Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Notices

Old January 18th, 2022, 09:09 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Dilmir: A Tale of Feylund

That is official looking to be sure, just like the maps in my D&D modules. To think of all the hours I've wasted in Photoshop doing the same

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 18th, 2022, 12:54 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
That is official looking to be sure, just like the maps in my D&D modules. To think of all the hours I've wasted in Photoshop doing the same

~TAF
Wonderdraft is good for sure. Well worth the $30 IMO if you're making maps frequently. He also has a dungeondraft version specifically for making dnd dungeon maps; might be useful for you.

~TGRF.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 02:13 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@TheAverageFan @William099

So like I said a few posts ago, I've been re-reading the Dilmir sequels. I've been discovering again all the worldbuilding I sank into that world, and reliving the unexplored plots and ideas I never wrote. The trilogy definitely has a good number of flaws. The first book is slow and has lots of training. The second book has more training and lacks direction. The third book is paced better but suffers from undeveloped motivations. But there's a lot of potential there, and I feel like if I were to rewrite the series as a whole, and perhaps bring in a lot of the stuff I never wrote, it could yield some good reading.

The question is if there is interest for such a rewrite. It would follow the same lines as my Utgar rewrite in that it would have the same basic setting and start, but the story would probably be pretty different.

I'm currently at a point interest-wise where I could take or leave Dilmir. If you think you'd read a rewrite series, I could get the development going pretty quickly. If not, then I could just as easily continue where I am.

What's your preference?

~TGRF.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 05:17 PM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I’d certainly read a rewrite

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old January 23rd, 2022, 11:38 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I said earlier that I'd like more to Dilmir and that still holds true. Plus I think as a writer it's a good exercise to look back at one of what you consider your lesser works and see what you can do to improve it.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 24th, 2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
I said earlier that I'd like more to Dilmir and that still holds true. Plus I think as a writer it's a good exercise to look back at one of what you consider your lesser works and see what you can do to improve it.

~TAF
I agree. The basic structure of Dilmir is already there; all I need to do is improve the lesser parts and add improvements. And make the plot sufficiently different, of course.

~TGRF, already with ideas.

EDIT: After some preliminary development of the series as a whole, it looks like we could have four stories. No promises, but that's the number things fell into.

Last edited by TGRF; January 24th, 2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old January 26th, 2022, 09:11 AM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The fact that you consider Dilmr one of your lesser works says a lot about your skill as a writer, I thoroughly enjoyed the serious the first time through and felt they were great books.

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old January 26th, 2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
The fact that you consider Dilmr one of your lesser works says a lot about your skill as a writer, I thoroughly enjoyed the serious the first time through and felt they were great books.
I wouldn't say it's one of my lesser works; that was TAF who said that.

I would say they had some big issues, but they also had some really good parts I'm definitely proud of. I'd say they're in the middle of my writing spectrum: some good, some bad. At the top you have something like Red, with very little bad. At the bottom you have Apocalypse, where the bad far outweighed the good and brought the whole thing down. At least in my opinion.

Hopefully this rewrite will hit the top of that spectrum.

~TGRF.
Old January 26th, 2022, 05:05 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; January 26th, 2022 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Always up for reading more of TGRF's works...and re-works.
Old January 27th, 2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post

~TGRF, happy for the support.
Old February 1st, 2022, 02:40 PM

Quick update: I've been running into problem after problem trying to rewrite this. They all stem from what I call 'deviants', which is what happens when the story doesn't line up with the theme or character arc. Motivations or obstacles are about defeating something unrelated, and the character arc becomes an unimportant side story with no bearing on what happens. This usually happens because there's another story worming it's way in, or because I built the world too fast and am now relying on it for conflict rather than the character arc.

I'm going to need to start over completely I think, because what I have now isn't going to work. I'll keep you updated.

~TGRF.
Old February 8th, 2022, 02:25 PM

Update: So the basic outline for the rewrite is there. It's two stories long, I know how things begin and end, and have the structure for what happens between. But a story is more than just a plot, and it's all that other stuff which is giving me issues.

There was a very good reason I removed the original Dilmir stories, and have refrained until now from rewriting them, and that's because I knew the theme would never work unless I made a lot of controversial decisions with the plot, setting, and characters. I'm not ready to write that theme yet. I thought I could get away with only using part of it in this rewrite, but I was wrong. I can tell I was wrong because no matter how I spin it, by the end of the second book everyone has failed, instead of succeeding. Additionally, the story as a whole felt fairly bland and uninspired.

So I cannot currently rewrite Dilmir. The theme is there, but I'm not at this time ready to write it or able to do it full justice. And when I do, due to the nature of the theme, it will probably not fit as a Dilmir rewrite. It might work as a fan fiction, or it might be that it's better suited to novel form. At this time I don't know.

Now Dilmir could still get a rewrite. I will say that it is unlikely, given the theme-inherent in Dilmir's character and setting, but it is possible that I will find a new theme, or a new way to express what I need to.

But for the time being, there will unfortunately be no rewrite of Dilmir. Without Dilmir, I do not currently have a story in the works, so it could be a bit before I find something else to write. Working on Dilmir has shown me some areas I definitely want to work on, and I'd still like to get some sort of series out, so I'd say that will probably happen at some point. But currently nothing is in the works.

I will keep you updated, so be sure to watch my blog. And I apologize for getting your hopes up. Again.

~TGRF.

EDIT: There's one way the rewrite can still work. I'm looking into it.

Last edited by TGRF; February 10th, 2022 at 10:42 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction