Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old February 5th, 2021, 05:22 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Casters of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garenex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Since OEAO decided to delete my amazingly convincing argument against TKN, what are people's thoughts on he being in the B+?
I was a little sad this got deleted. Maybe it could be released as a special short episode at some point if the recording is still around?

TKN always ended up being underwhelming when it came time to perform. He was awesome and intimidating at the beginning, but that usually just turned him into target number 1, and would get taken out before getting a chance to shine.

I can definitely see a lot of my impression of him getting chalked up to inexperience however.
I think B+ is the right place for TKN (or at least very close to that).

For me, the ranking system is a way of denoting how many matchups go well / badly / neutrally for a given figure and/or the best army build they are a meaningful component of.

TKN/Nagrubs/Raelin has the ability to just absolutely smash a lot of the non-top tier armies. 7 defense + healing is a combo that a lot of low attack squads just can't crack. Nagrubs with TKN kinda play similar to Blades w/ Grimnak in that manner; you've got cheap squaddies to keep your hero alive and kicking.

It's definitely an army that's harder to run well (most that aren't based around massed squads are though, because when you have a central figure that important any time you risk that figure you can just instant lose), but when run well it can really just eat through most of the worse commons. I.e. mistakes with TKN (or any hero-central build) are more costly than when you have 20 4th mass. But I don't think that should have much (if any) effect on power rankings, since power rankings are more about the potential of the figure/build.

On the flip side, squads that hit harder can eat through the nagrubs fast enough to make TKN run out of lives quicker, and so most of the armies above B+ have favorable matchups going into TKN.

Those are my thoughts at least. But I'm far from the best TKN player out there.
Old February 5th, 2021, 07:44 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I want to thank OEAO and Matthias for this latest episode of the podcast.

Those of you who have actually played heroscape with me or know me from gencon are well aware that, despite my passion and longevity with the game, I’m actually not much good at it. I’m not here because it’s an opportunity to asset dominance. Quite the contrary, my experience of playing competitive heroscape is mostly @dok needling me after my games. All in good fun, of course.

And good fun is what the game is about! To that end, I wanted to offer two additional things, just to supplement your really excellent representation of the community.

1. The local scene is the same, around the country. You don’t go to gencon but the scene that you heard described in the podcast sounds like it’s for you? Go to a local event. Or plan one yourself and see who comes (check the link in my sig for how to run your first event). Around the country, Heroscape self selects to draw the best people.

2. I asked @Craig Van Ness one year, at GC, why it is that Heroscape draws the best people. He said it’s because it’s a game that parents get to play with their kids. The people who play either grew into it that way, or they like a game with that feel. And that’s a good group of people to play with.

Finally, I just want to say that this episode was a good reminder of why Matthias is the best. I miss you, buddy, and all of the rest of you I sometimes see in Indianapolis.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 8th, 2021, 03:01 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The bonding melee episode was great, thanks for getting together and posting! I really enjoyed all the bits of strategy that tied back clearly to some recent games where champions were rushed in early, dwarves didn't slow roll, and Greenscales were used not as the screen but as a trailing melee force.
Old February 8th, 2021, 08:53 AM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
The bonding melee episode was great, thanks for getting together and posting! I really enjoyed all the bits of strategy that tied back clearly to some recent games where champions were rushed in early, dwarves didn't slow roll, and Greenscales were used not as the screen but as a trailing melee force.
That episode may be my favorite so far, granted I'm a few behind. I especially enjoyed the Axegrinders discussion, as they're my favorite army, thematically. The biggest realizations were that they may be better without Raelin, due to maintaining their flexibility and not being locked down to the area around her, and that you shouldn't always take the bonded leader turn.

A favorite army to run with the Dwarves, was to take Thorgrim and Finn, and after suiciding them, place both on Migol. Don't think I ever took out 270 points between the three figures, but it was always fun to run an enhanced Migol, since both the attack and defense boost complement his special abilities.

OG Heroscape collection completed on 6/21/2016!

The new collection begins...again...hopefully...at some point...maybe...CMON Renegade!
Old February 8th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks so much for listening, all! I’m really glad this stuff is helpful. I’ve made all these mistakes before, and recognizing them has allowed me to improve substantially.
Old February 8th, 2021, 02:39 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Been enjoying as well. I miss real live tournaments. I do agree that compared to other CCG, CMG, and I guess LCG, etc, we are a very friendly bunch that puts fun over competitiveness - like you said not that we all don't want to win, but not at the cost of being a jerk and making it less fun for other players more than just loosing fair and square.
Old February 10th, 2021, 05:25 PM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Thanks for letting me on the show and putting it up! And now for some links...

Original What's in an Order Marker article:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=12071

OM II

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=12139

OM IV

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=16962

Here's a link to the battle report that I referenced when talking about OM IV.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=15225
So I gotta ask, and sorry if it was mentioned and I missed it, was there a What's in an Order Marker part III?

The new collection begins...again...hopefully...at some point...maybe...CMON Renegade!
Old February 10th, 2021, 08:12 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Next topic planned for the podcast?
Old February 10th, 2021, 09:30 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Chainfighters, the new Raelin.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old February 10th, 2021, 10:58 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:

OM II

OM IV

So I gotta ask, and sorry if it was mentioned and I missed it, was there a What's in an Order Marker part III?
Yup, here's the link:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=13875

It's just not relevant to us because we don't play with customs.
Old February 10th, 2021, 10:59 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
No idea. I have a list of topics, and I usually choose it the day before the recording, depending on who's going to be available to cast that day.
Old February 11th, 2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
Quote:
Quote:

OM II

OM IV

Yup, here's the link:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=13875

It's just not relevant to us because we don't play with customs.
Thanks! Apparently my skill with the websites search functions is lacking, as I know I looked for it...

Really enjoyed the discussion regarding sportsmanship and die rolling etiquette. My games have generally employed the same practices, that being to re-roll anything that falls off the table or if it does not land flat. If too many dice are rolled, we always have it so it hurts the one who made the mistake, by taking away any skulls/shields equal to the extra dice rolled. Unless they're brand new and still learning the game, but most of the time newbies roll too few...

Last edited by Garenex; February 11th, 2021 at 12:07 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion