but any power that stops working after a little damage is the opposite of "tenacious." Still, I like the idea, and at least against some armies they would work. Got my vote.

Queen Odonata and Feldspar Drone
The magic-y Wall of Thorns doesn't feel like it fits in the rest of the design, but it's not a bad power. Protect the Queen and Insect Hive Mind feel like they're on the wrong cards. I suppose you put them where they are because of the "rest of the round" effect, but that would happen naturally if the Queen was killed early and took order markers with her. I do like the overall concept of the Queen sitting out as a sort of launching point for First Assault strikes.

S'Kraax Queen and Drone
The "may not attack" portion of Insect Queen Protection has some rules problems. For example, splash damage from explosion attacks. But then you copied the (bad) wording from Zogross, so I can't fault you. Overall the design is clean and solid, though I see almost no reason to send the Queen into battle until cleanup; a single attack of 4 isn't worth the effort. Still, the clean design got my vote.

Volaticus and Green Horned Warrior
I like the reuse of Flutter; it will help in cleanup when Volaticus finally rolls out of the starting zone. Pheromone Phrenzy has some rules problems. What does it mean the it "must attack once?" What if it ends its movement not adjacent to any other figures? A figure cannot attack itself. Or is the intention that it must move adjacent to another figure? If so, what if that is impossible?

Vorelanj and Dread Locust Dragoon
The theme of Blowfly Infestation is a little strange to me, but the power is neat. Is it intentional that it can repeat itself as long as you keep rolling 17+ (and keep killing units with the 1 wound)? Mortal Shed is kinda cool, but I'm not a fan of tracking which units have used it during a turn. It's not a major issue, though, as a single turn isn't all that long. Your Q&A is incorrect, though. A figure can retarget on its turn as many times as it likes. If a power doesn't force the attacking figure to attack it, they are free to retarget as much as they like.

Xiphydri Commander and Drone
These are my designs. After the many designs I've worked on, I've come to believe the epitome of design is to make something that is very simple yet is both thematic and plays completely differently than anything else. I feel like I achieved that here. The adjacency-only bonding requirement of the Commanders makes for a different playstyle. Simple enough at first, but once you get into the fray the decisions get very complex. Spreading out to attack many targets is very tempting to be sure, but once the formation breaks down it gets very difficult to command the Drones in future turns. On the other hand, holding formation makes each individual turn less efficient. The sheer number of attacks you can get is worrisome without testing, but I suspect it will be ok. Even if it is an awesome first-strike unit it's a costly one (145 points), probably too costly to use in such a fashion. I also know it's odd that the Drone does not have a Mindless personality, but I wanted the unit to have uses outside of just a Xiphydri build.
Old May 5th, 2019, 01:27 AM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've tabbed all the submissions for look see later. Those AotP frames are tight.

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards