Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 24th, 2021, 09:08 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Schismatic's Customs- 11/17 *new* Crumland Creatures

Always nice to see dino customs in Heroscape. In Diving Swoop Special Attack, I think you forgot to use the power name in the second sentence and you need to refer to "this" Pteralask at the end of the sentence. Aside from that, nice work!
Old November 25th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I really like the Nychus design but do think they’re too cheap. I’m thinking 15 points each is a better value.
Old November 25th, 2021, 05:07 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
I really like the Nychus design but do think they’re too cheap. I’m thinking 15 points each is a better value.
Thanks. I think you’re right that they are too cheap as they are. Didn’t get quite enough playtesting on Neichus before posting tbh, but following discussion really helps save some time.

Since the aim is a 5 point unit, I’d rather first try to make changes to the unit. I think the diminishing returns and instability of a unit could bring it into 5 point territory, though it’s easy to end up in a delicate place. A few diminished returns are present between the absence of climb and limiting your starter zone with poor stat figures. I’ll have to do more tests flooding starter zones and having a few high price figures, using up all your points. The 16 or higher is just a fancy way of being the same as 10-15 if you have no other unique hunter hero’s.

Pack hunting could still be messed with a bit. It had only just become schematically how I liked it. Another con to mention from this would be the unreliability/risk involved when trying to use Neichus as an order marker hub for unique hunter hero’s. Why I settled on the current numbers.

Real Deinoneichus are quite deadly with their curved claws, so 2 attack I don’t feel the need change. I wouldn’t be opposed to 1 def other than comparing to the 2 def insects, but then again a giant insect would be resilient, so 1 def might help pull them into the 5 pt territory some more. The 5 point cost isn’t really questionable when there’s only 1 Neichus, which it shouldn’t be, but in higher numbers, it ofc gets a little complicated. I do enjoy the hunter synergy. Using multiples of them, it’s important that they aren’t accumulatively useless while still not great.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 26th, 2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old December 1st, 2021, 01:32 AM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Schismatic's Customs 11/29 *Recent Pack* -Crumland Creat

Introducing........................

Heroes of Ekstrom

ZINARI-

Figure Name: Human Female Rogue - Pathfinder Battles Premium Figures W1

LOGAN FALQUIN-

Figure Name: Human Male Cleric - Icons of the Realms Premium Figures W4

Raichen Jitterfoot-

Figure Name: Wererat Archer - Kingmaker #24 Pathfinder Battles D&D

Malghar Cinderscale-

Figure Name: Dragonborn Male Fighter - Icons of the Realms Premium Figures W1

Mentionable Updates

Attempted revamp for Grishlok
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; December 2nd, 2021 at 02:45 AM.
Old December 1st, 2021, 01:19 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Schismatic's Customs -11/30- Heroes of Ekstrom

Very cool and diverse batch of figures

Zinari: Very powerful but busy card here. She has both an attack and defense buff that are easy to get, as well as bonus wounding and a defense buff to an ally if they are close. I don't know if Blend Into Shadows is necessary here since she will be on Shadow spaces anyway when her twin shadow is nearby. I also don't know if Twin Shadows lets Zinari cross rivers etc. when active; I don't think so since it mentions Also which is good.

Logan: Inspiring Aura is powerful but difficult to set up. Last Hurrah is a little difficult to follow at present. As far as I understand it it's Dying Swipe but he can move if there's excess Skulls but no one adjacent to spend them on. The power mentions between rolling dice but all 3 are rolled at once as is. You could say "roll 3 attack dice one each at a time" and "between rolling dice, if there are no opponent's figures adjacent to Logan...". It might also be a bit too niche as is; you could bump it to 4 dice to make it more likely, but that'd mostly just make him a better hero killer.

Raichen: Treasure Scavenging is pretty fun and enables Raichen to nab glyphs no matter how difficult to reach they are (even ones in impossible locations) which is great for a mouse figure. It's pretty unique too compared to other TG powers. Other than that he's fast and slippery but squishy which is also appropriate.

Malghar: Shield Smack on a 5 Life/5 Defense figure is pretty brutal, especially since it works on Special Attacks as well. Not too dangerous against Heroes, but still. Perhaps it should only trigger once per turn, as it's an odd visual imagining him shield-smacking a whole bunch of figures back-to-back. Other than that he's about on par with Rhogar which is appropriate, and the sculpt is great. Lastly the Cinderscale name isn't capitalized in the first power text.

Feels like a genuine D&D Heroes set. Well done

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 1st, 2021, 01:40 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I love these. Over the past few weeks I've become an avid follower of SchismaticSounds customs... if only I could afford to keep up with all these minis I'd use them all!!

2 cents:
Logan needs clarity: does he move 3 spaces after each individual die? The ability is unclear and probably needs some help with Wurdz.

Zinari: Pick between blend into shadow and twin shadows. Both abilities is a lot of business. You can playtest this, it might need to be kept with both abilities bc I'm sure you have blend into shadow there so that she can remain a "Shadow Assasin" regardless of whether there's a 2nd hero in the army. Zinari also should be changed to simply "Assasin" rather than "Shadow Assasin" since the latter undermines any potential synergy webs she could ever participate in.

Jitterfoot also needs some clarity: does "Treasure Scavenging" include height? Is that what is meant by minimum number of spaces? I'm also not in love with Wait then Fire on the card - it seems a bit antithetical to the name "Jitterfoot." But I don't think that's a dealbreaker, what a great custom.

Grishlok: Not a big fan of the revamp. There's just too much going on - you need to sacrifice 2 squad figures just to get 3 attack (admittedly, it's close to 6 attack bc the skulls double). I suppose there's a rare case where he's going in with some orcs against Q9 and you sacrifice a whole squad to give him 2 attacks of 10... but I don't know. Why not just give him 2+ attack and make it 2 additional dice per squad figure? Makes the ability simpler.

Another simple option is just to make eldritch blast 1 unblockable attack die (and can attack an additional time) and leave out the part about sacrificing squad figures. I understand the appeal of modeling this ability after Krishnak in sacrificing squaddies but it may be unnecessary.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I love these. Over the past few weeks I've become an avid follower of SchismaticSounds customs... if only I could afford to keep up with all these minis I'd use them all!!
Wow, you've managed to put a much needed smile on my face
It means very much to me, and your patronage contributes to keeping these going.

I have only a few more customs coming to this thread, a 3 hero pack and 1 hero pack, and then to pick up with finishing the other threads.. so soon I will be slowing down with the consistent new posts.

I will continue to check the customs here for corrections and there are a select few minis I'm looking to work with upon release, so it definitely won't be the end. Perhaps this will give you some time to accumulate any of the customs you really enjoy

Quote:
Logan needs clarity: does he move 3 spaces after each individual die? The ability is unclear and probably needs some help with Wurdz.
It's intended that the 3 space movement does not reset.

Does this wording make more sense for Last Hurrah?:
Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
The power mentions between rolling dice but all 3 are rolled at once as is. You could say "roll 3 attack dice one each at a time" and "between rolling dice, if there are no opponent's figures adjacent to Logan...". It might also be a bit too niche as is;...
An interesting crossover with 'between rolling dice' and 'roll 3 attack dice one at a time'.
Do you think the simple wording inclusion above steers from that while making the function clear?

Quote:
Zinari: Pick between blend into shadow and twin shadows. Both abilities is a lot of business. You can playtest this, it might need to be kept with both abilities bc I'm sure you have blend into shadow there so that she can remain a "Shadow Assasin" regardless of whether there's a 2nd hero in the army. Zinari also should be changed to simply "Assasin" rather than "Shadow Assasin" since the latter undermines any potential synergy webs she could ever participate in.
Actually, she was heavily intended to be a doppelganger for Mika Connour who lacks any thematically associating synergies, but I like to think that I had that in mind as well haha. It does help for when she is alone.

Simply giving another figure on the table the Blend in Shadows ability makes Mika Connours gameplay much more interesting, and I found through testing that the Twin Shadows also held a good deal of spice for their duo. I haven't actually playtested Zinari yet by herself. Twin Shadows mechanic stems from and borrows from Byrikon's hive mind integration.

Some fun background: Zinari is a letter switch name from Nizari which were the people responsible for the origin of the word Assassin.

Quote:
I don't know if Blend Into Shadows is necessary here since she will be on Shadow spaces anyway when her twin shadow is nearby. I also don't know if Twin Shadows lets Zinari cross rivers etc. when active; I don't think so since it mentions Also which is good.
I must have added the 'also' specific earlier on and am now quite proud it.

The benefit of both Blend into Shadows and Twin Shadows is fun and dynamic paired with Mika Connour. I could see Blend into Shadows being removed, but since it has felt balanced and enjoyable so far in playtesting, I don't find it necessary for now. I'd say Zinari is one of the customs here that may have been premature to post, but I didn't want to stew longer withholding showing.

Giving your feedback some thought, I upped the point value from 120->130.

Raichen Jitterfoot:
Quote:
does "Treasure Scavenging" include height? Is that what is meant by minimum number of spaces? I'm also not in love with Wait then Fire on the card - it seems a bit antithetical to the name "Jitterfoot." But I don't think that's a dealbreaker, what a great custom.
The wording follows the same rules as used for the Mohicans concealment so no height.

It seems I have a tendency towards antitheticism, and in this case it's a bit comical. A mild characteristic of being unable to sit still, yet she is sneaky enough to focus when she needs to. Or is she jittery for the treasure?? I'm glad that you like the custom!

Quote:
Treasure Scavenging is pretty fun and enables Raichen to nab glyphs no matter how difficult to reach they are (even ones in impossible locations) which is great for a mouse figure. It's pretty unique too compared to other TG powers. Other than that he's fast and slippery but squishy which is also appropriate.
I'm really glad that you like this one and that the theme wasn't a deal breaker.
It was nice to be able to bring over a ratkin figure (that would have fit into my rat customs universe) into Valhalla.

Quote:
Grishlok: Not a big fan of the revamp. There's just too much going on - you need to sacrifice 2 squad figures just to get 3 attack (admittedly, it's close to 6 attack bc the skulls double). I suppose there's a rare case where he's going in with some orcs against Q9 and you sacrifice a whole squad to give him 2 attacks of 10... but I don't know. Why not just give him 2+ attack and make it 2 additional dice per squad figure? Makes the ability simpler.

Another simple option is just to make eldritch blast 1 unblockable attack die (and can attack an additional time) and leave out the part about sacrificing squad figures. I understand the appeal of modeling this ability after Krishnak in sacrificing squaddies but it may be unnecessary.
Granted it is a lot more going on then before.
The previous design for Grishlok was a little too simple and I wasn't interested in it.

The Eldritch Blast is apparently a main attack of Warlocks in DnD. A correction of your interpretation however, he may only sacrifice 1 figure per turn, so a max of 2 attacks of 2 (ranged deadly strike).

The Kuthnak similarity was in the back of my mind somewhat, but it was the backstabbing looking knife in his hand that pushed the theme in that direction. Also, Eldritch Blast is a necrotic attack, and the relatively low cost of death chasers fits. Hmm, He doesn't actually have any direct synergy with death chasers, but I like the hex idea for slowing down their prey!

Playtesting should definitely smooth out some rough edges, and I'll look into that option of 2+ attack.

Quote:
Malghar: Shield Smack on a 5 Life/5 Defense figure is pretty brutal, especially since it works on Special Attacks as well. Not too dangerous against Heroes, but still. Perhaps it should only trigger once per turn, as it's an odd visual imagining him shield-smacking a whole bunch of figures back-to-back. Other than that he's about on par with Rhogar which is appropriate, and the sculpt is great. Lastly the Cinderscale name isn't capitalized in the first power text.
Definitely should be once per turn! I like shield bash effecting special attacks as well, but I'm unsure if it would have to be only normal attacks. Since it says 'attacks from an adjacent attacking figure', that would be "one figure", but then if he defends against a squad's special attack. ex. zombies or yari, I guess he doesn't get to use it.

Thanks again for your thought and time spent giving feedback.
I wouldn't be where I am without it..
Old December 2nd, 2021, 09:20 AM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Glad to encourage you! Your customs are awesome!

Yes, the rewording of Logan's ability is helpful

If Zinari is more fun in playtesting with both abilities, keep both abilities!

Here's something I came up with on Grishlok: I've made him a priest instead of a Warlock, because that knife definitely makes him look like he's about to make a sacrifice. It keeps the blood theme so common in Orc heroes (Krug, Kuthnak, etc) as well as the backstabbing you were talking about and imo is a really clean way of accomplishing what you're going for. Lmk what you think

https://ibb.co/mGsJPmx

It needs to be playtested, but as best I can theoryscape it this Grishlok seems balanced. He can get double attack with 6 attack from range (unheard of power) but it takes 5 turns to get there, 5 sacrificed squaddies, and 5 OMs (I don't think orc priests have any bonding). So to use him at full power would require allowing your opponent to gain the initiative and most of the glyphs.

I think the biggest changes I would expect to make if you went with this design would be: perhaps increasing the base attack to 2 and limiting the sacrifices to 3 or 4, and perhaps giving some kind of bonding (making him an orc champion perhaps?)

Last edited by Knox; December 2nd, 2021 at 10:01 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Here's something I came up with on Grishlok: I've made him a priest instead of a Warlock, because that knife definitely makes him look like he's about to make a sacrifice. It keeps the blood theme so common in Orc heroes (Krug, Kuthnak, etc) as well as the backstabbing you were talking about and imo is a really clean way of accomplishing what you're going for. Lmk what you think

https://ibb.co/mGsJPmx

It needs to be playtested, but as best I can theoryscape it this Grishlok seems balanced. He can get double attack with 6 attack from range (unheard of power) but it takes 5 turns to get there, 5 sacrificed squaddies, and 5 OMs (I don't think orc priests have any bonding). So to use him at full power would require allowing your opponent to gain the initiative and most of the glyphs.

I think the biggest changes I would expect to make if you went with this design would be: perhaps increasing the base attack to 2 and limiting the sacrifices to 3 or 4, and perhaps giving some kind of bonding (making him an orc champion perhaps?)
An interesting switch up playing with similar ideas. 5 turns to charge up a single figure is a lot and a bonding would help, though the cross orc synergy I've tried to keep from. I wouldn't go above 2 sacrifices per turn, partly because the multiple sacrifices leaves a quick hole in your offenses/screen. I'd like to see how it plays, though being relatively squishy and spending a lot of time to give him crazy offense is difficult to tell the balance of. Against a melee only team, I think he would be quite affective for as long as he keeps away from the opponent's advance. Against range, might be a tougher time. With max and height, that'd be 2 attacks of 7!
Old December 2nd, 2021, 05:00 PM

His synergy could be with a demon (since those are all in Valkrill).

A modified version would be:
Base: 2 attack
Offering of blood ability: +1 attack to Gothlok per sacrifice OR remove 1 wound from a demon you control per sacrifice (could be changed to AND instead of OR based on playtesting). Max 4 sacrifices

Add Demon Bonding

Playtest with and without double attack
Old December 22nd, 2021, 02:30 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Schismatic's Customs -12/10 Pre SoV Updates.

Playtesting for PHOAH RA

Game 1:
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2:
Spoiler Alert!

Game 3:
Spoiler Alert!

Final Thoughts:
The 230-point price tag for Phoah Ra and the two Crypt Guardians necessary to fully utilize his powers meant I didn't really want to build an army with him that didn't commit further to Guard synergy, but Ra was a useful addition to the armies I played. The ability to move an extra figure each turn when compared to a Crypt Guardian Order Marker was huge for early-game development and really helped justify Ra's point cost, which seemed slightly high before he hit the table. Unfortunately, Ra usually died earlier than I expected in the games I played, but his strong Spirit power was a nice consolation in such cases.

Crypt Guardian Movement Bonding was most useful when running more than two Crypt Guardians, as it let me react to the opposing army's movements without committing an Order Marker to any of the Uncommon Guardian cards. I also noticed an interesting dynamic once Phoah Ra and the Crypt Guardians moved within striking distance of a figure or pod; although the combination of Paralyzing Stare and Curse of the Mummy makes Phoah Ra's single attack of 4 dice more potent than the Crypt Guardians' attacks of 3, opting for two weaker attacks was often necessary when faced with a cluster of figures or an attacking squad. Therefore, spending the Order Marker on a Crypt Guardian seemed the superior choice in the early game, when the opposing army was still strong, while Phoah Ra would be the better place for an Order Marker during cleanup or when assassinating a key piece. Adding other bonding targets for the Crypt Guardians complicates the decision, but Ra should still be useful eventually because the Guardians generally outlast these figures.

At times, Ra's Movement Bonding was awkward to use, as the slower, predominantly defensive Crypt Guardians were at risk of being outpaced by the frailer Ra, whose stats and powers are better suited to an aggressive role. It was also tricky to balance Order Markers between Ra and the Guardians in an army rich in Guard synergy, especially one featuring Warden 816's much-appreciated Guard Leadership (an otherwise natural choice for the 4-Move Crypt Guardians), as the additional board presence provided by Ra's valuable ability to move three figures at once was offset by a potential loss in offensive output provided by a bonding target other than another Crypt Guardian or by an reduction of the Crypt Guardians' Move (a flat 4 spaces from Movement Bonding compared to 5 from Guard Leadership). The possibility of using Ra to bait a figure into an engagement only to bring in two Crypt Guardians via a pincer maneuver was enticing when strategizing, but I was never able to make the trick succeed before being forced to respond to the opposing army's positioning.

Cursed Spirit was very helpful in two of the matches I played. Phoah Ra tended to attract more attention than his Crypt Guardian attendants simply because he carried a stronger normal attack, a potentially dangerous offensive power, and notably worse survivability, so throwing out a lingering debuff was a nice way to mitigate his inevitably early demise. Due to their slow Move and mediocre Attack, Crypt Guardians particularly enjoyed Ra's ability to soften and and hamstring opposing figures, and I often placed Ra on ranged units to mitigate their ability to kite the Crypt Guardians.

I didn't make enough attacks with Ra to speak fairly on Paralyzing Stare, but it was definitely useful when Ra could trap a target between two Crypt Guardians.
Old December 23rd, 2021, 04:29 PM

Re: Schismatic's Customs -12/23 *New Pak* Explorers of Mulfr

Introducing.........

Explorers of Mulfraike

Mangat Karn-

Figure Name: Human Male Druid - Icons of the Realms Premium Figures W4 D&D

sidenotes:
Spoiler Alert!

Karina Ladrona-

Figure Name: Jirelle, Half-Elf Swashbuckler - Advanced Iconic Heroes 3 Pathfinder Battles D&D

sidenotes:
Spoiler Alert!

Anoosh Kiva - 75

Figure Name: Human Female Rogue - Icons of the Realms Premium Figures W5 D&D

sidenotes:
Spoiler Alert!

Here are just a few more heroes I was sitting on slowly doing tests for. Fairly simple mechanically with some spicy personalities.

A very merry christmas to you all and blessings to your new year.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; December 24th, 2021 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Had wrong pack title.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards