Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old September 6th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Strategic Maneuvers Tips and Tricks: Leashing

Leashing
by Tai-Pan

Leashing is a relatively simple move that can be practiced in almost every circumstance. It is called leashing because the effect is has is similar to a large dog straining at a leash or chain that has a person or stake on the other end; It prevents an enemy unit from moving any further in their desired direction without the threat of taking damage.

To leash one moves a squad or hero adjacent to an enemy and then moves toward the figures rear side, away from friendly lines so that the enemy can no longer advance without risk of taking disengagement hits. With one figure it is best to have it directly behind the enemy, with two it is best to have them on the two rear diagonal hexes not adjacent to each other, and with three it is best to make a curve around the backside of the enemy unless the opponent has Jotun, DW9000, or another unit that can attack several adjacent figures at once. The placement of the units involved in leashing greatly limits the effect an enemy unit can have on your army. It forces them to take a disengagement hit for every unit involved in leashing, or to kill every unit adjacent to them, which can sometimes take a while. Thus, leashing can be used to hold an enemy while you move a heavy hitter like Drake or Carr forward to deal with them, or to allow you to move your ranged figures back so the enemy won't be able to reach them once they are free.

Leashing can be done with most any unit, though it is best to use quick common squads, such as the Venoc Vipers, units that are durable and hard to kill, such as Reavers, or one strong hero that can stick around and stay alive without having to put order markers on them, such as X17. X17 is especially effective because of his Improved Cyberclaw, which prevents large, medium, or small figures from moving if they are engaged to him. Similarly, the Gladiatrons work as long as the target is medium or small. The Knights of Weston, due to their Coward's Reward, are twice as effective as other units. The enemy would have to take two disengagement hits for every Knight, and most of the time, your opponent won't take the risk.

Leashing is best used to stop or slow the advance of a powerful figure, or to hold it in an inopportune position, such as in water, below other figures in terms of height, or on lava field tiles. It can be used to save an important support figure, like Raelin or Taelord, or a heavy ranged fighter, like Q9 or Syvarris. It works well against Su-Bak-Na, and Jotun if you keep your figures from being adjacent, as it forces a hero with an incredibly high attack to take a leaving hit, or waste their turn killing one of several low cost units. It also works well using just one figure (preferably one with a decent defense) against Nilfheim, because if Nilfheim fails to kill the leashing figure with his special attack, the other two attacks are wasted.

Leashing does not work well against figures that can destroy several figures in one turn, such as Braxas, Grimnak, Kaemon Awa, or Q9, or against figures with disengage or phantom walk such as orcs or ninja. It is not as effective against units with counterstrike, like the Samurai, because most units used for leashing don't have the attack power to bring down a Samurai without risking getting killed.

Recommended figures: Venoc Vipers, Armoc Vipers, Elite Onyx Vipers, Deathreavers, Marro Drones. Warriors of Ashra, Ashigaru Yari, Gladiatrons, Knights of Weston

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; January 20th, 2009 at 03:48 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM

iamawesome Woo who?
Re: Strategic Maneuvers Tips and Tricks: Leashing

This is a really cool idea
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Nicely explained Tai-pan. I think this is something many of us already do either without realizing it (since that's pretty much what the Deathreavers are for), and/or not having a tactical name (and well explained write up) to go with it.

-insert signature here-
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This is definitely good advice. I think that I might also add the Marro Warriors to this as well, since they have pretty solid move and can regenerate. They are also cheaper per figure than the Drones, EOV and Armocs.
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Dumb Dwarf has disabled reputation

Surprised the KoW didn't make it on your list. Granted they aren't exactly fast, but they are durable, and you only need one of the 4 to "leash" a target. Sir Denrick for that matter since he has cowards reward and conveniently bonds with the knights.
Also I would say leashing Nilfheim is worth it if you use a single durable figure. If they get greedy with Nilf and try his special, its a waste of an Order Marker if the unit lives.

DD

I just hope Aquilla doesn't summon me any time soon.
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM

temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumb Dwarf View Post
Surprised the KoW didn't make it on your list. Granted they aren't exactly fast, but they are durable, and you only need one of the 4 to "leash" a target. Sir Denrick for that matter since he has cowards reward and conveniently bonds with the knights.
Also I would say leashing Nilfheim is worth it if you use a single durable figure. If they get greedy with Nilf and try his special, its a waste of an Order Marker if the unit lives.

DD
I don't think we should listen to you since you are a dumb dwarf.

Dave Grohl + Josh Homme + John Paul Jones= awesome
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp.nerd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumb Dwarf View Post

DD
I don't think we should listen to you since you are a dumb dwarf.
DD makes an excellent point, though. Nilfheim's my favorite unit to play and he's perhaps more prone to leashing than anybody else. That's why it's so important to leave him unengaged (see also fellow Nilfheim fan Jexik's excellent Unit Strategy Review).
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadom View Post
DD makes an excellent point, though. Nilfheim's my favorite unit to play and he's perhaps more prone to leashing than anybody else. That's why it's so important to leave him unengaged (see also fellow Nilfheim fan Jexik's excellent Unit Strategy Review).
Yes - which is the main reason Deathreavers are so excellent when combined with Nilfheim. If you can keep him unengaged, he's probably the best figure in the game at bouncing around and killing the figures most dangerous to your army at that time. Even if he is "leashed", it's often times better to risk the leaving engagement attack and make sure you get those three Ice Shard shots.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:01 AM

Hal0fan117 is surprisingly tart

I would think the Warriors of Ashra would be premium picks for "Leashing" seeing as how they can avoid attacks from adjacent figures with only 1 skull.

2013, Still alive.
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Updated. Added info about Nilfheim, and updated recommended figures

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Cool! This is helpful.

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Okay, I'm just not getting it. Why is it any better to be behind the figure than in front of it? Doesn't seem to really matter to me. What am I missing? Plus if you're in front of them, they have to go around your figure if they want to disengage, thus slowing their forward movement...

Also, I would think Samurai would be excellent leashing units because the "leashed" figure has to either take the leaving engagement strike or risk a counterstrike if they try to destroy the leasher...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations

Last edited by The B.I.V.; January 22nd, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles