Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM

Vette71 has disabled reputation
I'm not really a big boardgamer, but my list of games in general:

1: War of the Ring (this game just looks too awesome)
2: Dungeons & Dragons Basic Game Box (kids would love it)
3: Doctor Who: Invasion Earth (I'm an idiot for not buying ages ago)
4: LoTR Tradeable miniatures Game
5: Attacktix (again, a no-brainer for the kids)
Old October 1st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I forgot to add Battlelore to my list. I want that, too. And I know the cheap bastards at Days of Wonder won't send me a review copy, so I'm going to have to buy it.
Old October 1st, 2006, 01:21 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Yeah, I forgot that too! Dang it.
Old October 1st, 2006, 06:28 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
You guys are some game playing mo fo's.

Goodness gracious.
You reckon? Given that most people's lists read as "played it; played it; own it; hate it; etc etc" for me, I was thinking what a bunch of wusses everyone else was! I have no idea how many games I own - somewhere around 1,000, I reckon.

Anyway, my "most anticipated" list is being written for the Essen Games Fair in a fortnight (woohoo - 5 days of playing, talking, and buying games!), contains a LOT more than 5 titles, and will be trimmed drastically as we start evaluating what's there.

For now, I suppose it's:
1 - Battlelore (even if it won't be available to buy for a month or two);
2 - Leonardo Da Vinci, by Da Vinci Games;
3 - Imperial, by eggerspiele (same designer as Antike);
4 - Shogun, by Queen (a re-work of Wallenstein);
5 - Underground, by JKLM (Markus has been singing its praises for a while).

I've actually got about 40 games on the "thinking of buying" list. I'll probably buy about 20 of those, and another 10 or so that aren't on the list but are cheap enough, or interesting enough, to grab while I'm there.

I get to spend a day demoing Perikles for Warfrog Games - last year's Byzantium was a bit "meh", but previously Martin designed Age of Steam (a "dumbed-down" version of which is on many people's lists - Railroad Tycoon), so he can deliver the goods on occasion.

As for Nether's list, Roads & Boats has been on my shelves for years now without ever getting played (just looks a touch too much like multiplayer solitaire); Through the Desert isn't quite as good as Tigris & Euphrates, both are great, but I actually prefer Samurai, the "third game" in this completely unofficial trilogy (but I am biased towards all three, as I count the designer as a friend of mine); St Pete I loathe and detest (I've only played it about 200 times, so I know it's not a snap judgement - I really do hate the game. But there is a free version available for download to the PC, and I like wasting time at work by playing mediocre games); Antike was my favourite game of last year (narrowly beating out Railroad Tycoon; there were other good games, but Antike just seemed so neat to me, and caught on big time around here).

Previous favourites worthy of mention include Puerto Rico (and the card game version, San Juan, is superb); Ra; Vinci (an acuired taste, perhaps, but I like this sort of "diceless Risk" game - see Antike!); Formula De Mini (ONLY the Mini version - not the big box game); Master Labyrinth (a family game, but a classic); Around the World in 80 Days (another family-weight game); Shadows Over Camelot (co-operative AND with a traitorous twist?). And let's mention Canal Mania as my current favourite, though after just two games that might not remain in the top 5 for ever.

If I have to choose just one to take to the desert island, it's Heroscape - not because it's the best game, or my favourite (it's neither, TBH), but because of the variety and the fun (two things you NEED on a desert island).

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old October 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
1. All things Scape.
2. Descent Expansion(s)
3. Battle Lore.
4. Rune Bound Expansions.
5. Doom/Plus expansion.

I do wanna try Dreamblade, but I'm weary that it'll drain my wallet. I'll just keep looking at the models online and at my FLGS.

Oh, and someone else mentioned the Mutant Chronicles CMG. I can't wait till that comes out.
Old October 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM

Avenger has disabled reputation
i kinda want battleball, but it came out a long time ago. is it still in stores?
Old October 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger
i kinda want battleball, but it came out a long time ago. is it still in stores?
Some stores still carry it. I picked mine up at my FLGS maybe two months ago for $14. I doubt stores like KB and TRU have it though. That would be a stretch.
Old October 1st, 2006, 09:00 PM

aardvark22 has disabled reputation
I picked up Battleball last year around the holidays at a KayBee Toys for $3!
Check at closeout type toy stores & you might get lucky. I think they way overproduced & sales didn't meet expectations. Its pretty fun though.
Aardvark
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:25 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
I was disappointed by both Doom and Descent. Both were overly long, and both had the same problem - that they didn't scale well for different numbers of players.

The scaling problem was VERY apparent for Doom - one marine, it was a walk in the park; three marines, it was an invitation to a butt-kicking contest.

Descent worked better, but it as (i) even longer, and (ii) got much, much easier as the game went on - that the Overlord player could kill the characters in the first couple of rooms, but by the end had no chance at all (especially with the "standard" deck-generated monsters). And did I mention that the game was long? 4 hours plus - time enough to do some proper roleplaying, almost. No doubt I'll still be suckered into buying expansions; not so with Doom - I already own the far superior Space Hulk, and can't imagine playing Doom when I coupl play either Descent or Space Hulk instead.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:53 AM

Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker
Not sure if this is my top 5, but these are games I'm curious about:

1) Battlelore
2) Dungeon Twister
3) Star Wars Epic Duels
4) RoboRally
5) Nexus Ops

I have a BattleBall game I'd be willing to trade/sell to people who are looking for a copy. I played it once and didn't like it much (I was comparing it to Blood Bowl, which is currently my favorite game). I've been using the BattleBall figures as proxies for my human team, but I'm going to be painting my Blood Bowl human team soon, so I won't need the BattleBall game anymore. Drop me a PM if you're interested.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Oh yeah! Dungeon Twister! Gotta add that one, too. Now I have 5.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
I forgot to add Battlelore to my list. I want that, too. And I know the cheap **** at Days of Wonder won't send me a review copy, so I'm going to have to buy it.
I briefly looked at Battlelore. I won't even tempt myself into that one. Heroscape is enough for me and my wallet.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games