Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old July 16th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker
I'm looking forward to playtesting the whole 300 point combo of
Deathwalker 9000, Zettian Guards, and Warden 816

If I work Ornak in with some gruts than I have Deathwalker and Warden both attacking on turn 1, The gruts and ornak on turn 2, and the zettians with a range boost on turn 3. Whole army moved and attacking every turn

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:18 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot
I'm looking forward to playtesting the whole 300 point combo of
Deathwalker 9000, Zettian Guards, and Warden 816

If I work Ornak in with some gruts than I have Deathwalker and Warden both attacking on turn 1, The gruts and ornak on turn 2, and the zettians with a range boost on turn 3. Whole army moved and attacking every round

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:35 AM

T-bomb has disabled reputation
Sonlen is a wet blanket on the DW9k, zettian, warden 816 army unfortunately. But before he comes out I'm definitely going to play those guys at our next weekly heroscaping!
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Are the Zettians still the only two-man squad? I find that it hurts their viability a lot - lose one man from a three-man squad and you lose a third of your capability, which is tough, but lose one half of a two-man squad and it's often not worth wasting an order marker on that unit for the rest of the game.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old July 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM

KCU_Master_2009 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: The Book of Zettian Guards

I've been instructed that when I play with these guys to use them last because of their life. Or else they'll be struck down and I won't have back up once my other army members are destroyed.
I love that they have 7 defense but it stinks they only have one life...
How do you all play your guards?
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU_Master_2009 View Post
I'm afraid that at this point, most people would have to answer, "I don't." The lack of enthusiasm for the Zettians is due, exactly, to the reasons you've discovered...they don't do much and they die too easily.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU_Master_2009 View Post
I've been instructed that when I play with these guys to use them last because of their life. Or else they'll be struck down and I won't have back up once my other army members are destroyed.
I love that they have 7 defense but it stinks they only have one life...
Just to be clear, all squads have only one life - when a squad figure takes a hit, it is removed from the board.

To answer your question, the only time I see the Zettians played is when I play with my young cousins, who have the RotV and Marvel sets courtesy of yours truly. They love the high defense and have just recently learned about their synergy with Deathwalker 9000, and they love that combo.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The metagame does place these two guards in a low ranking. I however like to expand my thoughts a little and focus on situations where a unit can enjoy some success...

Low point games: These guys have a huge defense, and in lower point games there are fewer chances that someone will bring a defense by-passer. Still there are a few options that still scare the two-man squad, DeD and Murphy being such options.

Start zone set up: If your zone is close to height that these guys can get to, consider drafting them, with height they can pack a decent punch, their biggest problem is getting to it.

Support: Some of the other figures that boost these guys the most ALSO get no love due to basic metagame considerations. DW9k and Warden 816 both have "glass jaw syndrome" and can be hard to fit into an army. With both of them however the Zet's have a fair bit of anti-hero potential, and all three cards have staggering defense and a fair bit of offensive pop. Their biggest concern is common swarms, and 9K's splash attack CAN help with that. But Splash damage can be easy to avoid, so it depends on the map if there will be sufficient "clogging points" for the SA to have any great impact on swarms.

Just a few thoughts... I like to draft these guys every now and then and they generally do pretty well, they just have to be used in the right situations, and you need some sort of anti-swarm support to go with them.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM

MalignantT is surprisingly tart

As was said earlier, I think these guys are alright for early game sniping or end game clean up. If you put DW9K out first, hold the Zets back. I prefer to put two markers on the Zets and two on 9K, mixing them up enough so my opponent doesn't really know who to target. The whole tin-foil armor is always a problem, but 7 def is usually enough to last a good long while. 9K is such a target that I think the Zets do good cleaning up everything on their way to get just him.

Maybe "Embrace the Suck" is why I like these guys.

I might be a little too in love with themed armies, but an all evil Soulborg army, with DeathWalkers 9K and 8K, Reavers, Zets, and Warden 616, while a bunch of metal walking around with no turn-bonding ability, is still an acceptable movement, good range, high defense army, with the rats running melee interference and the Warden tearing up figures like Drake (or at least putting a dent in Drake's armor/life before 816 gets himself killed).
510 will get you the lot with rats x2, which I think is pretty decent, or for an even 500 get Marcu & Isamu to fill the void for janitorial duty.

One of my big wishes for the game (cue Jiminy) is that some official ruling would come down the pipe to make these Uniques Squads from the original master set into some Common Squad, or alternative Unique Squads, for us lunatics who have 5+ sets of the RotV.
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Like any unit, they can have their moment of glory here and there. Not often, mind you, but it does happen. In a game a few months ago, they were the absolute VIPs for my opponent. I simply couldn't kill the tin cans, and their rolling tore apart my army. Anything's possible.

The key is obviously pumping up their attack in some way... either with height, glyph, Tae, or viking spirit. (viking spirit is the best option) When throwing down two base attacks at 3 and then 4, at range 7, with a base 7 defense, they can be a real threat on the field. Just don't waltz them up against a wall of 4th Mass and expect them to live... As an end-game unit, they're not half-bad... But they do need the Warden to speed them up a bit... Or just go with a 30pt Tarny Tim for a speedy viking spirit.

Granted, there will almost always be a better option, but nothing is more satisfying than seeing the Zet Twins rock a game now and then.

But yes, I'm certain we'd all love to see another future unit release to boost the Tweedles again. (Warden helped, but even more help would be great!)

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I'm constantly looking for a reason to play these guys, but every time I get halfway thru the army build a different unit makes more sense for 70 points (or 70 more points).

Looks like a natural fit to include Warden 816 with the Zettians, but it seems to eat too many points to quick IMO.

-insert signature here-
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:08 AM

N-Scaper94 *glass shatters*

Awsome team to add to your army! Zettians are good if used well.

God loves you and He wants you to be saved today!

If at first you don't succeed, don't go sky diving

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units